• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oh David Jones sale is somewhat ok for cheap stuff. $12.50 for DJ branded cuff links. $25 for milana ties even the very conservative business dress navy with white dots. And Jimmy Choos on sale for about $350!!!!!!
They are single swept back monks with straps like these Lobbs:

Pity the last is taken from a pair of Doc Martens.

:lol:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So kind of just realised the importance of tailors and decided i'd make my first visit, however I have one question. I'm a student and really don't have that much money to spend on tailoring, but still I would like to visit a tailor who will not ruin my clothes. So for my first visit I decided to try M & R Tailors in Sydney and brought in a tweed coat I got at christmas which has since become to big for me. I was charged 80 for bringing the coat in around my chest and 40 for shortening the sleeves at my hands not my shoulders. So what i'm wondering, is this a good cheap price for a tailor in Sydney who won't ruin my clothes. I came here to ask because know one that I know really goes to tailors and I really don't know many decent tailors to compare with.
Expensive . Go to Hayel and Son Alteration & Tailoring in Pitt Street. Lvl 3, Suite 301/ 250 Pitt St Sydney NSW 2000

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey does anyone here have any familiarity with Rembrandt suits?:

http://www.rembrandt.co.nz/

Also, does anyone have any MJ Bale suits? Any particular favourites among their offerings? Their website seems to offer a lot of very similar-looking suits...

Last edited:

quar

Reaction score

However, I think that whether you're having a chat with someone, or you're conducting a strict interview, and I tend to prefer the former, directing the conversation is an art. It helps to create a sense of conviviality about the exchange; it makes for more engaging viewing. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this - but I do feel it could have conducted in a manner that felt less contrived.

Your post reads poorly. The irony. :D

Last edited:

laphroaig

Reaction score
I just watched that too and the how to fit a suit video that showed up next. First thing I saw was the chest, which is odd because he's not female. He's gone just that one little bit too far, to the point where it looks a bit too obvious. Not to my taste. The black polo with that jacket on Patrick didn't work for me either but I'm a polo hater. The whole thing had a very Australian, very casual vibe.

I'm feeling all conservative now, even though I wear some oddball stuff in some people's opinion, "you're wearing that crumpled jacket again."

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey does anyone here have any familiarity with Rembrandt suits?:
http://www.rembrandt.co.nz/

They used to do good stuff many years ago - a nice line in sportscoats.

They make for a different market now I think but I haven't had a look at any of their stuff for a few years.
They do a lot of the MTM for smaller shops in Australia that is shop branded and they run a few brands of their own, Rembrandt is only one of them.

Probably reasonable value for money.

lennier

Reaction score

They do a lot of the MTM for smaller shops in Australia that is shop branded and they run a few brands of their own, Rembrandt is only one of them.
Probably reasonable value for money.

Joe Black is one of those I believe.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Rembrandt can make a business out of selling goods made in New Zealand at a fairly low price surely it is just as viable to have the same in Aust.

Simon at Elite

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So Rembrandt can make a business out of selling goods made in New Zealand at a fairly low price surely it is just as viable to have the same in Aust.

I wouldn't call $695 for an altered factory made suit a low price. In fact I'd call it rather expensive. Where are their suits made? How are they constructed? All their websites are scant on details and I ask why? If their suits are so good and worth $695 then why not tell us why?

They say that their local production unit is based Lower Hutt, near Wellington which makes me think that they have a non-local production unit also which is probably based somewhere in Asia. $695 for an altered Asian made fused canvas suit made from a select range of performance fabrics (which makes me think they are poly blends) and an extra $100 for a fine wool fabric is rather expensive when you can pick up a full MTM in a number of places for around $300. Someone somewhere is making a lot of money.

Admittedly I don't know anything about the company and I could be completely mistaken in my first impressions. They could be making full canvas suits from high quality fabrics but if so then why not tell us?

There are many options available in Australia far better and cheaper

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The problem here is there is no one skilled to make them anymore. People aren't learning tailoring as a craft in Australia now, they all want to be graphic designers!

Fletcher Jones (RIP), daggy as they became had a wonderful factory down in Warnambool which had a big emphasis on in-house staff training. But that was then and this is now. Unfortunately they had all the other issues such as not innovating, clients dying off etc that brought them down and it was sad to see the start of it first hand when I worked there.

I wouldn't call $695 for an altered factory made suit a low price. In fact I'd call it rather expensive. Where are their suits made? How are they constructed? All their websites are scant on details and I ask why? If their suits are so good and worth $695 then why not tell us why? 

They say that their local production unit is based  Lower Hutt, near Wellington which makes me think that they have a non-local production unit also which is probably based somewhere in Asia. $695 for an altered Asian made fused canvas suit made from  a select range of performance fabrics (which makes me think they are poly blends) and an extra $100 for a fine wool fabric is rather expensive when you can pick up a full MTM in a number of places for around $300. Someone somewhere is making a lot of money.

Admittedly I don't know anything about the company and I could be completely mistaken in my first impressions. They could be making full canvas suits from high quality fabrics but if so then why not tell us?

There are many options available in Australia far better and cheaper

I think it's a big call to say there are better options that are cheaper without ever having seeing the product first hand. FWIW, I owned a pair of Rembrant trousers around 15 years ago at the ripe old age of 17. They were fantastic, they actually had those horizontal fishmouth pockets that one of you guys were asking about a few pages ago. I liked them so much at the time I ended up getting I think another 4 pair made with the same pockets MTM when I worked at Fletcher Jones.

xiaoli

Reaction score
I am considering this jacket from MJBale, since they are out of the Westferry in size 36. Anyone had seen this one in person?

Wood Dobby Navy Jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads