• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banana Cognac

Reaction score

Thanks Selvaggio, I'll check them out but judging by the Hackett prices in the UK from their website I suspect DJ would have them in PJohnson territory!
I've discovered the J Crew Ludlow cut jackets since my original post, which appear to be decently slim cut with soft shoulders without being too fashion tragic (slightly short, but possibly not fatally so). Anyone have experience with the quality of J Crew stuff? Seems like as usual they're overpriced at full retail but on discount aren't too bad? Of course getting one to Australia cost effectively might be a challenge since they don't yet have us on their list of international shipping destinations..

I just got back from NYC and I tried on a few items from J Crew and id have to say the quality is pretty meh.

I def would not pay retail - the quality is similar to Country Road

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just ran into PG at our local coffee shoppe where we exchanged a bit of banter and I showed him a funny advertisement in GQ that mentioned Beau Brummell (more on the ad and why it was funny later). He asked, 'Who is this Beau Brummell chap?' ... when I looked at him in astonishment he remarked 'I wager good sir that most of the gents in the Australian Brethren thread won't know who he is'.

So do you know who Beau was? No lying now because remember, Santa knows if you've been good or bad.

Any member of the Men's Clothing forum who does not know who George Bryan "Beau" Brummell is, should be banned from the site!

There was something in the paper today to the effect that J Crew is one of the international retail chains that is thinking about setting up shop in Australia (another is Banana Republic).
That would be pretty awesome. We have the higher end accounted for ok (Herringbone et al), but a menswear chain with quality basics at reasonable prices would be great.

I'd love to see a) Uniqlo and b) Land's End open up shop in Australia, followed by Brooks Brothers for higher-end stuff. I think that there's a slim chance that Uniqlo could open a store or two in Australia, but sadly I think that hell will freeze over before Land's End or BB open up here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tone76

Reaction score

Popped into Azzaro for the first time in ages. I bought a mate from work who was after some shirts and a new suit or two. There currently have lots of Canali in stock (in 50 and 52 at least) and lots of 'Azzaro' suits..which are just re-branded Antichi Telai suits. For $495 you can't go wrong. They are quite slim fitting though.
Sad news is that Alessandro is no longer with them, he went back to Italy.

Oddly enough, I popped into Azzaro yesterday too. Oh. My. Goodness. It took me all my energy not to walk out with half the shop. I just bought a Canali tie .. possibly one the the nicest ties I've ever seen and I just had to have it. I'm planning on going back today for a shirt or two ... and maybe even an Antichi Telai suit. I was very impressed with the suits ... but they are a little slimmer than I'm used to. I did find the cut quite flattering on me, though. Maybe I should just push the button and then work out how to sneak it past the Mrs when I get back home?

What are Azzaro's shoes like? I forget the name of the brand. I know they had some Canali shoes, but there was another brand whose name escapes me. There was a nice pair of double monks hiding under a table that looked especially tasty.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oddly enough, I popped into Azzaro yesterday too. Oh. My. Goodness. It took me all my energy not to walk out with half the shop. I just bought a Canali tie .. possibly one the the nicest ties I've ever seen and I just had to have it. I'm planning on going back today for a shirt or two ... and maybe even an Antichi Telai suit. I was very impressed with the suits ... but they are a little slimmer than I'm used to. I did find the cut quite flattering on me, though. Maybe I should just push the button and then work out how to sneak it past the Mrs when I get back home?
What are Azzaro's shoes like? I forget the name of the brand. I know they had some Canali shoes, but there was another brand whose name escapes me. There was a nice pair of double monks hiding under a table that looked especially tasty.

Sneaking a suit past the missus is very different from a pair of shoes. Too much surface area not to be noticed.:lol:

I thought I could get away with wearing a new suit I got from CD in his big Movember sale. Got caught but then she shut up when I told her it cost me AUD30!

Very nice Canali BTW = my near exact size.:fonz:

There should have been no hesitation IMO..

Last edited:

MickyD

Reaction score
I've posted it before, but Beau Brummel with some ugly mug whose pants could probably do with some shortening.

IMG0152-XL.jpg

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wedding tie:

These are the only silver/grey ones I have in my stock. Which to go with? And perhaps I have to lose the square too. Lacking a solid white cotton/linen one.

Last edited:

__PG__

Reaction score
RE : Shoes at Azzaro. He stocks a lot of Bartelesi, which apparently are predominantly deer calf leather using a Bologna construction. Blahman has a pair of Bartelesi wholecuts.

He also has some Canali shoes, Versace Collection shoes (mainly loafers) and loafers/trainers from Leyva, a spanish company.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wedding tie:
These are the only silver/grey ones I have in my stock. Which to go with? And perhaps I have to lose the square too. Lacking a solid white cotton/linen one.

I'd go with the shepherd's check one, as it's an absolute classic. Also, dash out and by a plain white pocket square!

fox81

Reaction score

Does anyone know shops in Melbourne that sell Drakes ties and their average price?

american tailors and henry bucks sell drakes ties.
i believe patrick johnson also have them in their showroom in sth melb

i believe they are somewhere between 160-200 dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads