• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

acinod

Reaction score
Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for a nice leather belt, should I go with Meermin or BB?

https://meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4835
http://www.brooksbrothers.com.au/si...wvar_853C_Color=BLCK&cgid=0233-1&contentpos=5

Also appreciate any other suggestions for a simple black leather belt. Budget is around $100.

I heard Epaulet was good but with the dollar right now it's a bit out of budget (+shipping is around AUD160).

Herring is pretty solid around $75.

I'm looking at selling mine. Black and dark brown. Size 38 both barely worn.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A printer and a microwave oven.Not very exciting, but necessary.

Was going to buy a new blender on Sunday but with 20% off from Tuesday I'll wait. Why pay full price.

Muscles

Reaction score
I've been making room in my wardrobe and have a some jackets and a couple of pairs of shoes to sell so I tried Grailed. Got some interest straight away and then got the freight quotes to ship internationally and OMG, when did this happen?! $60 to send a jacket to the US... I hate to think what it would cost for a pair of shoes.

Is there a trick I am not aware of for sending clothing at a reasonable rate or should I use ebay and sell within Australia only? Anyone after some new and or near new Meermin's? Am I allowed to post them in here?

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in a similar boat - decided to live on my own so I've been spending the mighty dollar on white goods. I spoiled myself on a quality 12 piece saucepan set. yet I don't cook much.
1f605.png

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been making room in my wardrobe and have a some jackets and a couple of pairs of shoes to sell so I tried Grailed. Got some interest straight away and then got the freight quotes to ship internationally and OMG, when did this happen?! $60 to send a jacket to the US... I hate to think what it would cost for a pair of shoes.

Is there a trick I am not aware of for sending clothing at a reasonable rate or should I use ebay and sell within Australia only? Anyone after some new and or near new Meermin's? Am I allowed to post them in here?

Australia post have hiked up international shipping hugely just recently. The only upside is now base shipping offers tracking.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Might be cheaper soon to buy an economy class airfare to Dallas, pack the stuff you want to sell into checked baggage and ship it when you land in the US.

Last edited:

Epicure

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

A question on behalf of a colleague:

Is anyone able to advise on finding a RTW tweed jacket in Canberra, or if not, at least in Melbourne?

The interested person does not have a large budget (he probably won't want to break $1000), and I think he may be out of luck if he doesn't have the time to go sifting through the op shops, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Any suggestions welcome, even if they don't come under the stated budget. At least he can weigh up some options that way, and perhaps reconsider what he is willing to pay.

Last edited:

conqueror

Reaction score
got back from sydney last night - thank you to whoever recommend pendolino, it was fantastic. lumi was great too and highly recommended. stayed at the QT and while very nice i don't think it was worth the cost - will probably try shangri-la on the next trip (whenever that is).

i only had time to check out two sf-esque stores on my long list: kazuna and harrolds. bought a tie from kaz and he was v friendly, would love to go back for a suit if i was ever in sydney long enough. someone was in his studio getting measured up, but he still took a few minutes to introduce himself and show me around a little. i mainly went to harrolds for shoes as unfortunately double monk was closed, but i was disappointed with their selection - they only had 3 pairs of churchs (none of the model i wanted) and no trickers. back to the drawing board! capsule had a few cool pieces which was surprising (nanamica etc), but incu was completely average just like the melbourne stores.

kinokuniya have a great range of stock for an australian store, but some of the pricing for magazines is insane - $45 for an issue of popeye! i thought haven charging $20 CAD was extortion. had a quick look in muji but i much prefer uniqlo for flannels/ocbds etc - asked about a bed but they only ship within sydney conservative business dress, i don't think the webstore is ever gonna happen at this point.

i knew about gumption from last time i was in sydney, but didn't really come across any other spots that seemed worthwhile so ended up going to back there each day since it was a 2min walk from the hotel. huge lines on each visit, but blazingly fast service and still incredibly good.

tldr: i'm slowly warming to the city.

Last edited:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

in a similar boat - decided to live on my own so I've been spending the mighty dollar on white goods. I spoiled myself on a quality 12 piece saucepan set. yet I don't cook much.
1f605.png

Nice, good purchase, the sort of thing that will last you years and be waiting for you when you do start to cook more.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hrmm proving difficult to find a wool business coat for the winter.

Found a nice one in Henry bucks that I'm definitely not paying full price for. Middle ground was suit supply wool/cashmere and they're sold out of my size. Discovered a wool blend one in DJs today that I dont mind, but I thought my days of buying cheap blends were behind me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads