• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on some RMW chukkas a while back, good quality but they had ivory colored plasticky soles which sorta killed the look for me. Also quite a pronounced chisel toe, if you like that sort of thing...

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A word of warning - once a long time ago someone got the order mixed up, maybe Gerry, and Vass sent a combination last - turned out to be a FU last!

Bad karma all round!
Was it the :fu: last or the :foo: last? I've heard the latter can be a bit prickly.

Plestor

Reaction score
Talking of boots just got some Cheaney FS029s in. Lovely boot in danite too so no topys required... I'd warn people that its the lighter of the two colours you see floating around in various online pictures tho.
Nice. How did you go about ordering those out of interest? I've seen the pics floating about and they are without doubt a handsome boot. Would love to see some pics of your boots if you have a chance.

Email & bank transfer. They (Cheaney) were really good about it. I'll try to get a picture when I get some natural light.

The pictures here are pretty accurate in the mean time.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/178321/update-on-cheaney-shoes/0_100#post_5030281

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked this thread more when there was quoting of Milton (various) and such.

I'm currently reading Sebastian Horsleys book Dandy in the Underworld**.

A rollicking romp of a read and possibly even much of it is true. I'm told the more unbelievable parts are true - the believable parts less so.
Highly recommended

**The astutely hip and knowledgeable amongst youse will recognise this as the title of a Marc Bolan album - Horsley's hero. Me I like to flash my knowledge by pointing out that Flo & Eddie did the backing vocals for T Rex.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Yeah, if I was in the market I would probably go with these. Never liked the kangaroo versions (comfortable as hell but too wrinkly for me) but RMW suede is good quality in my experience and suits this style of boot much better. Also I think they are all MTO so you could probably ask that the factory leave the longhorn logo off the upper if you want, not that it's all that noticeable in the suede version.

I was interested to learn it also comes in a black suede as well - I think it was you Romp IIRC that was interested in black suede boots a while back?

I'm after some black suede whole cut or maybe 3 eyelet derby but need to be on quite a sleek last esp on the instep

I tried on some RMW chukkas a while back, good quality but they had ivory colored plasticky soles which sorta killed the look for me. Also quite a pronounced chisel toe, if you like that sort of thing...

Yes that's something I was going to look at in the shop tmr.. I like a soft toe on chukkas and the RMW are typically quite defined

In other news a pair of carmina's Should hopefully arrive soon :)

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I should have just posed this here.... but alas, sorry for the new thread

http://www.styleforum.net/t/344763/calling-sydneysiders-for-help-with-wedding-suit
whats with the number of "students" making posts about going to DiSano? they pop up every now and then and always a student and always thanking Sator for the discovery hehe. Back when I was a student I wouldnt have been able to even afford a hire suit.. times are a changin'

I dont think there is anything wrong about what you have picked, all personal preference. For my own wedding I probably wouldnt rock double monks to my own wedding though - Id probably go with the Outram or Cityhall model. But then again I went tux and bowtie when I was married and you are going for a blue DB.

jmills

Reaction score
These were the AS Exclusive chukkas I posted to SF ages back, if that's any help.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I should have just posed this here.... but alas, sorry for the new thread

http://www.styleforum.net/t/344763/calling-sydneysiders-for-help-with-wedding-suit

whats with the number of "students" making posts about going to DiSano? they pop up every now and then and always a student and always thanking Sator for the discovery hehe. Back when I was a student I wouldnt have been able to even afford a hire suit.. times are a changin'

I dont think there is anything wrong about what you have picked, all personal preference. For my own wedding I probably wouldnt rock double monks to my own wedding though - Id probably go with the Outram or Cityhall model. But then again I went tux and bowtie when I was married and you are going for a blue DB.

I agree with Romp's comment about shoes - I'd tend to go for a more conservative captoe or similar, rather than a pair of double monks, as I think that it would suit the outfit better.

Apart from that, though, I think that the choice of a navy DB and a nice, small-scale glen plaid tie is a good one - are you planning on wearing a white shirt, by the way?

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would just go something really conservative - like a mid grey or navy suit, white shirt, macclesfield from drakes and a pair of meermin or loake oxfords.

I'd rather look back on my wedding without seeing my young self's attempts to look dapper. In the end though its not my wedding.

Sydney Student

Reaction score
Romp, I really cant afford it either
smile.gif
, but seeing as how I only want to do this whole thing once I thought to do it right. I have been saving for over a year.

Romp and Journeyman, I appreciate the comments on shoes, I hadn't actually even thought that they might fit the conservative look of the suit. Also, yes of course the shirt will be white, I forgot to say that... thinking of paying Nahkle (sp?) a visit for that one too.

Oli, I am a little surprised by your comment as I actually would have thought the navy DB to be quite conservative. The main push for having it made for me was because it was DB, this way the lines will actually look right, it will be in proportion and it should look quite classic. I would hope that my grandchildren would be able to look at photos from the day and not see any element of the outfit that would be specific to one time period.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Romp, I really cant afford it either
smile.gif
, but seeing as how I only want to do this whole thing once I thought to do it right. I have been saving for over a year.

Romp and Journeyman, I appreciate the comments on shoes, I hadn't actually even thought that they might fit the conservative look of the suit. Also, yes of course the shirt will be white, I forgot to say that... thinking of paying Nahkle (sp?) a visit for that one too.

Oli, I am a little surprised by your comment as I actually would have thought the navy DB to be quite conservative. The main push for having it made for me was because it was DB, this way the lines will actually look right, it will be in proportion and it should look quite classic. I would hope that my grandchildren would be able to look at photos from the day and not see any element of the outfit that would be specific to one time period.

I like DB suits, but theres something artificially trad about them, especially on a young person.

The two layers around the chest dont really suit the Australian Sartorial climate either (social wise and climate wise).

My 5c.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads