• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
As long at interest rates stay low house prices will stay high.

Raise the rate to 15% percent and see what happens.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://instagram.com/p/Wc5QFTpcJA/

As captured by Christian Kimber this morning during our early morning catch up with Mr Shiny Shoes (Gerry Nelson).

Wearing my Australian colours - Henry Carter knit tie, shirt and suit by P Johnson Tailors.

Christian mentioned he is having a launch for his eponymous footwear company at Henry Bucks next Wednesday night I think and all welcome. Nice Guy Gerry (or I) will post more details when they are available.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://instagram.com/p/Wc5QFTpcJA/

As captured by Christian Kimber this morning during our early morning catch up with Mr Shiny Shoes (Gerry Nelson).

Wearing my Australian colours - Henry Carter knit tie, shirt and suit by P Johnson Tailors.

Christian mentioned he is having a launch for his eponymous footwear company at Henry Bucks next Wednesday night I think and all welcome. Nice Guy Gerry (or I) will post more details when they are available.

Looking extremely dapper as usual, Mr Socks!

The details on the Christian Kimber Fine Footwear launch (that I know so far - though not sure that there's that much more to add):

Time: 6:00pm
Date: 13 March 2013

It's going to be a fun night so come along and see (and feel) the shoes in person.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

has anyone tried Gelato Messina? :slayer:

Oh mang, im 5 minutes from the one in Darlo and Salted Caramel is my downfall

If anyone has recently purchased some brown shoes, I'm selling a beautful burgundy/brown leather belt, Made in Australia, for just $2

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251239590580?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I know you can see the size in the photo, but should probably chuck it in the description too. You have 7 to 12 seconds for a general consumer to make the decision, they dont want to look for details

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You don't get a lot for the money though, maybe that's what G-banger is getting at. If you make under 85k a year then it doesn't leave too much in the pocket for shoo purchases! And if you want a family and backyard forget it. I guess that's part and parcel of inner city living though.

Canberra is expensive enough but we have a high average income here (too many public servants). Where I live just across the border is catching up too lately, but we paid 450k for our fully renovated 3 bedroom house with a huge backyard 18 months ago. It'd be up around 485 now, same thing in Canberra would be about 550-600 depending on location.
damn - you'd barely even get a 1 bedder in my suburb for that coin sydney is seriously ridiculous

As long at interest rates stay low house prices will stay high.

Raise the rate to 15% percent and see what happens.

Dont agree - Rewind to early 90s and house prices didnt drop that much. Dwelling to income ratios barely dropped (which is a better indication of affordability rather than purely prices). What we had was a slow down in activity, offset by wage inflation .. see below chart in a recent RBA speech.

Plus we now have demand driven by offshore rather than domestically i.e. China etc adding to the demand side of the equation.

eightace

Reaction score
i know how you feel mike - 2Br unit around coggee/randwick easily 550-600k! my old man was selling them for around 75k back in the day.

meanwhile, has anyone tried Gelato Messina?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Messina is the best ice-cream in Sydney, and probably in Australia.

Plestor

Reaction score

You don't get a lot for the money though, maybe that's what G-banger is getting at. If you make under 85k a year then it doesn't leave too much in the pocket for shoo purchases! And if you want a family and backyard forget it. I guess that's part and parcel of inner city living though.

As you implied you probably need to live further out if you wish to have a larger dwelling. I'd also suggest that Australia has too much urban sprawl as it is so this may not be a bad thing...

As for earnings in a dual income household of median income you're looking at ~55k each post tax (70k pre). Obviously this is somewhat harder on a single income (150k pre). A lazy repayment estimate suggests that you'd have plenty with normal repayments on a sensible term.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Canberra is expensive enough but we have a high average income here (too many public servants). Where I live just across the border is catching up too lately, but we paid 450k for our fully renovated 3 bedroom house with a huge backyard 18 months ago. It'd be up around 485 now, same thing in Canberra would be about 550-600 depending on location.

600K + where I am in inner north the only good thing about Dr No being elected is the potential price drop in housing in Canberra that and the **** of the public service which will inevitably occur post election.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys some good news for all of you on the night of the Trunk show. Ludlows will be offering all Fox umbrella's and Geo.F.Trumper's shaving products & Fragrance at 30% off for this night only, in-store only. For anyone looking at getting a top quality umbrella (which many of you already can attest to) this is a fantastic chance to not only see and touch them in person before buying, but also support a local business at the same time while getting a great product at a lower price than can be found online.

Any enquiries on pricing/colours before the event etc should be directed to Richard at Ludlows rather than myself, mainly because I don't know exactly so it's best to go to the source. Email is [email protected]. All SF members will be invited so don't be shy, just let him know how you know about it.

For anyone not familiar with the Trumper's range, head here - http://www.trumpers.com/

Ta
Jason

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One way of buying property is to start shopping at K mart, Target, Lowes , Big w etc. lol
Me and my mrs just paid deposit for a house last Saturday. I think I will be forced to join the NP club for next 12 months at least.
And we will be moving from beautiful suburb of Hornsby to wild west of Blacktown. I am a house person. Units just not for me. After dinner a cigarette at the back yard deck is a must for me.
Funny when you catch train form the north shore in the morning you will see all suits/business attires. If you are at west its all green/orange vest and construction boots.
Maybe at some point we will be able to move back to north shore.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gerry, Christian and I were talking about this morning CW. With regards to what ties will be available on the night, can you give the details (will they be in your trunk as it were) or is that some to ask Ludlows directly? Sorry if I have missed this from your post above.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One way of buying property is to start shopping at K mart, Target, Lowes , Big w etc. lol
Me and my mrs just paid deposit for a house last Saturday. I think I will be forced to join the NP club for next 12 months at least.
And we will be moving from beautiful suburb of Hornsby to wild west of Blacktown. I am a house person. Units just not for me. After dinner a cigarette at the back yard deck is a must for me.
Funny when you catch train form the north shore in the morning you will see all suits/business attires. If you are at west its all green/orange vest and construction boots.

This is Sydney's version of the Great Australian Dream...

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should quit smoking then you'll have stacks of cash left for housing!

Gerry, Christian and I were talking about this morning CW. With regards to what ties will be available on the night, can you give the details (will they be in your trunk as it were) or is that some to ask Ludlows directly? Sorry if I have missed this from your post above.

There will be a lot of ties! I can't really give too many specifics because I don't have pics yet that will do them justice. A basic but not descriptive list though will be -

- heaps of new wool ties, some plainer weaves like herringbone, donegal etc, some checks, flannels, stripes and a few wool/silk mixes like pin dots. All of these ones will be in limited quanities though. All 3 fold and around $85 each. Over 30 designs.
- The new Grenadines in maroon, navy, chocolate, black and forest green. They will be being done in both 7 fold ($99.95) and 3 fold ($84.95 TBC).
- New cashmere knit ties. Brown, grey, navy and burgundy. $109.95
- New silk woven ties, mostly 7 folds but being confirmed as we speak

Also on top of that will be the Scottish cashmere scarves in about 8 or 9 colours (3 new checked ones on last year including black watch) $99.95 and the very cool new cashmere smart gloves in charcoal navy, that have special tips 2 fingers so you can upload your selfies to instagram on your smart phone without taking them off!

All the above pricing is pretty solid, but still being confirmed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads