• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we're posting jumpers, this is mine today and I love the colour too :colgate:

tumblr_pavgc4d4uZ1s5fve2o3_540.jpg

Jacket and shirt are Drake's, jumper is Inis Meain.

theowbert

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a brand new Aspesi M-43 Overshirt Jacket which I intended to use over my suits but I completely forgot to compensate for the additional bulk of the suit, bought true to size and as a result it is now useless to me.

Was just wondering if anyone was interested in it before I send it back. Selling it for $250 pick-up near Martin place.

03-01-2018_aspesi_m43overshirtjacket_militarygreen_cg17-e794-01-239_ja_1x.jpg

Screenshot_20180625-193613.jpg

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to recommend Christie's RAAF A-2 leather jacket to those of us who wants a good quality trim-fitting leather jacket, http://www.christies.net.au/list.mibiznez?id=325&name=NO PATCH. I purchased one in 40R today from the Pitt St store. It's currently on sale for $235, probably the best value leather jacket out there, comes in sizes from 36 to 48, Short, Regular and Long. I bought the same jacket a couple of years back in 38R, but has put a bit of weight around my gut and passed that onto my wife; I also have a Contact Gear A-2 jacket in S, from the military shop, https://www.militaryshop.com.au/features/a2.html, its goat skin shell is a lot more stiff and dry compare to Christie's, and the hides have a lot more loose grain and insect bites. Its fit follows the modernized US specs of fuller roomy fit. Its S feels roomier than my Christie's 40R.

Christie's jacket is built to spec label 30-1415, the original spec from 1931 that was used in WWII, it is a shirt-like jacket. It should be worn zipped up, its original purpose was a windbreaker, so no layering on top of a shirt. Speaking from my own experience, if you choose a looser fit, the armhole gets quite big with overhanging epaulets, not to mention the excess leather on the chest. If the jacket fits close to your body you may have the most ease in movement, just like how a suit jacket should fit.

"The basic components of the leather shell of an A-2 jacket consist of one piece of leather for the back, one piece for each of the left and right front panels, and two pieces for each sleeve running the length of the sleeve. Wartime commercial versions (i.e., not government contract) and many post-war replicas sometimes use additional pieces for the back and sleeves."

"One characteristic that A-2 pockets definitely did not have was the side-entry or "hand-warmer" secondary pockets. This is strictly a commercial embellishment."

Having 3 large pieces of leather for the body, and 2 long pieces for each sleeve, meaning there will be some loose grain hide being utilized to keep the cost down, unless you want to pay around $2000 for a jacket.

Looking at the photos below, you can see the variances in the colours of the cotton lining and goat skin from different production batches.

upload_2018-6-25_23-54-53.png

upload_2018-6-25_23-56-34.png

upload_2018-6-25_23-58-13.png

Article 26

Reaction score
I would like to recommend Christie's RAAF A-2 leather jacket to those of us who wants a good quality trim-fitting leather jacket, http://www.christies.net.au/list.mibiznez?id=325&name=NO PATCH. I purchased one in 40R today from the Pitt St store. It's currently on sale for $235, probably the best value leather jacket out there, comes in sizes from 36 to 48, Short, Regular and Long. I bought the same jacket a couple of years back in 38R, but has put a bit of weight around my gut and passed that onto my wife; I also have a Contact Gear A-2 jacket in S, from the military shop, https://www.militaryshop.com.au/features/a2.html, its goat skin shell is a lot more stiff and dry compare to Christie's, and the hides have a lot more loose grain and insect bites. Its fit follows the modernized US specs of fuller roomy fit. Its S feels roomier than my Christie's 40R.

Christie's jacket is built to spec label 30-1415, the original spec from 1931 that was used in WWII, it is a shirt-like jacket. It should be worn zipped up, its original purpose was a windbreaker, so no layering on top of a shirt. Speaking from my own experience, if you choose a looser fit, the armhole gets quite big with overhanging epaulets, not to mention the excess leather on the chest. If the jacket fits close to your body you may have the most ease in movement, just like how a suit jacket should fit.

"The basic components of the leather shell of an A-2 jacket consist of one piece of leather for the back, one piece for each of the left and right front panels, and two pieces for each sleeve running the length of the sleeve. Wartime commercial versions (i.e., not government contract) and many post-war replicas sometimes use additional pieces for the back and sleeves."

"One characteristic that A-2 pockets definitely did not have was the side-entry or "hand-warmer" secondary pockets. This is strictly a commercial embellishment."

Having 3 large pieces of leather for the body, and 2 long pieces for each sleeve, meaning there will be some loose grain hide being utilized to keep the cost down, unless you want to pay around $2000 for a jacket.

Looking at the photos below, you can see the variances in the colours of the cotton lining and goat skin from different production batches.

View attachment 995305

View attachment 995306

View attachment 995307
Jesus! I knew BC was overpriced, but I could of become a Christie’s wholesaler at those prices!

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E072544E-BBE7-4F30-B6A9-8505E507EAE3.jpeg 4E9B2123-13AA-4BEA-8C61-41A01BC4C710.jpeg I recently invested in a 90’s Schott Perfecto 618, after wanting a double rider for many, many years. I have been getting a lot of wear on it. Even though one of the zippers on the sleeve were broken (see where previous owner put a safety pin), an email to Schott head office meant they would be sending me two replacement zippers free of charge.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sliq do you have someone to replace the zippers? If not try Roger Shoe Repairs in Redfern St Redfern. I had him replace a zipper in a three quater length MC jacket many years ago and its still going strong.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll give Roger a try - he resoled a pair of my c&J’s and I was happy with his work. Thanks for the reminder!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads