• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I just saw your webstore; are the pants, the fabric, or both made in italy?
the fabric is woven and dyed by the same guys who then cut and assemble our pants in firenze italy

elvish

Reaction score

Not such good photos, perhaps, but have a look at my post from yesterday, which I've quoted below - I'm wearing a pair of light brown Santoni double monks with a plain captoe. I have a couple of friends who have the Crockett & Jones Lowndes double monk in brown and they are lovely shoes, too.
As others have said, most people won't notice and, when someone does, it's more likely than not that they'll think that your shoes look great.
And here is another photo of me wearing the same double monks - although again, you can't really see the shoes very clearly.

i love the colour of the shoe but the first and last photo look as if the shoes are bunched between the buckles.. might just be me but it looks odd.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? I have considered dub monks as well, but I definitely couldn't do black. I think black is far more noticeable and a little too investment banker wannabe. When I see guys in brown ones they can look a little like they're trying too hard, but can pull it off as the shoes still look casual enough not to look like a douche. I've never seen a guy in black dub monks, but I imagine he'd look like one of several things:

(a) A pirate
(b) An 80s wall st banker
(c) Maybe, just maybe, like this guy: 

So in summary, go brown unless you satisfy (c)... 

I reckon black needs to be single monk.

I like the pirate idea though. I once asked a pirate how much his earrings cost. He said 'a buck an ear...arrrgghhh.'

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys

Long time lurker here. Ive browsed this forum long enough and the time has come to try some (double) monks... but I'm nervous that I'll buy them and not wear them... I like how they look but Ive never really seen them worn and I'm worried that on a 20 something bloke it might look a bit strange, and I dont want people to rib me for being gay or something. I know you should do what you think is okay and not worry what ppl say but is there some practical advice about whether it might be too fashion forward amongst the general public and tradies in the street or what have you...

Why, in this day and age, should that be seen as a bad thing?

As for double monks, I wear them if the occasion permits. I don't feel this has any association with my sexual preferences, or vice versa. And I couldn't care less what any homophobic ignoramus has to say to the contrary.

Osqua

Reaction score
fight[1].gif

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Long time lurker here. Ive browsed this forum long enough and the time has come to try some (double) monks... but I'm nervous that I'll buy them and not wear them... I like how they look but Ive never really seen them worn and I'm worried that on a 20 something bloke it might look a bit strange, and I dont want people to rib me for being gay or something. I know you should do what you think is okay and not worry what ppl say but is there some practical advice about whether it might be too fashion forward amongst the general public and tradies in the street or what have you...

How many of you guys have them and actually wear them? Anyone have some pics?

why not get single monks first? they're more conservative than dub monks.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score

Hey guys

How many of you guys have them and actually wear them? Anyone have some pics?

Who gives a **** what the general public thinks? You don't want people to "rib" you for being gay yet you seem overly concerned about what a bunch of tradies would think of you on the street?

Smarten up, princess.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
I am pretty in love with the Carmina double monks on Epaulette. I have quite high arches on my feet and am told monks are great for that.

Completely missed the "worried about looking gay" part of that original comment. Seriously, if someone accuses you of being gay, take the compliment. As a straight-as-a-plank bloke myself, whenever someone has thought I'm gay I've been flattered. I don't blame them, other than a few strange guys on an internet forum, most of the nicely dressed men around are gay.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... As a straight-as-a-plank bloke myself, whenever someone has thought I'm gay I've been flattered. I don't blame them, other than a few strange guys on an internet forum, most of the nicely dressed men around are gay.
see urbandictionary for styleforum definition:

1. styleforum.net
A place where straight males can go to be gay. A place where gay males can go to be themselves. And a place for everyone else to can go to troll these self absorbed losers.

An average style forum member will post pics of what they were wearing that day, comment on the style and fashion of other supposedly straight men, and discuss other non-manly things.

It should be mentioned, that while it's ok to dress nice, it's a whole other ballgame to gone on the interwebz and post pictures of your cute little "fits"(as they like to call them, short for outfits).
Supposed straight male #1:What do you guys think of my fit? D&G sunglasses, APC jeans, XS AA V-neck T-shirt and $400 sneakers.

Supposed straight male #2:Oh that just looks Thsuper on you! However, I don't really like the way the t-shirt drapes on your frame! Love everything else though! Muah!

Gay member interrupts:Oh I'm so glad all of you alleged straight men hang out in styleforum.net. Delish!

buy styleforum.net mugs & shirts
*** queer gay ****** style forum internet butt sex
by Evan454354543 Jun 26, 2011 share this add a video

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contacted mj bale today, supposedly the 2 suits for $1K sale is over in a month.

Should I buy up now or do they run similar things throughout the year?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Contacted mj bale today, supposedly the 2 suits for $1K sale is over in a month.

Should I buy up now or do they run similar things throughout the year?
go large and buy 10

jez

Reaction score

Said this earlier but TMS has some mj bale suits for less than 500 at the moment.

Hi lachyzee, it seems like its only for selected items only - of which MJ Bale isn't a part of. I may be wrong though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads