• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that the law has changed yet, or come into effect as yet, although I could be mistaken.

As far as I'm aware, you still only have to pay duties if the cost of the goods plus shipping is over $1000.
Yeah that’s my understanding too. The duties tax is 10% so if you have to pay $1000++ on duties you must have spent over $10,000 on ‘necessities’

Article 26

Reaction score
By "duties" do you mean GST? How do you avoid that with watches?

Im just asking for a friend. ;)
For imports over $1000 - as pointed out - duty of 5% applies (alcohol is quite different), once duty is applied then the GST is stacked on, too. (GST on duties, gotta love it).)
I have a good relationship with a few retail & grey stores in the USA and Europe, when I pay through bank wire, or CC, I have certain protections in place through my credit card company, allowing the grey dealer - in most cases - to radically undervalue the item on postal declaration.
Hence my annoyance when the retail stores didn’t (actually, my oversight).

Some people will undervalue an item, others will not, but if your friend pays through Paypal (depending on value and his financial arrangements) he’ll probably find he is covered if the item fails to make it.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By "duties" do you mean GST? How do you avoid that with watches?

I don't know about brand-new-in-box (BNIB) watches - it may work with those, too - but some dealers in secondhand watches will mark them as having been returned for repair (in other words, the watch has allegedly been serviced/repaired and is now being returned to its owner in Australia).

I have a friend who bought a PP Nautilus and a couple of other watches and didn't pay any import duties, due to the above method.

Article 26

Reaction score
I don't know about brand-new-in-box (BNIB) watches - it may work with those, too - but some dealers in secondhand watches will mark them as having been returned for repair (in other words, the watch has allegedly been serviced/repaired and is now being returned to its owner in Australia).

I have a friend who bought a PP Nautilus and a couple of other watches and didn't pay any import duties, due to the above method.
Yup, that works too. Did that, just once, many years ago.

xiaoli

Reaction score
hey guys. just wondering where we can get some decent formal / dinner jackets / tuxedos these days locally? (in Sydney)

I have not been following the forum for years, and before you know it, it seems MJ Bale is the only game in town.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I succumbed to the Black Friday mania and invested in the Kamakura Lucky Bag offer. This stuff always makes me a bit nervous, but the 3 shirts I got are all the sort of thing that can be worn regularly, not outrageous at all.
20171204_144731.jpg
Fit is pretty good; maybe a little bit wide in the shoulders, but that's nearly always the case for me. At about $65 each, pretty happy overall.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our Libertine Parfumerie SYDNEY Warehouse Pop-Up Sale starts Thursday 7th December
For 3 days only, save up to 75% on selected fragrances, testers, candles, and body products.

–––––––
Thursday 7th December 4pm - 7pm
Friday 8th December 9am - 5pm
Saturday 9th December 9am - 12pm

Pop Up is located at
1-3 Taylor Street, Darlinghurst

For enquiries phone 02 8002 4488 or [email protected]

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice pickup CD. I got one cornflower blue spread collar, a thin blue and white striped broadcloth spread collar and a purple and white thick striped cut away collar in the manhattan fit. I tried to palm off the last shirt to a family member but he wouldn't take it. :embar:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice pickup CD. I got one cornflower blue spread collar, a thin blue and white striped broadcloth spread collar and a purple and white thick striped cut away collar in the manhattan fit. I tried to palm off the last shirt to a family member but he wouldn't take it. :embar:

I went with the Tokyo Slim fit, which seemed to work fine. (Didn't there used the be a member called Tokyo Slim?). Purple and whit stripe sounds OK, but I'm not a big fan of cutaway collars. The collar on the peach one is not too bad when worn, though.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our Libertine Parfumerie SYDNEY Warehouse Pop-Up Sale starts Thursday 7th December
For 3 days only, save up to 75% on selected fragrances, testers, candles, and body products.

–––––––
Thursday 7th December 4pm - 7pm
Friday 8th December 9am - 5pm
Saturday 9th December 9am - 12pm

Pop Up is located at
1-3 Taylor Street, Darlinghurst

For enquiries phone 02 8002 4488 or [email protected]

Lucky bastards, mumble, mumble, mumble...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads