• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Rake is on sale at Coles :eek: oh how the sartorial have fallen:eek2:

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
The Rake is on sale at Coles :eek: oh how the sartorial have fallen:eek2:

They obviously understand their sales channels and demographic. Must be all the boys on the hill who need some sartorial help and they're going straight to the source ;)

How did you go with Thai dinner in Newtown on Sat? I didn't get a chance to respond but really its all the same on King St. The only standouts are Thai Pothong and a couple of others. You would have better luck elsewhere.
(Found a decent one @ Bondi Beach on Hall St - Bangkok Thai --> super tasty Drunken Noodles)

Never made it to Herringbone again last week, too many distractions at home / work. Anyone else take advantage?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Bravo Sierra the Coles I saw it in was in Gunners which is at the end of the sartorial universe. Those on the Hill never cross the bridge.

Went Indian Delhi O Delhi excellent food,highly recommend.

__PG__

Reaction score
Only size 11 1/2 and up at Herringbone now.

American Tailors is also on sale. Lots of handgrade styles in various sizes for $425. No Clifford in size 11 though :(

conqueror

Reaction score
kazuna is calling it quits on the retail front and will only do limited hotel visits from now on. bummer as i wanted to get some shoes next time i was in sydney.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They obviously understand their sales channels and demographic. Must be all the boys on the hill who need some sartorial help and they're going straight to the source ;)

How did you go with Thai dinner in Newtown on Sat? I didn't get a chance to respond but really its all the same on King St. The only standouts are Thai Pothong and a couple of others. You would have better luck elsewhere.
(Found a decent one @ Bondi Beach on Hall St - Bangkok Thai --> super tasty Drunken Noodles)

Never made it to Herringbone again last week, too many distractions at home / work. Anyone else take advantage?

i prefer Doytao - their stuffed chicken wings are also great entrees.

if you're in newtown, Pastizzi is also the local institute for pastas and pastizzi pastries. friendly service and great food.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a pair of Crockett and Jones suede Swanseas, or a similar shoe. I know my size, so can anyone suggest a good online place to buy C&J?

Too late to go to Herringbone I guess; should have woken up sooner.
I'd suggest a European reseller, may take a bit of searching for a specific model, but any purchase will be free of VAT (20% reduction). C&J, I believe, don't offer that as there is a local reseller. I know other English brands don't offer the ex-VAT price due to local availability.

Charhan1

Reaction score
What size did you get ? You wouldn't be able to measure the front & back rise and the thigh for me? I'd be interested to see what the fit is like on these.

I take a size 34.

Front rise: 11.5 inches
Back rise: 18 inches
Thigh (diameter): 12 inches
Trouser opening (diameter): 8 inches

Hope that helps.

Cheers

sensuki

Reaction score
I take a size 34.

Front rise: 11.5 inches
Back rise: 18 inches
Thigh (diameter): 12 inches
Trouser opening (diameter): 8 inches

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Yeah it does. I'm a 32 so if the grading isn't too steep, they should be a pretty good fit.

em36

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with Grenfell coats and could share their thoughts?
Yes, purchased the mackintosh-looking one and am very happy with it. Would caution that these seem to have a "modern fit," esp. in the shoulders. The SMLXL sizes correspond to actual shoulder lengths, so order actual or lay off the push-ups.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, purchased the mackintosh-looking one and am very happy with it. Would caution that these seem to have a "modern fit," esp. in the shoulders. The SMLXL sizes correspond to actual shoulder lengths, so order actual or lay off the push-ups.

Thanks for the feedback em, v.handy to know about the sizing and glad you are happy with it. Being styleforum I will assume that also translates into it being a quality garment :)

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest a European reseller, may take a bit of searching for a specific model, but any purchase will be free of VAT (20% reduction). C&J, I believe, don't offer that as there is a local reseller. I know other English brands don't offer the ex-VAT price due to local availability.

Thanks. I've found one Euro reseller, but they only have a size 10. I have a pair of 10.5E shoes on the same last, only in calf. Would suede have a bit more give, letting me go down to a 10?

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Thanks. I've found one Euro reseller, but they only have a size 10. I have a pair of 10.5E shoes on the same last, only in calf. Would suede have a bit more give, letting me go down to a 10?
I would only do that if they had a wider fitting (C&J, through my experience, don't generally produce F fittings unless through MTO - they sting you 60% for the pleasure) and even then I'd have to be pretty confident. Returns, internationally, are a nuisance particularly if you have to wear the cost.

Yes, suede will give but if it gives too much you distort the line of the shoe. That's never a good option.
Perhaps a phone call to the retailer, they should be able to give more adept sizing advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads