• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

deingesicht

Reaction score
Bought a pair of Tricker's Belgrave in the tan calf in size UK10F (link is here: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&shoeid=2904&colourid=1550&brandid=50)

They don't fit
baldy[1].gif
I need a 9.5F, thus I'm selling them to recoup most of the money I just spent (it's not worth my time sending them back). I thought I would try here before I put them on eBay. They are brand new, only worn once on carpet (no marks whatsoever) and are not seconds. Comes with box and shoe bags - happy to meet in Melbourne

These are beautiful shoes and will not disappoint.

Looking to sell them for $425ono. PM me if interested.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Still don't get this... If you don't like the offer just say no. FTR I don't lowball.

See edit. I know what it means. I don't see the problem they can't just walk away if they don't like your price....

I see a bit of this thinking around here - that somehow making an offer is not playing fair or something.

As a bit of context and background. A long time ago I made my living, for several years, solely out of buying and selling a major (or several ) commodities. Not a side hobby - a proper living. Not something abstract that involved sitting at a desk and risking other peoples monies - but risking my monies, with something tangible not fungible. Often I sold by auction, with a live auctioneer and often by mutual negotiations and sometimes by fixed price.

Making a lower, or higher for that matter, offer is an essential part of doing business. It does sometimes make a difference how its done.

Some buyers just like to haggle and beat people down - for no particular reason - these people can be irritating and are the ones who will get the same treatment back - no rounding down only rounding up, no "bakers dozen" , no useful info etc.

Nothing wrong with a buyer saying - "those shoes are only worth $100 to me - let me know when you are ready to let them go for $100" - However that should be a firm offer. No further haggling or seeking discounts or umming and arghing.

I'm old enough to remember the Trading Post too- (Tell em they're dreamin) I don't know how many times a second hand item like say a clothes dryer, fridge would be advertised at a a firm price equal to what the seller paid for it when a new item could be purchased with guarantees, delivery etc at a cheaper price.

As you all know from basic economics - in a relatively free market with relatively well informed buyers and sellers then an item is worth almost exactly what you can get for it.
Some markets are distorted by low numbers of potential buyers - eg purple emu skin triple monk shoes - but when those buyers do appear then they will agree that the shoes are worth a fair bit of $. These items are rare, potential buyers are rare and markets difficult to establish - for this item the seller will probably hang onto the item to get a "fair price" - amongst the small number of buyers there will be some agreement on what is a "fair price"

Other items, lets say fr instance, a pair of mid price English shoes black captoe, normal average size around 8 or 9, with a couple of weeks wear on them are likely to be worth a fair bit less than what it cost to land them here. Mainly because - anyone can see the price new online, theres lots of them around, most people have a pair, many people do not need more than one pair, without insulting anyone in particular , a "normal" old black captoe shoe looks like any other black cap toe shoe. Unless someone was just over the last week looking longingly at that exact pair during lunch, and needs them now and its $50 saving on all in cost + postage etc.

OTOH a pair of plain black captoes in average size may well move fast and sell for not much less than new, precisely because they are a staple item, don't vary much and many more people are seeking a pair at any one time.

Some sellers have an emotional attachment to an item and somehow feel their manhood ( Its usually men although women can be just as crazy) or family honour is impugned if offered less than what they deem something is worth.

People forget that money has a time value - as a rule of thumb money is worth the basic headline interest rate at the moment thats around 3.25% I think. That is $3.25 per every $100 per year. Not much on a $300 pair of shoes I guess- but theres storage costs, and opportunity cost of not having the $300 to spend on something else etc. In addition - if that $300 is on a credit card @22% - then selling quick for less is an obvious decision.

I'm not even sure what I'm saying here now - but.

Nothing wrong with negotiating on an item, but there should be a sense of business about haggling not a sense of petty point scoring. If you make an offer base it on what the item is worth to you as buyer and a price at which you will gladly pay. That may be way way below what a seller initially asks.

In making an offer the buyer should be actually making an offer, not just testing the waters.

Buying and selling things can be fun and commerce makes the world go round..

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bought a pair of Tricker's Belgrave in the tan calf in size UK10F (link is here: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&shoeid=2904&colourid=1550&brandid=50)

They don't fit
baldy%5B1%5D.gif
I need a 9.5F, thus I'm selling them to recoup most of the money I just spent (it's not worth my time sending them back). I thought I would try here before I put them on eBay. They are brand new, only worn once on carpet (no marks whatsoever) and are not seconds. Comes with box and shoe bags - happy to meet in Melbourne

These are beautiful shoes and will not disappoint.

Looking to sell them for $425ono. PM me if interested.

If its only half a size - and you like them other wise have you thought about getting a $29 gel under foot insert from the chemist or foot place and /or using thicker socks?

Are they loose all round or too long or ????

Gilmour

Reaction score
If its only half a size - and you like them other wise have you thought about getting a $29 gel under foot insert from the chemist or foot place and /or using thicker socks?
Are they loose all round or too long or ????
This is what I did and it works a treat, I bought a pair Tana thin foam insole from my local cobbler for $8

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I see a bit of this thinking around here - that somehow making an offer is not playing fair or something.
As a bit of context and background. A long time ago I made my living, for several years, solely out of buying and selling a major (or several ) commodities. Not a side hobby - a proper living. Not something abstract that involved sitting at a desk and risking other peoples monies - but risking my monies, with something tangible not fungible. Often I sold by auction, with a live auctioneer and often by mutual negotiations and sometimes by fixed price.
Making a lower, or higher for that matter, offer is an essential part of doing business. It does sometimes make a difference how its done.
Some buyers just like to haggle and beat people down - for no particular reason - these people can be irritating and are the ones who will get the same treatment back - no rounding down only rounding up, no "bakers dozen" , no useful info etc.
Nothing wrong with a buyer saying - "those shoes are only worth $100 to me - let me know when you are ready to let them go for $100" - However that should be a firm offer. No further haggling or seeking discounts or umming and arghing.
I'm old enough to remember the Trading Post too- (Tell em they're dreamin) I don't know how many times a second hand item like say a clothes dryer, fridge would be advertised at a a firm price equal to what the seller paid for it when a new item could be purchased with guarantees, delivery etc at a cheaper price.
As you all know from basic economics - in a relatively free market with relatively well informed buyers and sellers then an item is worth almost exactly what you can get for it.
Some markets are distorted by low numbers of potential buyers - eg purple emu skin triple monk shoes - but when those buyers do appear then they will agree that the shoes are worth a fair bit of $. These items are rare, potential buyers are rare and markets difficult to establish - for this item the seller will probably hang onto the item to get a "fair price" - amongst the small number of buyers there will be some agreement on what is a "fair price"
Other items, lets say fr instance, a pair of mid price English shoes black captoe, normal average size around 8 or 9, with a couple of weeks wear on them are likely to be worth a fair bit less than what it cost to land them here. Mainly because - anyone can see the price new online, theres lots of them around, most people have a pair, many people do not need more than one pair, without insulting anyone in particular , a "normal" old black captoe shoe looks like any other black cap toe shoe. Unless someone was just over the last week looking longingly at that exact pair during lunch, and needs them now and its $50 saving on all in cost + postage etc.
OTOH a pair of plain black captoes in average size may well move fast and sell for not much less than new, precisely because they are a staple item, don't vary much and many more people are seeking a pair at any one time.
Some sellers have an emotional attachment to an item and somehow feel their manhood ( Its usually men although women can be just as crazy) or family honour is impugned if offered less than what they deem something is worth.
People forget that money has a time value - as a rule of thumb money is worth the basic headline interest rate at the moment thats around 3.25% I think. That is $3.25 per every $100 per year. Not much on a $300 pair of shoes I guess- but theres storage costs, and opportunity cost of not having the $300 to spend on something else etc. In addition - if that $300 is on a credit card @22% - then selling quick for less is an obvious decision.
I'm not even sure what I'm saying here now - but.
Nothing wrong with negotiating on an item, but there should be a sense of business about haggling not a sense of petty point scoring. If you make an offer base it on what the item is worth to you as buyer and a price at which you will gladly pay. That may be way way below what a seller initially asks.
In making an offer the buyer should be actually making an offer, not just testing the waters.
Buying and selling things can be fun and commerce makes the world go round..

+1 what he said ...

economics 101 - a sale is only possible when you have a buyer and seller agree on a price. That's why the stock market works on bids and asks until they match a price which equals a trade.

deingesicht

Reaction score
While I'm on this forum, I regrettably need to sell my Burgundy Carmina Shell Cordovan - punched captoe Oxfords on the Forest last size UK9.5. They have been a bit small and I've had enough in trying to be comfortable in them. With the benefits of hindsight, I should have sold them the first day I got them.

Only been worn about 10 times. There are some minor marks, but nothing major. Shoe trees have always been used. Comes with box (my daughter used the shoe bags for puppets - long story). They are beautiful shoes and regret selling them. Given my Tricker's are also for sale, I haven't had much luck with shoes recently
cry.gif

Price is $350ono, but PM if interested.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i recently found a messenger bag which I thought would solve the both the haulage problems, note pads ipd, glasses cases and would also look good. http://www.whippingpost.com/collections/bags/products/the-vintage-messenger, haven't put an order in as they are out of stock currently.

Then a friend sent me this link http://www.tannerbates.co.uk/sales/laptop-messenger-satchel/ wow I think this could even be better in terms of function and form and it looks great but much to my chagrin it has a cotton webbing strap WTF. Aesthetically that ruins it for me, a bag like that is all about looks and why ruin the overall aesthetic. Have emailed to see how much extra leather strap would cost oh well decisions decisions.

Recently I bought a W H Taylor shirt just a plain white poplin for work and I still waiting for it to arrive but I noticed recent talk of CT shirts, the only bug bear I have with them is the plastic buttons. H&H and H&K who are now pricing themselves out of the market have MOP buttons. I have found for me the H&K is the best fit but in terms of value for money and fit CT win, I still have four of them which i bought five years ago in regular rotation and with a recent promo at 4 for $200 plus free shipping I would say there good value in terms of work wear also their selection of pattens is better than a lot of other shirt makers.

Last weekend in Sydney picked up these Moscot prescription sunnies http://www.moscot.com/vintage-eyewear-grunya_490_1.html#lenscolor=Clear the acetate frames would rank as one of the best I have come across now to find a pair of round tortoise shell frames for regular wear.

Last edited:

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last weekend in Sydney picked up these Moscot prescription sunnies http://www.moscot.com/vintage-eyewear-grunya_490_1.html#lenscolor=Clear the acetate frames would rank as one of the best I have come across now to find a pair of round tortoise shell frames for regular wear.

i've got the persol 714's in tortoise shell. does the job and fits into the chest pocket.

i get my sunnies online from the UK: http://www.pretavoir.co.uk/

they occasionally have free shipping. takes about 2 weeks to get here. with free shipping and taking away VAT and you'd be laughing at the savings compared to buying locally at Sunglass Hut or your local optometrist.

xiaoli

Reaction score

Melbourne Only.

What do you guys think of this jacket: http://www.styleforum.net/t/262887/pjohnson-tailor-full-suit-navy-cotton

The measurements are very close to mine. I might meet up and try it on.

The seller is wanting $350 for the jacket, but I can't do it at that price, might ask for something lower.

I have actually tried the jacket on in person a few months ago, and it is a very weird fit. The Waist is tight like wearing a corset. It's just way too slim everywhere, which makes the shoulders look unnaturally wide.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enjoyable to read your mind spilling onto the page fxh, interesting post. Thank you.

Wonder how you found the market for your sock collection when you decided to go sockless every day? (sorry, could not resist)

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have actually tried the jacket on in person a few months ago, and it is a very weird fit. The Waist is tight like wearing a corset. It's just way too slim everywhere, which makes the shoulders look unnaturally wide.

Yep, we are both classified as '36Rs' so naturally, I am interested.

The waist does look a bit tight.
On my jacket, and that is with the waist almost too tight, it is 3cm bigger than his jacket's waist. (43 v 46 cm).
The chest is tight by about a cm and shoulders wide by about a cm.
What did you think of the sleeve length, 50cm looks short?

Markus must be the ultimate V.

What did you think of the cotton and craftsmanship of the jacket?

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep, we are both classified as '36Rs' so naturally, I am interested.

The waist does look a bit tight.
On my jacket, and that is with the waist almost too tight, it is 3cm bigger than his jacket's waist. (43 v 46 cm).
The chest is tight by about a cm and shoulders wide by about a cm.
What did you think of the sleeve length, 50cm looks short?

Markus must be the ultimate V.

What did you think of the cotton and craftsmanship of the jacket?

Know your question was not directed to me, but as someone who has a few P Johnson item thought I would give my 2 pence (5 cents, actually probably less now) worth.

Your best bet is to go and try it on if you can and make your offer from there. Fit is important for something this, since it is P Johnson I doubt there will be any issue with craftsmanship and cotton will work well as both a suit and separates in both casual and formal (but not too formal) situations.

Really you need to see it if you can and make the decision from there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads