• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

For@Master-Classter and other fragrance fans. Found these in a market today.

Wow, neat! Was just in Melbourne for a couple of days (in town for only a day so I didn't message you but I'll be back in a couple of weeks and will give you a shout) and popped past Men's Biz for example. Where'd you find these sort of things? (you can PM if it's under the radar) Amazing pickups there...

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, neat! Was just in Melbourne for a couple of days (in town for only a day so I didn't message you but I'll be back in a couple of weeks and will give you a shout) and popped past Men's Biz for example. Where'd you find these sort of things? (you can PM if it's under the radar) Amazing pickups there...

Let us know when you're down in Melbourne again. We're overdue for a catch up!

d4g6k11

Reaction score
G'day Brisbanites, I'm looking for a quality pair of jeans. I've been reading up on selvedge and raw denim. My interest is piqued but I'm not after these characteristics to the exclusion of all else.. Whats a good store to get a quality pair of jeans - bricks and mortar or online. Brand is not important, quality is. I'd be happy with a lighter weight denim because of the climate here.

Oh, and the kicker, I'm a 38 so Uniqlo and Phable don't have my size :(

Again, Thanks in advance.

BananaKing

Reaction score
Hi gents,

Looking for some sartorial opinions for big day coming up. Topic: odd waistcoats.

Getting married in August this year. This isn't a fancy affair. You'd be one of the best dressed on the day (top 3) with a well fitting MJB suit and pair of Loakes.

Given the context I'll just be ensuring the groomsmen have a well fitting single breasted notched lapel navy suit, white shirt, white pocket square, acceptably shaped dark brown shoes and matching belt. With burgundy being one of the main colour themes I'll try to grab us all a burgundy tie (maybe pick up HC fina weave grenadine). Don't want to ask them to be buying something they won't wear again.

So the only thing different for myself is that I'm considering a waistcoat. I have a couple of navy suits (single breasted notched lapel) I might wear but none are a 3-piece. As this is a relatively casual dress standard, what are your opinions on an odd waist coat (something like a grey waist coat (single breasted, no lapels))? Open to any suggestions or ideas

Cheers
Bumping my earlier post. Looking for advice!

Cheers

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a bit confused - do you mean you've got a 38" waist? If so, then Uniqlo should have your size.

Heck, I've bought jeans with a 38" waist at Uniqlo in Japan, so they should have 38" waist jeans here in Australia. If they don't have any in the style you want in the store, perhaps they're waiting for a re-stock?

Otherwise, you could check out Apartment. Generally not cheap, but the last time I was in there (which was admittedly before their then-location was inundated by the January 2011 floods) they had a good selection of different brands of jeans.

Also, you could have a look at MJ Bale. They used to have some made-in-Japan, selvedge denim jeans that were very nice (albeit expensive when not on sale), so it could be worth checking to see if they've still got some. Their jeans went up to a size 38 or 40, from memory.

Finally, just remember that, as always with clothing, fit is more important than brand.

d4g6k11

Reaction score
Yeah 38" waist. According to their website they have no Selvedge in stock for that size. I can wait though. I saw the Bale jeans. Definitely need a sale for those :)

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Let us know when you're down in Melbourne again. We're overdue for a catch up!

Will do! Planning to be back in a couple of weeks and will message y'all closer to the time

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Popped by the Harvie store on Jermyn St (damn, forgot how brutal winter in Britain was). All shirts in my size were gone except a rather loud blue stripe pattern. Must remember to hit the sales earlier next year. Some of the Harvie tie designs were very nice indeed, but at 50 GBP (on sale) I am still David Hober's customer.

Service was very cold, perhaps because I came in trainers (despite chinos and bespoke shirt). New & Lingwood did not have this issue (they do have around 3 sales staff per customer!). Cordings help barely spoke English and did not know what material the shirts were made of (brushed cotton). I bought one anyway, I like the idea of Cordings and don't mind supporting the establishment. Did not make it to T&A, the building I remember them in seemed to be undergoing renovations and Google Maps was confused as to where they ought to be. Also somehow missed Marinella.

The trainers issue got me completely ignored at Drakes as well, although the sale there was not great, the cheapest were 75 GBP. No sales in any of the Savile Row outfits alas, maybe it's again a case of coming earlier in January.

Richard Anderson has two really, really nice tweed jackets in the traditional Huntsman one button cut in his display (no. 13?) so if any of you are in the area I recommend it. His website does not do justice to his abilities, it is as if he is trying to sell himself short...

Foster & Sons had really bad looking RTW options, although they were also cheap. It is strange to see amazing bespoke examples juxtaposed with what might fit better in the Regent Street Uniqlo's displays.

The highlight of what was supposed to be a quick stroll before going back to work was:

(Vintage Watch Company, Burlington Arcade - for some reason there was a large crowd craning their necks for David Duggan but no love for these)

I did not have time to go in and enquire about the price. This is as far as my obviously old fashioned and conservative taste is concerned the epitome of both Rolex and dress watch design. Everything is so right, from proportions to materials. Sorry about the blurry picture, my phone was evidently not up to the task.

So looking forward to going home to warm weather. Hope you're all enjoying the summer.

melbournites

Reaction score

G'day Brisbanites, I'm looking for a quality pair of jeans. I've been reading up on selvedge and raw denim. My interest is piqued but I'm not after these characteristics to the exclusion of all else.. Whats a good store to get a quality pair of jeans - bricks and mortar or online. Brand is not important, quality is. I'd be happy with a lighter weight denim because of the climate here.

Again, Thanks in advance.

If you are interested I have an extra navy 38 slim straight selvage UNIQLO in original packaging and tags. I clicked buy twice. Good value and perfect for a warmer climate.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Service was very cold, perhaps because I came in trainers (despite chinos and bespoke shirt).

When I was there a few years ago it really struck me as a throwback, they still had the old style glass cases with shirts on display (think they renovated a bit since then). Was a very stiff atmosphere but had a bit of banter with the older guy serving there when I bought a shirt, he was actually talking about the need to modernise, what younger people wanted the the dilemmas of overseas production. Of course I was in full 'don't really give a stuff what you might think of me' mode which helped strike up a conversation. Was less well received at Ede and Revenscroft.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah 38" waist. According to their website they have no Selvedge in stock for that size. I can wait though. I saw the Bale jeans. Definitely need a sale for those :)

Have you tried on their size 36? I find their jeans quite forgiving.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How does cologne/perfume/eau de toilette like that tend to age, CD? 

Are old bottles like those still quite decent, or has the fragrance decayed, for want of a better word? 

Like an old bottle of wine, it depends on how it's been stored. Stored in dry, dark places, perfume can last a long time. I have a 100 year old bottle of Jicky that is still quite wearable.

Clear bottles like these are a worry because they will suffer from light strike if left in the open. Opening them and smelling them is the best test, and they were quite OK.

What does happen with most vintage is that they lose complexity over time. Some of the more ephemeral, brighter notes vanish and you're left with the heavier spices, woods, incense and oakmoss. With these two, even though they are supposedly the same scent, the more empty one skips the opening notes and jumps straight to the spices. It's not bad, just not the original design.

d4g6k11

Reaction score

If you are interested I have an extra navy 38 slim straight selvage UNIQLO in original packaging and tags. I clicked buy twice. Good value and perfect for a warmer climate.

Tempting! Are you selling for the ticketed price or did you pick them up on special? Tell me you picked them up on special!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads