• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MonoWillz

Reaction score
As Foxy mentioned OH offer a great service. I'm in the process of having a suit made by them for my upcoming wedding and have been impressed with both their service and the quality of their offering. The trial fit went well with only a few nips and tucks required. I'll be collecting the suit next weekend.

I've also used P. Johnson in the past and the product is comparable, but I found something to be lacking with the service when compared to OH. Something quite intangible as I can't elaborate on it - just a feeling if you will.

Either way, you should get a great outcome.

Yeah I would defiantly go OH over P Johnson. Thank you!

Johknee

Reaction score
Any of you guys had experience with Andrew McDonald's shoes? I'm interested in a derby in the style of something like a Guidi 992 and I'd prefer to try on and get fit adjusted here than bank on something like grailed or another auction site, granted I dress more loose or (I hate to use the term) minimalist vs. artisinal.
I've owned two pairs of Andrew's shoes and both were/are well made. Selling my derbys - see my signature below. Willing to work out a deal for Australian buyers.

Last edited:

Epicure

Reaction score

Hi! I'm looking to get a nice bespoke/MTM suit made and I hope to get some advice on where I can go. Ive taken a look around and Germanicos Gold Package (Bespoke) or Oscar Hunt (MTM) or Herringbone (MTM) seem attractive to me. I'm looking for someone who is good with proportion, and can pretty much make me look good, especially with such a thin figure. My aim is to look good without looking too noticeably thin.

Now my budget is about <$2,500 and I'd ideally like a suit with:
- Slight Peak Lapel
- Solid Deep Blue Suit
- 1 Vent, 2 Button
- Closer? Waist fit?
- Full canvas (ideally)

I'm quite short and thin as well, 168cm, ~50kg so it's kinda difficult to go off the rack. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I'm in Melbourne

Hi MonoWillz, perhaps slightly off topic, but I'd be interested to know what drives your preference for a single vent?

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been told I'm a lot more like Danny Zuko.

Really? I heard most people (me) say The Fonz.

Last edited:

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
Yeah I would defiantly go OH over P Johnson. Thank you!
OH is quite wonderful, I've had two suits made by them and going on to a third as well as an overcoat. And wow you and I have the exact same weight and height...

Do be mindful that OH's default peak lapel option is 3.5 inches wide, assuming you and I share a similar chest size it'll look something like this
If you do want to slim down this is the other option

akclothpooper

Reaction score
I've owned two pairs of Andrew's shoes and both were/are well made. Selling my derbys - see my signature below. Willing to work out a deal for Australian buyers.

Sadly not the model I'm after thanks for the info though, may I ask why you're letting them go though?

I never knew High Tied was by someone from here, I bought a silk knit a couple years ago from you @tobiasj . Not the biggest fan of workboots outside of denim unless the chinos are pretty hardy though, maybe an inbetween like a combat boot (or something that looks similiar but without the connotations).

MonoWillz

Reaction score
Hi MonoWillz, perhaps slightly off topic, but I'd be interested to know what drives your preference for a single vent?

Hey Epicure, nah it's fine to ask. Single vent because it's a little more less formal.

OH is quite wonderful, I've had two suits made by them and going on to a third as well as an overcoat. And wow you and I have the exact same weight and height...

Do be mindful that OH's default peak lapel option is 3.5 inches wide, assuming you and I share a similar chest size it'll look something like this
If you do want to slim down this is the other option

Hey VirgilVerne, what a coincidence! Yeah I'm thinking of a slimmed down version. How do you find large lapels, do you feel disproportionate? How was their waist cut? Can you ask for a more slimmer fit?

Thanks for your response!

Spandexter

Reaction score
I have a bald spot. It gets burnt occasionally. I look like a dick in a cap. What are my hat options for warmer weather and say shorts and a linen shirt? Thanks gents.

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
Hey Epicure, nah it's fine to ask. Single vent because it's a little more less formal.

Hey VirgilVerne, what a coincidence! Yeah I'm thinking of a slimmed down version. How do you find large lapels, do you feel disproportionate? How was their waist cut? Can you ask for a more slimmer fit?

I actually quite like the large ones, but then again I've got a pretty boss face and some muscular mass around the body so I feel like I could pull it off :p I've got alright shoulders - not too slim or borderline scrawny so I feel like these peak lapels still suit me fine. If your shoulders are noticeably slim (severely lacks the v shape upper body that some men aspire to or pretty much exactly in line with your waist sides), I'd go for the slimmer ones, if you're thinking of going a bit more towards the fashionable side. The other option is go with the notch which is just universally great.

Oscar Hunt's overall fit is pretty much on the general side - you can go with no break on the pants and ask the fitter to slim it overall, which should be slim enough otherwise it'll bunch or pull at the fork. With the jacket though honestly if it fits then it fits, you can ask to taper the waist ever so slightly more to create a slimming effect but that's about it.In fact I don't know if there are that many options for slimming the jacket in general, even at other tailors, usually there's just that one accurate, nail on the coffin fit.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would always try RTW suits for a less formal occasions. Unless you have a wardrobe with 20+ bespoke / mtm suits. Also lot of the time mtm/ bespoke don't get it right at the first time. I would try mj bale drop 8 suits first. They have many pick lapel suits. Or even suit supply. Have multiple RTW suits, find out what really suits you before spending big on mtm/ bespoke. FYI I am quite skinny 5'10" and 51-51 kg suit supply 34r firs well and mj bale drop 8 fits with very minimal alterations.

Johknee

Reaction score
Sadly not the model I'm after thanks for the info though, may I ask why you're letting them go though?

I never knew High Tied was by someone from here, I bought a silk knit a couple years ago from you @tobiasj . Not the biggest fan of workboots outside of denim unless the chinos are pretty hardy though, maybe an inbetween like a combat boot (or something that looks similiar but without the connotations).
I'm about to leave on a 6 month holiday. Selling my shoes to fund my trip.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads