• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hello gents, just wanted to throw out a PSA here. I was walking down Oxford street yesterday right around the reservoir area there and saw a MJ Bale warehouse sale so popped in randomly thinking well I like their items and a deal sounds good. Turned out to be a VERY pleasant surprise I'd say. I've got to say I'm a big fan of this brand. Their suits/SC's are pretty nicely made and fair value at retail but here they were 75% off and there was a TON of selection. They had suits, sportscoats, formal and casual suiting, formal and casual pants, shoes, you name it and most of it was actually 75% off. Ties were $30 and still some good solid selection. Suits/SC's were NOT all weird end of sale oddballs. I bought a solid navy and mid-grey glenplaid sportscoat that fit me like a glove for $129 each (retail $500) and am very happy. Suits were about $250-500 for $700-2000 retail respectively. Tons of selection, great prices, etc so I'd highly recommend checking it out if you can before it closes on Sunday. I don't know the scene here in Aus that well, but from the malls I've cruised, I haven't seen a lot of typical iGent stuff at reasonable prices and MJ Bale has stood out to me as something local that I think is a solid pick, and at 75% off, I would have bought a lot more if I didn't have to pack it all up at some point. Anyway, that's my PSA. Let us know if you go and what you find :)

da(g)dstyle

Reaction score

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
3d printing a shoe last would be an interesting idea...
In regards to the D2, I think massdrop was selling it for considerably less than 200.

You could probably do that now with the current technology though it would take somewhere in the order of 30hrs and about 1 kg of the material ($50 worth) -> That is if you want the solid reusable last. Come to think of it, allow 2kg based on both feet.
All you need to start with is a 3D capture / render of your feet (easy enough with a Microsoft Kinect) and then send it to your makerbot to print. Hmmmm.....I might try this out. Thanks for the idea!

Also, cheers for the tip on the D2 on Massdrop - will investigate.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
What exactly is Massdrop? I see it's some sort of market place, could this be explained & must you register to get entry? Thanks

da(g)dstyle

Reaction score
What exactly is Massdrop? I see it's some sort of market place, could this be explained & must you register to get entry? Thanks
It's basically an online MTO program. The more people join a drop the cheaper it gets and then when the drop finishes, the vendor makes the product. It's usually a bit cheaper but you have to wait.

Styleternity

Reaction score
Curious, what fragrances are you chaps wearing?

My currently preferred are: Royal Oud by Creed; Sartorial by Penhaligons; Absinth by Nasomatto. Well for the darker months anyway. Though, I confess to liking the Comme des Garcons fragrances, too.
However, Floris and Penhaligons have summer wonderfully covered.

On the subject of fragrances, I wear both Endymion & 'Much Ado About The Duke' (from the "Portraits" series) by Penhaligons. While the latter is a wonderfully harmonious scent with a charming narrative to match, it is let down by weak sillage. Three repeated pumps to each major pulse point and my missus couldn't smell it at danger close range.

For a more 'everyday' sort of scent I've always been an ardent wearer of Byredo Sunday Cologne. It's essentially a citrus based aftershave at EDP concentration. Head & heart chords separate nicely and it wears more effectively than the MAATD.

Now that we're onto this topic: do any scientifically minded iGents know how body perspiration affects the properties of fragrance? Am I to assume that heavy sweating can ruin or mask the intended progression of an EDT/EDP as the day wears on?

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
It's basically an online MTO program. The more people join a drop the cheaper it gets and then when the drop finishes, the vendor makes the product. It's usually a bit cheaper but you have to wait.
Interesting. Are there any British shoe makers? Leather ateliers etc? Or is it American?

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
On the subject of fragrances, I wear both Endymion & 'Much Ado About The Duke' (from the "Portraits" series) by Penhaligons. While the latter is a wonderfully harmonious scent with a charming narrative to match, it is let down by weak sillage. Three repeated pumps to each major pulse point and my missus couldn't smell it at danger close range.

For a more 'everyday' sort of scent I've always been an ardent wearer of Byredo Sunday Cologne. It's essentially a citrus based aftershave at EDP concentration. Head & heart chords separate nicely and it wears more effectively than the MAATD.

Now that we're onto this topic: do any scientifically minded iGents know how body perspiration affects the properties of fragrance? Am I to assume that heavy sweating can ruin or mask the intended progression of an EDT/EDP as the day wears on?
Byredo, one I have meant to try. Summer, I tend to wear Floris Bergamotto a lot.

da(g)dstyle

Reaction score
Interesting. Are there any British shoe makers? Leather ateliers etc? Or is it American?
Umm they've had loakes before. A Carmina drop just ended. I've seen fox umbrellas. There's all kinds of other stuff too like camera gear, audio, etc. Safety razors as previously mentioned.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Worth joining for Fox alone. I do love my umbrellas!
Thanks, for the information.
Gave it a try. Generally, not one to shop online, sounded interesting and I tuned in, but ultimately, the noise was too much.
Thanks again, it was insightful.

Last edited:

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
IMG_2267.JPG
Serious shoe Appreciation: Saint Crispin's Mod.110, just posted on Tumblr.
Yet to go down the SC road, ordered and cancelled a pair of 402 boots (may still order the 601), always making rash decisions. These, however, are very me!

click here

Reaction score
Kit and Ace closed down recently and all their remaining stock are on sale at ozsale.com.au (you need to log on to view the sales). Still lots of stock and sizes left, prices are good especially the pants all less than $50.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, those Saint Crispins are nice.

For all those dissing out Double Monk: you don't have to shop there, you know. It's your choice. And it's their choice as to how much markup they put on their footwear.

I believe that this concept is known generally as the "free market".

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Wow, those Saint Crispins are nice.

For all those dissing out Double Monk: you don't have to shop there, you know. It's your choice. And it's their choice as to how much markup they put on their footwear.

I believe that this concept is known generally as the "free market".
I'd like that numerous times, unfortunately, that's not aloud.

As a London, as-well-as domestic, shopper, service is inclusive of price, certainly where I shop. Each premium is negated by the next bargain (relatively, of course).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads