• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzWino

Reaction score

Having seen Luxire mentioned a few pages back - does anyone want to provide some feedback on the process, etc (whilst I start trawling through the main thread)?

Ive only done one trial shirt, but from the experience and final product I'll be ordering more.

I measured two good fitting shirts (and averaged them). I followed the instructions on their website on measuring and all went really well. Turn around was probably 3-4 week until i received the shirt. But i imagine this would be very dependant on time of the year and their workload.

Ill be making one small change to a measurement, and detail then order some more shirts. Then the next part will be some trousers (which I'm probably a little more apprehensive about).

You can also send in a shirt for replication. But I haven't had experience with this.

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking a getting a few new suits. Are there any good stores in Sydney with staff that'll give good advice on the fit rather than just trying to rush you through the sale?

Budget is around $1000 for two and maybe a third if it goes well.
I assume in your case you'll be looking for off the rack with that price range. Peter Jackson has some pretty good salesmen I've dealt with before and is having a sale right now. MJ Bale have that 'two suits for $1000' thing which can save you some bucks as well

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with George & King's suits? Looking for a local MTM shop where I can actually visit the showroom

smeggett

Reaction score
Ive only done one trial shirt, but from the experience and final product I'll be ordering more.

I measured two good fitting shirts (and averaged them). I followed the instructions on their website on measuring and all went really well. Turn around was probably 3-4 week until i received the shirt. But i imagine this would be very dependant on time of the year and their workload.

Ill be making one small change to a measurement, and detail then order some more shirts. Then the next part will be some trousers (which I'm probably a little more apprehensive about).

You can also send in a shirt for replication. But I haven't had experience with this.
Thanks OzWino - this is exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for.
biggrin.gif

lolcoaster

Reaction score
I assume in your case you'll be looking for off the rack with that price range. Peter Jackson has some pretty good salesmen I've dealt with before and is having a sale right now. MJ Bale have that 'two suits for $1000' thing which can save you some bucks as well
Thanks.

Had a look at MJ Bale, Peter Jackson and also TM Lewin during lunch (with my preferences in the same order).

Anyone able to get MJ Bale to knock at few more dollars off the 2 for $1000 offer?

melbournites

Reaction score
Try Myers or their outlet store. Saw $299 and $399 suits. Recently picked up a Lora Piana suit for $399 in Myers. Also factor in alteration cost when buying OTR.

lolcoaster

Reaction score
Myer guy in the MJ Bale section was more helpful than the guy in the MJ Bale store - lol. Prices were the same.

Fortunately, the jackets all seem to fit me pretty well so all I need is to take an inch off the pants.

Do the outlets normally carry the same suits as the stores/online or do they carry last seasons stuff? (not that it makes much difference)

WillisAU

Reaction score
The MJB DFO outlets typically carry last seasons stock I'm told (by a friend who used to work there). I don't really see that as an issue though, their styles don't change much season to season, and they have plenty of range & stock so I'd rather save the money. You can usually get them for 300-400 so well under "2 for a grand"

JayH

Reaction score

Having seen Luxire mentioned a few pages back - does anyone want to provide some feedback on the process, etc (whilst I start trawling through the main thread)?

I'm in need on some new business shirts and was thinking they would be a great option to 'replicate' (based on me providing measurements) some Ascot Chang shirts I currently have which fit like a dream. I presume it's still recommended to place a trial order to get any adjustments to the fit sorted?

Also, how are the real-world turnaround times on garments?

Cheers

Send in an Ascot Chang shirt for them to replicate. Buy the pre paid postage option. It's probably the best $40 you can invest into your shirt wardrobe.

From there Luxire will have your pattern on hand for any future orders.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Restaurant suggestions required. Bummed out on Chiswick for Friday night. After something of that standard.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have any opinions on Melbourne Watch Company?

I'm putting my money down on a Tissot Visodate this weekend. Still considering the Flinders by MWC.

I bought a MWC Portsea chrono in a Boxing Day sale. It has a white ceramic face, blue leather band and rose gold case. Pretty nice for about $600 or so.

Reviews that I have found have been very good, with Watchuseek highlighting it as a recommended buy for Christmas.

The movement is not Swiss; it's the Miyota Cal. 9120 Triple Calendar Automatic. This is pretty new, and I have noticed that it is not perfectly synchronised - the day of the week ticks over about 2 or 3 am apparently.

Considering the holidays, shipping was pretty prompt. I was also impressed that they included a spare dark brown leather band, which I hadn't expected. They have also been pretty prompt replying to a customer support query about the movement. I've worn it every day since I got it and it has elicited a lot of postiive comment. Other than a little initial confusion about how to set the time, day, date and month correctly, I've had no issues yet.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The MJB DFO outlets typically carry last seasons stock I'm told (by a friend who used to work there). I don't really see that as an issue though, their styles don't change much season to season, and they have plenty of range & stock so I'd rather save the money. You can usually get them for 300-400 so well under "2 for a grand"

And regular extra 20% off on top. Also worth looking online store sales section.
Really the difference between the seasons are just a different shade of navy, or brown or grey and couple of really it there style no one really buys.

Also, I think there might be a suit or 2 in the back corner of DJs Melb conservative business dress that is still there. They must be down to like $100 by now. When I got my dinner suit, I got it for like $160.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads