• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have half a 5ml sample of Norne left, you can have it. Stuff smells like a Scandi hipster doing shots of jaeger in the basement of an old Chinese herbal medicine joint

If you don't get pine and a dark forest from Norne, your samples bunk or you're doing it wrong.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernesto, tobacco vanille is very different - it starts off quite sweet and slightly intolerable, however ends quite light. Much more masculine than Tuscan leather. Think of it as deep musky sorta smell. I think Petepan could better describe - he's the person I sourced it from!

Interesting, and this illustrates how subjective this sort of thing can be.

I really like Tuscan Leather although my wife took a little while to get used to it - when I first wore it, she said that I smelled like a fire in a Chesterfield couch factory.

However, I find Tobacco Vanille to be too sweet and cloying. I hope that it would "dry down" into something that I liked more, but it didn't (to my nose, anyway) - it always remained too sweetish.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also mindful that fragrances reacts differently to people's skins, so JM is right, it's subjective. I found that Tuscan leather is barely detectable by the end of the day. I can see why she thinks it smells like a chesterfield factory - however I find the scent of raspberries more prominent than the leather.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll add a few to the list there...

For leather, try Hermessence cuir d'ange (Hermes store), Dior Cuir Canage (Dior Boutiques), Tom Ford Ombre Leather (David Jones), Le Labo Cuir 46 (selected Mecca's) and if you're in Syd/Melb then go to Men's Biz.

For pine - Tom Ford Italian Cypress (if you can still find it), Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles (Mecca)

And along the lines of burned wood, leather, pine, etc check out the various Comme Des Garcons and a bunch of the Amouage line. Oh and that whole new green series from Fords line too.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might be out of town Thursday but otherwise in

I'm busy Wednesday but free Friday next week, does that suit the four of us?

Otherwise, let's default to Thursday and hope the elder fox is available.

As for location - somewhere near Kingston on the water, I don't know where's good or average, so looking to you fellas for advice.

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
Morning all,

Trawling through the trash online I came across this article re The Six Essential Shoes every man should own.

It's the last paragraph referring to Chelsea boots that got me (I chose to ignore the rest). The line about RM Williams now being a luxury boot maker....
So much for that blue collar / farmer heritage.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing as I've been reading some hardcore Marxist theory this week I would say it's a simple fetishising and fabricated desire based on the romanticised myth of the outback that the band possesses in the popular urbane imigination. And the exploitation of this by the LVMH Group to increase sales based on exclusivity. From there it's a simple matter of absence & desire on the part of the surplused monied consumer who is seeking to fill a void in the banality of their existence. I also would venture that in the workers milieu that both their cultural capital and symbolic power would rise amongst their peers by their ownership of a custom made pair of Emu/Crocodile skin CV RM boots.

Disclaimer I do own four pairs of RM boots varying from 25 to 10 years old.

Last edited:

acinod

Reaction score
Gents,

Suitsupply suit just arrived and I need a tailor. Used to go to Sam and Feys near Docklands but seems like the man's retired.

Any suggestions?

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents,

Suitsupply suit just arrived and I need a tailor. Used to go to Sam and Feys near Docklands but seems like the man's retired.

Any suggestions?

I think he might have move - he has quite a few fans here who will remind you.

I use Chronic Fix on Greville - but mostly for jeans etc these days - the woman there who owns it is really good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics