• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

theowbert

Reaction score
This has probably been asked a bunch of times, but other Sydney members who do you swear by for a shoe topy ?

Contango

Reaction score

Sort of a random question, but who are the main OTR/RTW shirt sellers in Aus? ( price low - high)

Any good online MTM / instore? guys in aus? ( price low - high)

TMLewin as mentioned (get one from a store or Myer to get your size, signed up online and follow them on Facebook and buy on sale, they've had multiple $40/shirt offers in the past year), and MJBale (their outlet stores can be good, and they're regularly on sale). Probably also Herringbone, but I've never seen the value there.

I've just started using Luxire for MTM - send them a shirt made for you locally and then just order online.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TMLewin as mentioned (get one from a store or Myer to get your size, signed up online and follow them on Facebook and buy on sale, they've had multiple $40/shirt offers in the past year), and MJBale (their outlet stores can be good, and they're regularly on sale). Probably also Herringbone, but I've never seen the value there.

I've just started using Luxire for MTM - send them a shirt made for you locally and then just order online.

At times you can get them for under 30 each delivered at tmlewin. that's when I really stock up.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: TM Lewin, as well as the other low end Jermyn Street "makers", I've tried them all and the shirts die too quickly; aside from various issues with manufacture such as the cheap fusing used in the collar, the cottons used are very short fibre and low quality and the shirts end up "hairy" relatively quickly - even my Uniqlo shirts are doing much better. I agree that TML and the like are still the cheapest way to get a proper classic shaped shirt in Australia for $30. Hawes and Curtis is slighly lower quality and somewhat cheaper on sale (17 GBP is the lowest I've seen classic shirts at), make sure to go to the UK website which is then substantially cheaper even with shipping.

The only maker I know of price-wise between the high end (Willis, T&A, H&K etc.) and TML is Harvie and Hudson. Not quite the details or quality that you'd find on the high end but mother of pearl buttons, cotton that can survive more than 5 washes, a collar with decent shape and feel... you can probably get them for $60-80/shirt shipping included. The fits are enormous and shipping quite high but they often offer free global shipping as a promotion.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swear by TMLewins.Main part of it is their fit options. I need extra slim with short length which I don't usually fine OTR. Part of it is also setting up my own expectations properly. I expect the life of the shirt to last no more than 2years on a 2 week rotation so expect it to survive no more than 50washes before they become floor rags. Their collars are unfused, so all is well. Of course the life of your shirt also depend on how much you sweat, the general climate, how you wash them, how you iron them, whether you starch them etc.

Last edited:

Contango

Reaction score

I swear by TMLewins.Main part of it is their fit options. I need extra slim with short length which I don't usually fine OTR.

Same for me - I need the extra slim/fitted (although the longer length), and department store brands are usually too baggy on me, and MJBale sleeves too short (on their shirts and suits).

The one area when TML really fall down is on the quality of their plain white poplin (and also their plain white herringbone) - just too cheap and thin, you only get a few wears out of them before they're no longer "nice" and a hassle to iron. For winter this isn't such an issue as I get plain white twill which is thicker/heavier and better quality (although the short double cuffs on their fitted and fully fitted shirts are a bit silly).

I could never get Tyrwhitt shirts to fit me, Hawes & Curtis I found didn't last long enough and the sleeve lengths were a bit off. Harvie & Hudson not bad but hard to justify the extra cost for slightly better quality.

If I wash my TMLewins on a low spin cycle in a front-loader (top loaders I've found are rougher on them, especially the collar tips where my shirts fray first) and hang dry, some of them last for years.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tonic suits are great or is it more like a sharkskin?

More like Tonik I would say (I am told all Canali's fabrics come from Loro Piana).

Really looking forward to wearing it.

Last edited:

hamtgr

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a sport coat made that will work really well as an all rounder - i.e. will be comfortable in all seasons, and textured but not too textured. I'm based in Sydney hence why I'm asking in this thread - I'm sure many of you have a coat just like this. Cheers in advance

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same for me - I need the extra slim/fitted (although the longer length), and department store brands are usually too baggy on me, and MJBale sleeves too short (on their shirts and suits).

The one area when TML really fall down is on the quality of their plain white poplin (and also their plain white herringbone) - just too cheap and thin, you only get a few wears out of them before they're no longer "nice" and a hassle to iron. For winter this isn't such an issue as I get plain white twill which is thicker/heavier and better quality (although the short double cuffs on their fitted and fully fitted shirts are a bit silly).

I could never get Tyrwhitt shirts to fit me, Hawes & Curtis I found didn't last long enough and the sleeve lengths were a bit off. Harvie & Hudson not bad but hard to justify the extra cost for slightly better quality.

If I wash my TMLewins on a low spin cycle in a front-loader (top loaders I've found are rougher on them, especially the collar tips where my shirts fray first) and hang dry, some of them last for years.

TML poplins are definitely not great. I have ripped a couple from the sleeves. The better ones are definitely the twills and the Royal Oxfords.If need to go with thinner cloths, it is preferable to go with the patterned microcheck ones for better quality shirts.

Wowee Zowee

Reaction score

I'm looking to get a sport coat made that will work really well as an all rounder - i.e. will be comfortable in all seasons, and textured but not too textured. I'm based in Sydney hence why I'm asking in this thread - I'm sure many of you have a coat just like this. Cheers in advance

I want this too - also Sydney based, so am interested in what responses you get.

How much are you looking to spend? Any other design elements you prefer? I'd like a 3 roll 2, or 2 button. Medium (or large in a modern context?) lapels. Probably navy, but textured as you say. Not overly structured.

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@hamtgr, @Wowee Zowee - I'm not sure what you classify as 'overly textured', but I have a navy jacket in Caccioppoli 'four season' hopsack that is quarter-lined and wonderfully light. It would be perfect for Sydney's climate most of the year.

Here's a close-up:

hamtgr

Reaction score
I want this too - also Sydney based, so am interested in what responses you get.

How much are you looking to spend? Any other design elements you prefer? I'd like a 3 roll 2, or 2 button. Medium (or large in a modern context?) lapels. Probably navy, but textured as you say. Not overly structured.

I'm pretty much after those exact features actually - though will go completely unstructured. My plan is to wait for Trunk Tailors to come up to Sydney for a trunkshow as I'm not in any rush to make this purchase. Other option would be SuitShop/PJT but as I already have a suit from them I'm inclined to see how Trunk compares.

@hamtgr , @Wowee Zowee - I'm not sure what you classify as 'overly textured', but I have a navy jacket in Caccioppoli 'four season' hopsack that is quarter-lined and wonderfully light. It would be perfect for Sydney's climate most of the year.

Love it Sebastian, I suppose hopsack would be the obvious first choice.

herringbonePete

Reaction score

I swear by TMLewins.Main part of it is their fit options. I need extra slim with short length which I don't usually fine OTR. Part of it is also setting up my own expectations properly. I expect the life of the shirt to last no more than 2years on a 2 week rotation so expect it to survive no more than 50washes before they become floor rags. Their collars are unfused, so all is well. Of course the life of your shirt also depend on how much you sweat, the general climate, how you wash them, how you iron them, whether you starch them etc.

I wear my TM Lewins once a week and get 2 years in office duty and then 2 or more on a casual basis. The secret simply is to wash on a 15 minute cold wash and 'hanger dry'. Iron no starch. Any deviation from this will surely shorten the life span.

They have declined in even the last 7 years as I got more than 2 years out of my older ones. You need to be careful about online these days as I've just got 2 luxury shirts where the cloth is a bit rough and disappointing.

Still, I love their cuts and styles. I find many an expensive shirt disappointing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads