• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$35 for topying is cheap. Plus with nail on the toe top ! How is the finish around the edges ? I have tried few different places and finally went to Coombs. Coombs charge $45 for topying ...but the job they do is just amazing.I was surprised to see how clean the edges were. Huge difference than my local guys at Hornsby ($35).

Edges are more than acceptable. Well-sealed enough and flush enough with more care in the toe area. Any more detailing than what's done is a bit of a waste so I'm pretty happy with it.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would any other South Australian's (or any of you really) be interested in a small buy of Saphir products from Valmour? I need a couple of things and can't justify a big buy to offset the shipping at the moment. Prices are pretty great from what I've seen, and there are discounts for VAT/multiples of same items (~20% at 10x quantity.). I'd be happy to organise and distribute once everything arrives, but I'd understand if people want an older member to handle this.

Thoughts?

tone76

Reaction score

Would any other South Australian's (or any of you really) be interested in a small buy of Saphir products from Valmour?

I'd certainly like to source some Saphir products. How much would shipping be from Valmour? Would it be cheaper/easier to source from the US, maybe through one of the SF affiliates? Maybe some other Australian gentlemen with experience in all things Saphir would like to chime in at this point.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I opened a tin of neutral the other day to polish some shoes. Jeepers you want to make sure you polish outdoors! Powerful smell compared to Kiwi. The Renovateur is a fantastic product but the mink oil inside it is also smelly.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Last edited:

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Ok guys, need you to help and put your thinking caps on; I have a small tear on the top edge of a coin pocket on a newish pair of suit pants. The pocket is just at the belt line, so most belts will actually cover it up. It's only small, no more then 5mm down from the edge of the pocket, but I want to know what my options are in Melbourne around a satisfactory repair job (if anything to prevent further damage).

I know we have discussed the lack of reweaving services in Melbourne, but Tom at PJohnson did mention that he might have managed to find one in the conservative business dress. Otherwise, I am thinking of just getting it stitched up, accepting the fact that the stitching will be viable, but hoping it can be done in a way that won't attract undue attention. Any other ideas or options?

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Small tear at a place no one notices. I would just stitch it up myself with fabric reenforced on the reverse side, which both the extra fabric and the right coloured thread should have been supplied in that little plastic bag of buttons that came with the suit, and save yourself a few bob. But then again I'm just cheap.

Last edited:

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd certainly like to source some Saphir products. How much would shipping be from Valmour? Would it be cheaper/easier to source from the US, maybe through one of the SF affiliates? Maybe some other Australian gentlemen with experience in all things Saphir would like to chime in at this point.

Shipping ends up as 25ish Euro for an order, which is about the same as a US order, but the prices are much better than US sites.

For instance, a jar of renovateur is a hair under $15, without taking into account VAT deduction and discounts for multiples, a US site charges around $20-22 for a jar. Similar savings on all the other products.

Here's a link for your perusal: http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-leather-1/medaille-dor-47

CHECKstar

Reaction score

^^same exact thing happened on one of my herringbone suits.

Funny - this is also a Herringbone suit... design flaw maybe?

Small tear at a place no one notices. I would just stitch it up myself with fabric reenforced on the reverse side, which both the extra fabric and the right coloured thread should have been supplied in that little plastic bag of buttons that came with the suit, and save yourself a few bob. But then again I'm just cheap.

If you can do it yourself, definitely do it as blahman suggests. I went to an alterationist and got charged 10 bucks for a terrible job. Stitching was super obvious and didnt look good at all.

Still have the little bag - no cloth but has some thread and buttons - might need to pay Mum a visit! :tounge:

Mirador

Reaction score

The Carmina split toe Double monks are butt ugly though.

Well I liked them and bought them ! The more traditional arrangement for dub monks are too flamboyant for me (and dare I say it, corporate Australia). However,Carmina's Phila configuration for the dub monk is more discreet, and combined with the split-toe, makes for a nice shoe IMHO, albeit not to everyones taste

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I liked them and bought them ! The more traditional arrangement for dub monks are too flamboyant for me (and dare I say it, corporate Australia). However,Carmina's Phila configuration for the dub monk is more discreet, and combined with the split-toe, makes for a nice shoe IMHO, albeit not to everyones taste

I don't quite know how to put this. but er ah er, and don't get me wrong I love the blahsta like a brother (well a baby brother), disagreeing with blahman on taste is not likely to get you booted off my xmas card list at least.

Lowly Public Servant

Reaction score

I sometimes check eBay to see if there are any neat and tidy Persol sunglasses available and always there is a book that pops up in the search because the author's surname is Persol - "Woman. You need to hear this".
Curiosity got the better of me today, so I swooped in for a closer look ...only to discover a whole world of crazy.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Woman-Yo...pt=AU_Non_Fiction_Books_2&hash=item3f1123cecf
He writes, "Abuse is inevitable when purpose is not known". I'm sorry, that sort of thing is just going to get you a well-deserved kick in the nuts.

That is f'n awful!

LPS :(

Sceps

Reaction score
Prowling the streets of Sydney to find Rhodes and Beckett has 25% off shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads