• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

lennier

Reaction score
Probably hard to believe but I finally got my first chance to check out Herringbone properly today, previously I'd only ever tried on a couple of jackets at their popup sales.
As it turns out, their Osaka cut suits fit me by far the best of any OTR suit I've tried previously, not to the standard of my PJohnsons naturally but as close as I could reasonably expect given my fit issues. For some reason I was under the impression that the Osakas had been consigned to history which is one reason I'd not made much effort to get to Herringbone previously.
So now that I possibly have a decent OTR option fit-wise, does anyone know if the construction is generally consistent, canvassed or otherwise? Could ring Christian and talk some more (and probably will) but also interested in people's opinions here on this. Especially as there's a suit in their ebay store that I'm rather tempted by...

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
^ Talk to Charlie's Wardrobe. Every suit he's worn in the WAYWRN thread has been from Herringbone (no stalker)

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
ROYAL BLUE BUSINESS SHIRTS

I wanted to ask my learned colleagues here if anyone knows where I can find good quality Royal Blue business shirts. Some of you may recall Henry Bucks used to call them Tester Blue from memory. I have sourced Charvet, they dont have any, Herringbone in Brisbane didnt know what I was talking about and Ralph Lauren only do a Royal Blue in their Purple Range which I understand we cannot get in Australia.

Also, what is the universal view on chinos / cotton trousers with or without cuffs?? All my suiting trousers have cuffs and have for as long as I have been wearing suit trousers. I have recently bought several Incotex trousers that are all unfinished and I need to take them into the tailor in the next few days. I saw the reference to a good recommenced tailor in Richmond, thankyou for that.

Any suggestions / comments would be welcomed.

tone76

Reaction score
Had a bit of a wtf moment yesterday. I went to an op shop yesterday (just to browse) and found a pair of trousers that were identical to another pair of trousers that I'd thrifted a few months back, right down to the size. Now, if if they were something like PRL 'Andrew' chinos (I have 4 pairs of those, all thrifted), it would be no big deal ... every op shop I go to has at least one pair of PRL chinos just sitting there. But these were Corneliani. I've only ever seen 3 pairs of Corneliani trousers in op shop land. The only thing is I feel ripped off now. This op shop was asking $5, whereas when I bought my Cornelianis, I was slugged a whopping $12. The only trouble is I didn't have $5 on me :brick: so I'm going to sneak back there today and hope they're still there at lunchtime today!

Speaking of rip offs, in another op-shop I spotted a lovely plaid green Brioni sportscoat ... for $50! Now THAT is extortionate! :sly: It's just as well it was 2 sizes too big, otherwise I would have bent over and taken it.

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably hard to believe but I finally got my first chance to check out Herringbone properly today, previously I'd only ever tried on a couple of jackets at their popup sales.
As it turns out, their Osaka cut suits fit me by far the best of any OTR suit I've tried previously, not to the standard of my PJohnsons naturally but as close as I could reasonably expect given my fit issues. For some reason I was under the impression that the Osakas had been consigned to history which is one reason I'd not made much effort to get to Herringbone previously.
So now that I possibly have a decent OTR option fit-wise, does anyone know if the construction is generally consistent, canvassed or otherwise? Could ring Christian and talk some more (and probably will) but also interested in people's opinions here on this. Especially as there's a suit in their ebay store that I'm rather tempted by...

^ Talk to Charlie's Wardrobe. Every suit he's worn in the WAYWRN thread has been from Herringbone (no stalker)

hmm I've got a few pre and post Van Laack buy out and I actually used to work for Herringbone on the weekends back when there was a store in Canberra. As far as I'm aware, they were half canvassed before and are fused now, though the newer ones I still have just as good a lapel roll and the quality seems on par. The Osaka never fit me that well in the 38R but now I'm a 40R it's perfect. I think Thebrownman used to work there until recently so perhaps he can chime in also.

Philip

Reaction score
anyone know of the cheapest place to get woodlore shoe trees or any cedar shoe tree in general? Thanks

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hmm I've got a few pre and post Van Laack buy out and I actually used to work for Herringbone on the weekends back when there was a store in Canberra. As far as I'm aware, they were half canvassed before and are fused now, though the newer ones I still have just as good a lapel roll and the quality seems on par. The Osaka never fit me that well in the 38R but now I'm a 40R it's perfect. I think Thebrownman used to work there until recently so perhaps he can chime in also.

Actually had one of the (very rare) Milano block suits in French Navy that was fully canvassed. It had more of a built-up shoulder than the Osaka but less structure than the New York. Everything else was quite similar to the Osaka (3-roll-2.5 button config, full chest, suppressed waist etc). This would be back in 2008 and just before the GFC hit.

The other Herringbone suits I had were all half canvassed (2008-2010).

Wasn't aware that they've gone the 'fused' construction route... Shame, really.

To Lennier: would advise verifying for yourself though.

Last edited:

fox81

Reaction score

anyone went to see Gordon Yao few weeks ago? any feedback?

i went with another user from here named "quar"

i ordered some shirts as he had an offer on thomas mason shirting. obviously i havent received them yet so i cant tell you much about the quality. id note that he only had 3 collar designs with him (although you can customise them) and only offers one type of button, which were a bit thinner than i prefer.

he had some examples of jackets there which looked very nice, although no better than chan. the prices were on par with what i hear chans prices have risen to. i was shocked to see a suit from any of the lessers books at over 2k usd.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone went to see Gordon Yao few weeks ago? any feedback?

When to see Gordon and his Eric in Sydney with forum member incontro. Gordon brought my suit for a first fitting as he already have my pattern from before. I was very please with the fit and just needed few little tweaks. My friend took a iphone photo not the best quality.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads