• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:

You can buy great wide shoulder wooden coathangers from Woolworths, I think they're 3 for $5. They're made by a charity for disabled people, but the quality is fine. Obviously they're very heavily supervised.
Thanks, I'll check that out next time I'm in a woolies.

Last edited:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herringbone is awesome too. Their shirts and ties were really impressive when I checked them out.

Unfortunately their online presence sucks (they currently don't have a single suit on there) and their pricing isn't quite as competitive as MJ Bale.

In todays day and age I find it quite frustrating that their website is pretty useless but I guess they if it had much more on there they would have more emails to answer, more returns and exchanges to deal with etc. Maybe even stocking is an issue, I know MJ Bale has had a few hiccups with stocking and the online store, even now im pretty sure they just allocate a handful of x y z every cpl of months and thats it rather than keeping it actively up to date.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone get on DJ sale yet? Some pretty good deals there now that they're additional 25% off sale stock.

Melb conservative business dress store I would have jumped on 2 suits if they're my size.

MJ bale s100 2b charcoal conservative business dress-as-you-can-get suit $250. Size 38. I was so tempted to jump on it as its a slim 38 and im 36.

The other big one is a grey SB Paul smith luxury suit. Size 40. $1700~ down to $375.

lennier

Reaction score
I'm not the biggest TM Lewin fan. Their shirts are nice, but their jackets have way too much shoulder padding and the colours are rather staid. 

I don't like their shoulders, but the body of their jackets fits me to a 'T'. A great slim fit and much better than I expected.

Yes, they have a very english silhouette (surprise surprise) but they're decently made, half canvassed and on sale can be extremely good value (online, probably less so via Myer or their Collins St store). R&B are very similar for a lot more money and MJ Bale are a completely different silhouette and a cut above in quality and cost. I had a couple of Lewin suits but very structured shoulders neither appeal nor suit my build so I no longer wear them.

suttonzach

Reaction score

Anyone get on DJ sale yet? Some pretty good deals there now that they're additional 25% off sale stock.

Melb conservative business dress store I would have jumped on 2 suits if they're my size.

MJ bale s100 2b charcoal conservative business dress-as-you-can-get suit $250. Size 38. I was so tempted to jump on it as its a slim 38 and im 36.

The other big one is a grey SB Paul smith luxury suit. Size 40. $1700~ down to $375.

Will keep an eye out for the PS suit!

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
I received the new silver grenadine from Henry Carter today, and I am very happy with the quality and attention to detail in making. It has a nice drape without being too thick (which for me kills the flow of the tie). It also has a much more formal look than the large weave and there is no chance of mistaking it for a knit, and it also feels more snag proof than the larger weave. It is thinner around the neck than the blade, so it should tie a thicker knot well if required.

I saw some Borrelli and Stefano Ricci ties the other day, and these loose little to them, with obviously a much lower expenditure.

Make me a burgundy and gold/yellow stripe next Jason!

MiguelSF

Reaction score
Gents, I'm interested in the 1880 Rothschild, but can't seem to find a birds-eye view of the shoe...!!
I'd like the shoe to be "pointy-ish", I'm not really a fan of snub-nosed type shoes... But nothing elf-like of course...
So my question is if someone owns one, care to share some pics? Please..
smile.gif

Alternatively, I'm thinking a brogue like the 1880 Haig, but not sure if it would be considered "loud" for work -
My industry is Insurance - Marketing & Development) Generally out and about most days of the week... Your tips are appreciated!

Miguel

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[/URL]
Alternatively, I'm thinking a brogue like the 1880 Haig, but not sure if it would be considered "loud" for work -
My industry is Insurance - Marketing & Development) Generally out and about most days of the week... Your tips are appreciated!

Miguel

I would go the Strand in Loake if you wanted a semi brogue at that price. Pediwear is having a summer sale, the Strand is discounted if you are on their email list. For a plain cap toe the Aldwych is also part of the sale.

MiguelSF

Reaction score
I would go the Strand in Loake if you wanted a semi brogue at that price. Pediwear is having a summer sale, the Strand is discounted if you are on their email list. For a plain cap toe the Aldwych is also part of the sale.
Yes, its an awesome deal, free shoe trees and silk tie too!.

Indeed, I saw the Strand, but my concern is that my foot is quite narrow, and I re-measured, so I'm much closer to an E fitting, hence the Rothschild...
I'm sure I could wear thicker socks... I just don't want to miss out on their sale so a gamble might be required... Decisions...

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, its an awesome deal, free shoe trees and silk tie too!. 

Indeed, I saw the Strand, but my concern is that my foot is quite narrow, and I re-measured, so I'm much closer to an E fitting, hence the Rothschild...
I'm sure I could wear thicker socks... I just don't want to miss out on their sale so a gamble might be required... Decisions...

The sale notification I got didn't include shoe trees or a tie, it was 35 quid off a selection of shoes from Loake, Barker and Trickers I think.

Are you near a DJs? You could go in and try a few on and check widths.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Rothchild looks pretty nice on the pediwear site. Brogues in black I wouldn't call too loud... in tan on the other hand...

MiguelSF

Reaction score
Cheers, I work in Sydney conservative business dress, so I might check them out tomorrow if I can find a Loake in my size.

Yes, love the Rothschild... But then again, I like the Haig/Strand. Might buy both?!! Too many excuses to burn my tax refund..

Pediwear also sell Saphir, but I'm a Kiwi fan, however I'd like to give the French stuff a go.

MiguelSF

Reaction score
Joseph's on Strand Arcade? They never seemed very helpful... Been there a few times.

Henry Bucks is on O'Connell St, I think I'm headed that way tomorrow.. Thanks for the tip, I've never been!
shog[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads