• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who can tell me more about this brand. I found it in a local op shop and took some pics, it was fully canvassed, overall quite beautiful and for some reason reminded me of some old St Andrews made RLPL suits. Am I right here? Unfortunately was not my size (was a 54), but still very beautiful.
The suits that Baldessarini made for Hugo Boss were a significant improvement on most of what they serve up. They were made in Italy and, as you say, top quality. Depending on age, this one might have been made by Caruso. They are the only Boss I'd bother picking up in an op shop, but I've never seen one.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have since discovered the joys of second hand Allen Edmonds on ebay. In my opinion a much better made shoe than the Loake 1880 and I have picked up several in very good condition for $80 to $150 delivered. They come in a variety of width fittings which was a boon for me. I bought a couple of really ****** pairs before I found my size (10.5C). Doesn't seem to have a crazy variation in last shapes (well not yet anyways).

I prefer AE over Loakes too. They are available as cheaply, or cheaper, and have a much wider array of lasts, sizes and widths. I have a very narrow foot, and their 5 last is perfect for me.

If ever any of you go to the US (someone was asking about this before), one thing I would definitely do is get fitted in AE and/or Alden.

Or, as boff said, go for the trial and error approach on eBay with some cheapos. The general advice on the 5 last (on which most of their most popular shoes are made) is to size down 1 in length, and size up 1 in width from your Brannock measurement.

E.g. I am an 11B on the Brannock, and a 10.5C in AE 5 last fits me perfectly.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my opinion I find the Loake 1880 and Allen edmonds to be on par with each other and I've been a happy camper with both.  The issue with Allen edmonds is if you cannot get them on sale the shipping to Aus makes them over priced.  eg full price park avenue shipped to aus will run you over $400 (at which point why not pay the extra $100+ and go into Carmina territory etc), whereas the similar Loake churchill for example can be had from the UK for circa $270 sometimes with a free shoe tree.

Anyway for those considering shoes Herringshoes and pediwear have their sales on, nothing too spectacular but you might find a gem for yourself.

I agree though if you aren't too upset by a scuff or minor mark, then the factory seconds would be a great alternative.

Don't order from AE directly. Order from Amazon when on sale, or a department store when on sale e.g. Nordstrom.

Their shipping rates are much more reasonable, and discounts are much higher.

Hansens clothing also often has big sales, and shipping is $50 no matter how many pairs you order, I believe.

In the days of endless.com I bought multiple new AEs for $225 shipped, *sigh*. I'd say I usually pay about $270 these days.

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Loakes, I have a pair of Burgundy 771s that I need to offload. I bought them a good 3 years ago, wore them a couple of times til il I realised that AE fitted me a hell of a lot better, and then put them on top of the cupboard never to be used again. I would sell them to an interested party for a very good price, I just need some advance notice to clean them up a bit first! (dusty).

Size 9F - if this is you and you're interested, let me know.

http://www.loake.co.uk/771.html

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/110.php

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah well while we are on topic if anyone is interested in some brand new Allen Edmonds 8.5D Walnut strands or Walnut Daltons, pm me. Got them a while ago but haven't gotten around to selling them yet, hrmm possibly a job for the impending weekend.

acinod

Reaction score
Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm also probably younger and less senior than you, so there's the whole 'not appearing like a young upstart' thing to consider. This isn't a law firm, it's a Uni department. 

Wear Black black and more black if its cultural creative, brown if its Aggies. Education sports coats and tie and if its science then no tie.

MiguelSF

Reaction score
Damn, if only they were BLACK!!!!

I'm a 9, I would've ripped them off your hands....

Anyway, GLWS.
Speaking of Loakes, I have a pair of Burgundy 771s that I need to offload. I bought them a good 3 years ago, wore them a couple of times til il I realised that AE fitted me a hell of a lot better, and then put them on top of the cupboard never to be used again. I would sell them to an interested party for a very good price, I just need some advance notice to clean them up a bit first! (dusty).

Size 9F - if this is you and you're interested, let me know.

http://www.loake.co.uk/771.html

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/110.php

Superfudge

Reaction score
As a student who mostly wears a sport coat, shirt, and tie I'll admit sometimes I feel a little bit like a twat amongst other students who are of the ratty t-shirt and denim kind, but I've decided to carry on. Although I'm asked why I'm dressed like this from time to time, I think it's subtle enough as there are many girls who treat the campus like a runway.

Out of interest, what do they say? I'm a long way out of uni and I'm pretty sure when I was I dressed like a poorer version of Dawson Leery (and couldn't have afforded to dressed better even if I had known how), and that was pretty par for the course. I doubt I ever saw a single person in a sport coat or jacket unless they were studying after work.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do Beggar Man Thief really charge $400 for a pair of Loakes?

Everyone in Australia does AFAIK. I suspect there is a local Australian distributor that is taking everyone to the cleaners.

Well, there is upkeep, tax and rent for the stores, and they need to make some profit. But the choice is with us so I will just buy online since I know my size.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are these Clarks Original Desert Boots from the Australian website (http://www.clarks.com.au/mens/desertboot-mens-44575.html#80=3776&142=3761 ) different from the ones talked about here on SF? They look different to these: http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Originals-Mens-Desert-Boot/dp/B0007MCUTK I'm buying my first pair of desert boots and not sure which colour to get. There's no beeswax so that's a shame. What's a good flexible colour? Or should I try a bit harder to get beeswax?
They are the same. There's always going to be lighting variations, colour temperature differences, angles etc. which will make one product look different from one retailer's product shots to the next. I have the beeswax and they're decent; sand suede would go well with both navy blue (jeans) and khaki (chinos) I reckon...

acinod

Reaction score
They are the same. There's always going to be lighting variations, colour temperature differences, angles etc. which will make one product look different from one retailer's product shots to the next.

I have the beeswax and they're decent; sand suede would go well with both navy blue (jeans) and khaki (chinos) I reckon...

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of getting the Ambergold because it's almost sold out so thought it was most popular but guess I'll go with the Sand Suede (don't even think clarks usa/uk have ambergold...)

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
The suits that Baldessarini made for Hugo Boss were a significant improvement on most of what they serve up. They were made in Italy and, as you say, top quality. Depending on age, this one might have been made by Caruso. They are the only Boss I'd bother picking up in an op shop, but I've never seen one.
Cheers for the info. I was very disappointed when it wasn't my size as it was pretty cheap. I'd say some of the Boss Selection stuff is pretty good (although absolutely never justifies the price). At Hugo Boss outlets, when Boss selection is discounted by 50% it is still about 30-40% overpriced.

__PG__

Reaction score

Well, there is upkeep, tax and rent for the stores, and they need to make some profit. But the choice is with us so I will just buy online since I know my size.

But it doesn't compute when you consider the prices that C&J are sold for in Australia. I know American Tailors deal directly with C&J (they even get custom shoes made to order just for their store) so I presume other stockists (Herringbone, Double Monk) do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads