• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone ever get their jacket from taffy? I haven’t seen or heard anything from him in months.......

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gmail has decided that all the email I receive from Wallabies & Rugby.com.au all belong in the junk folder. Why am I not surprised!

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RKLan

Reaction score
Last edited:

Epicure

Reaction score
20190723_095231.jpg

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strong look.

discomute

Reaction score
Hi everyone, relatively new to these forums.

Just started a new job that I need suits for. Don't know much about fashion. Generally get mine from my HK tailor, will need a few more soon (have 2 but only work 2 days a week, will ramp up later in year) but just managing cash flow.

Right now my mind is on some quality footwear. My cheapy dress shoes have been used for 40 days and look like they have another 40 in them, haha. Office wears RMs but since I grew up country they just look like Blundstones to me.

Thinking of getting some Willistons from red wing.

Anyway, mostly having a read of this thread for some tips. Like the look of Uniqlo, not been there before.

discomute

Reaction score
Definitely not those Redwings with a suit!

What sort of budget, and what industry/environment?

Thanks for taking the time to help. I appreciate it, and am not really into fashion, so it helps.

Okay, why do you say not those boots? Most of my office wears RM's. So I guess my question is: are you saying "no boots with suits" which to an extent I agree with. I've never done it before but my office does, so I'm going to. Or are you saying "there is a fundamental difference in RMs Chelsea and the Redwing Williston"? If so, why? They look, to me, more dressy.

I am in law, but it is an environment that isn't overly formal with out clientele. My theory would be to have some light grey and navy suits (which I think suit me) that go with a brown boot. My charcoal suit would go with black dress shoes I could use the the very formal occasions, which happen but are rare.

My budget? It's complicated. My contract is until the end of the year. I'm trying to do what I can to stay there. So far it is looking positive. So: if I get those redwings ($450) and it falls through, I still have a good boot I can wear. If I am getting brown dress shoes I may not wear again, probably $100-150.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without having a long winded response, those redwing boots are not dressy - they’re more utility than anything, and suited for denim or chinos. For an office environment, particularly a law firm, a chelsea boot would much better suit. You don’t want to attract attention to yourself and those redwing boots would.
Have a look at Carmina as an alternative, or if you’re on a budget, Meermin (online only).
If you want something that’ll still allow you to blend in and be able to wear with almost everything, perhaps a dark chocolate suede chelsea boot, or something like the Loake Pimlico? I have a pair I don’t wear often in an 8UK in case you’re interested

LLlamon

Reaction score
Hey Melbournians,

I have a beautiful Pal Zileri jacket that I've just purchased and I want to make the sleeves functional.

I went to my local tailor to create functional sleeves last time and he did it the shortcut way, ie. machine sew the keyhole area and snip a hole in the middle. The end result is a functional sleeve that looks cheap in my opinion.

Do you guys have any recommendations of tailors that do a proper job in making functional sleeves?

Many thanks in advance

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads