• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Melbournians,

I have a beautiful Pal Zileri jacket that I've just purchased and I want to make the sleeves functional.

I went to my local tailor to create functional sleeves last time and he did it the shortcut way, ie. machine sew the keyhole area and snip a hole in the middle. The end result is a functional sleeve that looks cheap in my opinion.

Do you guys have any recommendations of tailors that do a proper job in making functional sleeves?

Many thanks in advance

Try Master Alterations at 10 Guests Ln, Melbourne VIC 3000. Sam is extremely competent and easy to deal with. I take all my clothes there for alterations.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time not on the board.

Just in response to the taffy post, I have experienced the same. No responses to texts.

Hope everyone is well!
What can I say? God is dead.Marx is dead. And I’m feeling absolutely fabulous.

PS Thank you for asking.;)

Last edited:

discomute

Reaction score
Without having a long winded response, those redwing boots are not dressy - they’re more utility than anything, and suited for denim or chinos.
Certainly agree on the last statement, that's why I like them... and to go on a rant directed at no one....

Not arguing with you, I'm sure you're right, but arrghh, the Williston is so much like a dress shoe, that redwing literally just trimmed the ankle height down and sold them as one! Look!

My biggest issue with understanding fashion is things like this... logically it just makes no sense to me!

For an office environment, particularly a law firm, a chelsea boot would much better suit.

I know, I know. Everything is driving me to RMs but I just really, really, feel that Chelsea is a farming boot. I suppose though that there is a logic to it. I'm happy to wear it in any circumstance other than a suit, so if work doesn't pan out I still have them. And if it does, well who cares if I think I look silly, as long as I'm fitting in. RM's are out of my price range, though I understand since I've got weeks maybe months to sort this I should be able to find something decent online.

You don’t want to attract attention to yourself and those redwing boots would.

This is one of the best pieces of advice I've gotten. It's easy to lose focus of what I'm trying to do here.

Have a look at Carmina as an alternative, or if you’re on a budget, Meermin (online only).
Carmina too expensive for certain, as I said my work isn't secure. Meermin looks interesting, though I've always preferred the derby over the oxford and personally don't like toe stitching. But so far that is a likely avenue for me.

If you want something that’ll still allow you to blend in and be able to wear with almost everything, perhaps a dark chocolate suede chelsea boot, or something like the Loake Pimlico? I have a pair I don’t wear often in an 8UK in case you’re interested

Very nice shoes, I would love them with a suit. But again the issue is that if I spend the money and work doesn't continue they won't be of much use for me. And that a very generous offer, but in UK sizes I am anywhere from a 9 to a 10.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, I know. Everything is driving me to RMs but I just really, really, feel that Chelsea is a farming boot. I suppose though that there is a logic to it. I'm happy to wear it in any circumstance other than a suit, so if work doesn't pan out I still have them. And if it does, well who cares if I think I look silly, as look as I'm fitting in. RM's are out of my price range, though I understand since I've got weeks maybe months to sort this I should be able to find something decent online.

You haven’t said where you live but I can tell you as long time wearer of RM Comfort Craftsman amongst other styles I’ve never considered RMW to be the boot of the squattocracy. They were a rural myth but definitely no longer.

Back in 2007 when Rudd got in it was virtually mandatory for all male APS staff in Canberra to wear RM’s with a suit. Thankfully the plague proportions of those days have gone.

If your after a good entry level pair of Oxfords try https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/ their house brand are fine look in the sale section.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So nothings changed eh?

By the way, is the power outage in Canberra affecting you as well? Looks like four suburbs are out of action.
What power outage? This town runs on natural gas generated by the house on the hill.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only time I’d consider wearing those redwing boots with a suit was if it was in a heavier cloth, flannel or a tweed. As Sir Hardy Amies said: “A man should look as if he’s bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care and then forgotten all about them.”

You can’t delete the post but you can edit them.

sensuki

Reaction score
Kmart now sell Modal and Bamboo mens underwear in 2paks for $12. Tried both out, and can recommend! Similar fit to a pair of Bonds, but with a higher back rise. I have quite a few pairs of Bamboozled from David Jones, but every other pair loses its elastic very quickly and the new fabric is a lot thinner/pills easily.

Epicure

Reaction score
A good friend kindly took some photos of me while we were out to lunch today. I thought I would share.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    537.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    654.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 33

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads