• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jas0nt

Reaction score

Did you use thesun a cobbler jase?

I've topied a couple just to prolong their life and have toe taps on others. I know some people are against them aesthetically but to be honest- I don't get too many comments about how good the soles of my shoes look.

I use Redpath Leather repairs @ Garema Place. They seem to have done a nice job on my C&J and Loakes.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
I recommend Coombs in the Strand, Evonne and Paul knows their shoe care, and its a family owned business.
Brice's is also owned by Paul's family. His late father, Michelle, often used to work there on a weekend. Highly recommended. There really should be a sticky about shoe repairer's in Australia and Topy's. Please see my "essay" at post #25611.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, isn't the whole point of topy is that one does not need to resole, just replace the topy that also lasts 2 to 3 times longer.

Yes, that is correct. Some will say that the cork bed will eventually need replacing due to rot, but I think this will be largely avoided by using the Topy. The waist might also become badly damaged eventually, requiring a full re-sole. Then there is the whole Gemming argument as well.

I have spoken to local Cobblers and they usually don't replace the cork bed, just try to keep what's there in tact. If its really far gone I'd imagine they'd carve a piece of leather in its place. This is in contrast to the more optimal factory refurb, which is cost prohibitive for Aussies due to shipping overseas.

Incidentally, there are JR bark soles available online that one could give to a local cobbler to work with.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend Coombs in the Strand, Evonne and Paul knows their shoe care, and its a family owned business.
Brice's is also owned by Paul's family. His late father, Michelle, often used to work there on a weekend. Highly recommended. There really should be a sticky about shoe repairer's in Australia and Topy's. Please see my "essay" at post # 25611 .
Excellent post from that link. :teach:

MiguelSF

Reaction score
Brice's is also owned by Paul's family. His late father, Michelle, often used to work there on a weekend. Highly recommended. There really should be a sticky about shoe repairer's in Australia and Topy's. Please see my "essay" at post #25611.
Great read, cheers.

I've got a pair of unworn black dress shoes, apparently 100% all leather and hand-made in Italy (Rolando Sturlini), that I might try the topy method.

At least I'll get a feel of them as I've never put rubber "protection" on the soles of my shoes. I just chuck on in-soles for extra cush.

This would be my test sample. It ain't a Loake or Church's, but its nice enough to wear on non-suit days.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Canberrians fancy a meet? Maybe Saturday the 20th for Coffee? 10:30AM couple of good places in Lonsdale St Civic?

__PG__

Reaction score

So I walked into Harold's today and they had a beautiful Dark brown PAL Zileri trench however.....it was $2300.

any thoughts on how to source it cheaper from the states or overseas?

Should i go back in there, find out the model number and just use an overseas proxy?

I'd wait a few weeks. Harrolds should have their mid-year sale soon

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
Great read, cheers.

At least I'll get a feel of them as I've never put rubber "protection" on the soles of my shoes. I just chuck on in-soles for extra cush.

Your welcome. You might want to wear them a few times just so the soles take the shape of your foot a bit faster. It's not really necessary as I think the inner and mid soles adjust to the bottom of your foot, not the out sole, so the Topy doesn't really affect it. I'd also recommend a few coats of a good wax polish on the toes of those, it'll save you from scuffing toe box.

MiguelSF

Reaction score
Your welcome. You might want to wear them a few times just so the soles take the shape of your foot a bit faster. It's not really necessary as I think the inner and mid soles adjust to the bottom of your foot, not the out sole, so the Topy doesn't really affect it. I'd also recommend a few coats of a good wax polish on the toes of those, it'll save you from scuffing toe box.
Thanks for the bolded tip. I would've strolled into the cobblers with brand new shoes! Makes sense now.

I did go to Henry Buck's/DJ's and sadly an F Last is slightly too wide. I'm not a big fan of thick socks with business shoes, so looks like an E last would suffice.

Shame as E fittings offer less lasts...

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
good news for guys in Sydney - a selection of Double Monk's shoes will be available at PJohnson in a few months time

remember.. you heard it here first
lol8[1].gif

MiguelSF

Reaction score
I gave them a few coats of leather conditioner, and about 3 coats of wax polish on the toe box and heel counter.

Not excessive so I can let the leather age a bit. I've been using Kiwi stuff until I read about Saphir stuff so I'm keen to try that product line too.

I've seriously learned a lot on SF within the last few weeks. Cheers guys.

MiguelSF

Reaction score
Exactly. Even better that there is a dedicated Oz thread.

SF is just a dangerous place to lurk, as you blokes buy some seriously expensive threads!

worship.gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I walked into Harold's today and they had a beautiful Dark brown PAL Zileri trench however.....it was $2300.

any thoughts on how to source it cheaper from the states or overseas?

Should i go back in there, find out the model number and just use an overseas proxy?

Maybe try Ialian Imports in Murrumbeena? They stock some PZ, although they may not have that particular one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads