• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's with Topying shoes?

If I want wet-weather shoes I'll buy storm-welted Dainite. 

Topy just seems all wrong to me. Like condoms.

I just had my first pair done last week. I've always been against them and didn't do it to make them a wet weather shoe (already have those).

I replace the heel rubber and metal toe taps of my shoes about every 12-18 months and this makes a big difference to wearing life but my cobbler talked me in to trying it for 1 pair. I have to say as a former critic I'm really impressed. Good grip and he has done a great job of fitting them flush, and installed new taps over them very cleanly. Prob worth mentioning also that dainite, while good for keeping water out doesn't grip very well on slippery surfaces. Topy grips much better.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having topy done on shoes will not affect aesthetic of the shoe at all when viewing from the top, nor will it change fit of the shoes other than make it more grippy.

And I don't' see how a worn leather sole is better looking than a rubber topy? Keeping the original leather look would be the only reason for not topying.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh Lordy, can we not have this conversation again? Flares up once every few weeks when a new shoe enthusiast shows up.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
Did you use thesun a cobbler jase?

I've topied a couple just to prolong their life and have toe taps on others. I know some people are against them aesthetically but to be honest- I don't get too many comments about how good the soles of my shoes look.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Katter actually does scrub up pretty good for an Australian pollie.

I have you pegged as the sort of bloke who'd think Sophie Miribella was a hot, ethical intellectual.

He does - I often wonder if he has a great tailor or the OTRs just sit well on him.

Sophie is a definite no, but I have a thing for conservative girls like nothing else (shame there's not a braincell amongst them).

Topys - I can't afford not to.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Fxh is a IRL swag lord. Master of the tie dimple; hater of homeopathy. Would talk #menswear with again.

Stebbin

Reaction score
Has anybody had troubles getting RM Williams to do a resole of screwed boots after having them topied? I can see on the box that RM Williams does not accept modifications when they recraft their soles but a topy doesn't actually change anything about the shoe aside from the sole, which is getting replaced anyway.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had troubles getting RM Williams to do a resole of screwed boots after having them topied? I can see on the box that RM Williams does not accept modifications when they recraft their soles but a topy doesn't actually change anything about the shoe aside from the sole, which is getting replaced anyway.

Out of curiosity, with the relative ease of getting a pair of RMW resoled at the factory vs something like C&J or Carmina, wouldn't it be prudent to forgo the topy and just do a proper resole each time? I imagine this would preserve the shoe better than replacing the topy, if it can also be refreshed inside each time as well. For frame of reference, I have some pairs topy'd, some not. I tend to have it put on pairs which I need access to regardless the weather, so black captoes or beaters, for instance.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just get a dynaflex or rubber sole next time? I find them more comfortable FWIW.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm visiting Melbourne town tomorrow for the first time in years. Other than the bleeding obvious (Double Monk, Bucks, PJ, American Tailors, Luisa), where should I be checking out?

While on the topic, if I can explain to the significant other that I need to head off for a bit to talk about clothes with a bunch of guys (she's used to it), would anyone be keen for a drink or maybe a coffee meet-up? I'm around til Monday night.

Finally, how's the weather? :p

iSurg

Reaction score
Fuggin cold as, FP.

Gentlemen, I think we need to accept the fact that the topy and RMW conversations are a regular cyclical phenomenon here.

charliechan

Reaction score
No worries I get what you mean, all good.

The 7 fold do represent the top line for me and tend to sell the best when compared to 3 fold, but then I carry a lot more 7 folds so that skews it a bit. I can do 9 folds and have thought about doing a few limited editions, but they'd be pretty pricey at around $140. $100 is a good sweet spot for the Australian market so its not a big priority if I'm being honest.

Hey Jason, why are your Macclesfield ties 146cm long but the rest 150? Is it to account for stretch?
I'm of very average height so I actually prefer the 146 ones to tie a double FIH, but with the 150cm I have to tuck the back blade into my trousers..

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You've got a lot to learn then about shoe soles.

While on the topic, if I can explain to the significant other that I need to head off for a bit to talk about clothes with a bunch of guys (she's used to it),

Perfect modern spouse.

Last edited:

MiguelSF

Reaction score
Gents, where is the best cobbler in Sydney conservative business dress? I used to take mine to the Wynyard station bloke, so if there's any better, I'm all ears!

Miguel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads