• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to disappoint but I'm actually on quite a small budget. The cheapest burgundy belt on Herring is the Kensington for around $123AUD.

Would something like this be ok? http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/men-no-stitched-belt-0872410002.html

I can already feel the cringes I'm bound to get...

Looks fine to me, except I personally prefer a rectangular buckle. Once the shoes arrive, wear them to your nearest Uniqlo and try them out together (if there is one near to you, that is).

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now to find a burgundy belt, I've actually never worn burgundy shoes before so I have no idea what to expect. 

Call me a heretic, but I can't be bothered matching my belt to my shoes. I have a black belt, a chocolate brown belt, and a brown suede belt and that's it.

When I wear my burgundy/tan/chilli/chestnut/beechnut/etc shoes, I just wear the chocolate brown belt. No-one has noticed yet or, if they have, they haven't said anything. 

I have only 2 belts, 1 black and 1 brown.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Call me a heretic, but I can't be bothered matching my belt to my shoes. I have a black belt, a chocolate brown belt, and a brown suede belt and that's it.

When I wear my burgundy/tan/chilli/chestnut/beechnut/etc shoes, I just wear the chocolate brown belt. No-one has noticed yet or, if they have, they haven't said anything. 

One of the reasons why I recommended a dark brown shoe instead of burgundy, one less sartorial problem to worry about.

BananaKing

Reaction score
Looking for a white dress shirt on a budget and perhaps some shirts on the casual side I can wear tie-less as I've started to wear chinos to work instead of dress pants.The white shirt will be to go with the cheapest option ($500) plain Navy MJ bale suit I just picked up for a couple of weddings this year and future occasions.

The options I've been looking at currently are TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt. Any general comments with the overall quality? In terms of pricing there's this deal where I can pick up the CT shirts for $40 a pop including the non-iron ones, while with TM L. the non-iron ones are at least $60 multi-buy price and the super fitted cuts (which I probably need) are minimum $70 multi-buy price.

The other question is regarding sizing options. I'm a pretty slim guy, relatively long arms and a chest-waist sizing 38"- 29".

Checking out the CT extra slim fit cuts the 38" chest size shirts (actual shirt circumference of 39.25") only taper down to a 36.5" waist so I'm not sure if that's a good fit for me. The TM L super fitted shirts for a 38" chest size (actual shirt circumference 39") taper down to 35" waist.

I tried an MJ bale shirt when I was at the store, I imagine it was a super slim cut with 37cm neck and while the chest size was ok the sleeve length was too short (I believe 86cm length) and they don't have different sleeve length options.

So is there really any other options for this price-quality point with sizing needs considered? cheers

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to disappoint but I'm actually on quite a small budget. The cheapest burgundy belt on Herring is the Kensington for around $123AUD.

Would something like this be ok? http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/men-no-stitched-belt-0872410002.html

I can already feel the cringes I'm bound to get...
I recommend getting a a reversible dress belt with brown or burgundy on one side and black on the other. Will last for years and be a great investment. It might be the only dress belt you need. I have 2 x reversible dress belts and around 20 belts all up. I use the reversible belts a lot.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banana, from memory both tml and ct have arange of sleeve lengths so will be your best bet. From what I see they vary in quality within the brands. By quality all I essentially am looking at for myself is fabric thickness to be honest. I don't like the non iron stuff. Their build quality seems fine and mostly they last well. For the price they are real value for $. Of the others around I see Pink seems worst value and are mostly like thin paper although I have seen a few decent Oxfords from them.

ajc2162

Reaction score
OK I'm going to get the Strands in Burgundy from Herring! Now to find a burgundy belt, I've actually never worn burgundy shoes before so I have no idea what to expect. Should be fun. Any recommendations on an inexpensive burgundy belt is greatly appreciated.

Good decision, acinod. You'll be very happy with them. Later, you might want to consider getting the dark brown Aldwych - since you already have black and you'll maintain your Capital last collection.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That uniglo belt looks great for the price.

David Jones sell Alta Linea belts for $25 a pop. I gather they should be around same quality. Funny thing is that I noticed that those AL belts had the original price tag of 49.95 but got repriced permanently to $24.95.

Banana, from memory both tml and ct have arange of sleeve lengths so will be your best bet. From what I see they vary in quality within the brands. By quality all I essentially am looking at for myself is fabric thickness to be honest. I don't like the non iron stuff. Their build quality seems fine and mostly they last well. For the price they are real value for $. Of the others around I see Pink seems worst value and are mostly like thin paper although I have seen a few decent Oxfords from them.

As I remember Pink and TML come from the same bloody factories anyway.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks fxh, any particular reason why the non-irons aren't so great?

He thinks ironing is cathartic. And non-iron shirts deny him of that experience.

All in stock G & G shoes are £200 off at Edwards of Manchester. They only have about 20 pairs showing on their website.

Was just about to curse you for being a liar, but then realised you typed "£200 off" and not "£200" each. Got me excited for nothing.

Last edited:

iSurg

Reaction score
How is everyone? On holidays for 2 weeks for a wedding in Toronto. Visited suitsupply and picked up two jackets at 450 each (Havana, gun club check and linen). I am actually quite impressed by the quality and price point. Fabric is E Thomas and some other Italian mill. Sleeves are a bit long, but cbf'd altering for now...

Finally, why have we not discussed this amazing John Oliver segment?

0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads