• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah well I'm here hiding from the sun cleaning up my office.

Anyone want copies of MS_DOS software and manuals, manuals for AMI PRO, WordPerfect for windows 3.0, winfax, MYOB for Win95, Quicken - EPI Info?

Old computer mags - in 1999 a Laser Printer was $5,000 - my latest Laser Colour printer was $350 and it has memory, scanner and copier.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take away Bob Katters hats and you have 2 of the better dressed politicians (or ex) going round. Katter always rocks a good 3 piece, which I imagine would be pretty hot up in QLD. Anyway I'm a bit over politics at the moment with all this crap going on in the last few days.

Know exactly what you mean 'a curse on both their houses' is all I can say and WGAF because Super Rugby is back!

MickyD

Reaction score

The other thing about city and country in Oz is that for a country weekend here you might drive 300 - 500 ks out and back and into a different climate and weather. No pubs and corner stores a few ks away.
In UK that would be twice around the perimeter and back again and I think you get a medal for it.

reminds me of when I was on the Eiffel Tower last year. There was a school group from the UK (so about a 3 hour train ride away), and one of the kids said to the other - "make sure you enjoy this, you never know if you'll be able to come back again". Yeah, try being a 24 hour flight away kid....

I was genuinely surprised at how amazed people were when, on our first day in London, we mentioned to a couple of them that we'd flown in from Australia that morning (they'd asked about our allegedly strong accents...).

I also deal with people in Singapore quite regularly with work (I work for a Singapore owned company), and some of them can't seem to understand that two sites can be a few hundred or thousand kilometres apart. I did spin one of them out when I said my drive to work in the morning was 50km's, so about the same distance as one end of Singapore to the other :) :)

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im on my way down to the big smoke (Sydney). Picking up my charles nahkle shirt, i was then going to have a chat with the boys at Pjohnson. While i am down there i was going to have a look at some of these allen edmonds shoes that are pretty popular and look a lot better then what i can find in the hunter valley. So where is my besr bet to find a retailer who stocks some allen edmonds?

As far as I know Allen Edmonds don't have an Australian prescence at all. Anyone else know something I don't?

Peter Sheppard used to carry Allen Edmonds, but I don't believe that they do anymore.

If you are (understandably) wary about buying them over the internet without trying them on first, there are a number of sites on the internet - and probably a couple of threads on this site - that discuss the fit of Allen Edmonds' various lasts. Just be aware that the last on which the Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue models are made is very "flat" indeed, so if you have anything like a higher instep (ie the vertical height of your foot), they will be very uncomfortable.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Peter Sheppard used to carry Allen Edmonds, but I don't believe that they do anymore.
If you are (understandably) wary about buying them over the internet without trying them on first, there are a number of sites on the internet - and probably a couple of threads on this site - that discuss the fit of Allen Edmonds' various lasts. Just be aware that the last on which the Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue models are made is very "flat" indeed, so if you have anything like a higher instep (ie the vertical height of your foot), they will be very uncomfortable.

In the interests of transparency, and dumping what I know, Peter Shepard owns Mountfords as well as about 5 other up market shoe stores.

tone76

Reaction score

I have a vague recollection of this discussion in this very thread a while back. I recall something along the lines of the advice for potential PA/FA buyers was to go half a size smaller and a size wider than one's usual size. For what it's worth, I have both a high instep and a pair of PAs in 10.5D (my usual size), and I've found that whilst the PAs aren't the best fitting shoes ever, they're acceptable. That said, my next pair on the same last will be 10E just to see if the theory holds true.

Decided to get these; http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/315.php as well as the previously posted Herring monks in suede. Think this should see me through the forthcoming months. Now I have;
2x black oxfords
1x dark brown penny loafers
1x brown semi brogue
1x suede monk

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Herring monks. Judging by the website, they appear to be Indian-made Loakes. There are people on other (non clothing-specific) forums that have given the non-English made Loakes a decent rap, but I'm struggling to find any meaningful feedback on the quality of these shoes on SF. I'm in the market for a pair of monks myself, and as much as I'd love a pair of Church's Westburys, I can't justify the coin for those right now.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a vague recollection of this discussion in this very thread a while back. I recall something along the lines of the advice for potential PA/FA buyers was to go half a size smaller and a size wider than one's usual size. For what it's worth, I have both a high instep and a pair of PAs in 10.5D (my usual size), and I've found that whilst the PAs aren't the best fitting shoes ever, they're acceptable. That said, my next pair on the same last will be 10E just to see if the theory holds true.

That's interesting, and I suppose that it shows just how difficult it can be to hazard a guess as to how a shoe will fit before buying it over the internet.

As I think that I've mentioned somewhere here before, I was thinking of buying a pair of Park Avenues so a few years back, when Peter Sheppard still stocked them, I took myself off to their local store to try on a pair. I could hardly squeeze my foot into the standard width because it felt so low, so the lady kindly went and got me a wider, EE fitting. I could get my foot into it, but when I laced it up, the "v" of the laces was more than 3cm wide at the top. She then got me an EEE pair in my usual size and once again, when I laced it up, it was very uncomfortable over the top of my foot and the gap at the top of the laces was still huge. Of course, because of the wide fitting, the rest of my foot was absolutely swimming around in the shoe. From that, I suppose that I must really have a very high instep - and that the PA is a very "flat" shoe...

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Potential spotting at breakfast this morning. De Clieu on Gertrude street wearing high waisted blue trousers with sidetabs, brown suede chukkas and a light blue shirt. Fit on the trousers was fantastic my guess was MTM or bespoke.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyway wheres blahman?

That's just so sweet of you to miss me already.

In the interests of transparency, and dumping what I know, Peter Shepard owns Mountfords as well as about 5 other up market shoe stores.

Mountfords... I believe some driving mocs are on sale for 55 bucks at the moment and I think a couple of them are Geox.

Savile Row suit with a massive collar gap? What is the world coming to?

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-style/style/suits-of-savile-row-20120223-1tpyt.html

Looking at some of the other photos on the site. e.g. menswear from Milan, I see so many badly fitting clothes it's not funny!

The only label shown in the pics that's even remotely related to Savile Row is E.Tautz and it's pretty obvious their fits are far better than those from the so called 'designers'.

Just googled Matthew Miller:

Jedi Style F*Yeah! :slayer:

Why do these models always have this cluelessly duh, CBF and depressed look on their faces.

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing as I can't afford one of his suits, I've found another way to bring myself closer to Luca Rubinacci, by doing the World's Greatest Shave on March 15.

If you're not already signed up to do it or aren't sponsoring anyone yet then please sponsor me, head on over to http://my.leukaemiafoundation.org.au/tarangchawla

I'm shaving my head down to number zero and all money raised helps fund research into leukaemia, which takes the lives of too many Australian children.

lennier

Reaction score

Side note - this afternoon I caught sight of Lennier looking very swish strolling down Bank Place past the Mitre Tavern, where I may or may not have been making an early start to the weekend.

Ha, thanks Checky. That cheapo linen jacket seems to be a magnet for getting spotted, probably because it's what I wore to the Melbourne drinks meet so it's recognisable. Hopefully its place in my rotation will be filled by the jacket from the PJohnson cotton suit that should hopefully arrive this week :) I was heading off to start the weekend at The Boatbuilder's Yard I think, which is quite cool as it turns out.

Mirador

Reaction score
It seems there hasn't been any love for Cecil shirtmakers on this Thread.

I've had several MTM shirts done with these guys over the years and for $150 they do quite a good job. Cloth is sourced from Europe but mainly England and Italy, and the shirts get made up off-shore (Fiji last time I asked), turn-around time is usually well inside 2 weeks and they're based in the conservative business dress.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads