• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sakh2014

Reaction score
Sydney weather has been terrible the last couple of days, which reminded me of knitwear. What are the go to shops/brands in Sydney for slim cut sweaters/cardigans?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TM Lewin sells some Fox umbrellas for $70, in various shapes and sizes. States they are made in England. Pretty solid, a definite step up in construction from the typical stuff peddled around in shops. I have bought 2.

This is from the Market St store or online?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sydney weather has been terrible the last couple of days, which reminded me of knitwear. What are the go to shops/brands in Sydney for slim cut sweaters/cardigans?

Really depends upon how much you want to pay.

Uniqlo is a great option at the cheaper end of the scale. I've only had good experiences with Uniqlo knitwear, but I haven't bought any for some years (as I haven't needed to, as my v-neck lambswool jumpers and wool/cashmere blend cardigans are still going strong). However, others have said that the quality might not be as good now and that they've experienced pilling and wear fairly quickly.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never in my life seen any people mash the close door button in an elevator as much and as quickly as the F***ers in HK. And to make it more surprising is that the button actually works. I had wankers try to close the damn door on me after I kindly let them on first.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have never in my life seen any people mash the close door button in an elevator as much and as quickly as the F***ers in HK. And to make it more surprising is that the button actually works. I had wankers try to close the damn door on me after I kindly let them on first.
Lol that was you? Sorry little buddy.

sakh2014

Reaction score
Really depends upon how much you want to pay.

Uniqlo is a great option at the cheaper end of the scale. I've only had good experiences with Uniqlo knitwear, but I haven't bought any for some years (as I haven't needed to, as my v-neck lambswool jumpers and wool/cashmere blend cardigans are still going strong). However, others have said that the quality might not be as good now and that they've experienced pilling and wear fairly quickly.

I was thinking about something a little more upscale than Uniqlo

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chaps, what ties with this? Have always loved the simplicity of the pattern but apart from solids and grenadines struggle to match things.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Australia Post staffed by idiots?

I'm home working waiting for a parcel to be delivered today. So mid morning I check the tracking number and find out its been delivered. Nothing has been delivered and it had to be signed for.

So I ring Aus Post and they confirm that its been delivered, clearly to the wrong address and some tool has signed for it clearly knowing its not theirs, but hey what does it matter its been delivered. Then in the best Kafkaesque fashion I am told that who ever had to sign for the parcel had to have ID WTF this is news to me they then gave me a reference number, end of story.

So I ring back hours later and speak to another Aus Post Customer Service member who basically told me that the contractor was at fault here not Australia Post and they advised me to contact the sender. Speaking with him I realised that this Kafkaesque moment was being extended so I could star in a remake of my favourite Serbian film How My Life Was Systematically Destroyed by Idiots. :brick:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chaps, what ties with this? Have always loved the simplicity of the pattern but apart from solids and grenadines struggle to match things.

Repp stripe might work, as long as one of the stripes is blue. Or navy ground spotted ties.

Or if those fail just get a texta, colour in some of the squares and turn it into a crossword.

Last edited:

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm home working waiting for a parcel to be delivered today. So mid morning I check the tracking number and find out its been delivered. Nothing has been delivered and it had to be signed for.

So I ring Aus Post and they confirm that its been delivered, clearly to the wrong address and some tool has signed for it clearly knowing its not theirs, but hey what does it matter its been delivered. Then in the best Kafkaesque fashion I am told that who ever had to sign for the parcel had to have ID WTF this is news to me they then gave me a reference number, end of story.

So I ring back hours later and speak to another Aus Post Customer Service member who basically told me that the contractor was at fault here not Australia Post and they advised me to contact the sender. Speaking with him I realised that this Kafkaesque moment was being extended so I could star in a remake of my favourite Serbian film How My Life Was Systematically Destroyed by Idiots.
baldy[1].gif

I had a similar experience recently. Package was 'delivered' and 'signed for' but was nowhere to be found. After painfully navigating AusPost's customer complaint process the best they could muster was a 'better luck next time, mate' over the phone...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Graph check fabrics look very nice, as long as the scale of the pattern is small.

I think that they are very versatile. As you say, they can be worn with grenadine or other solid-colour ties, but also with repp stripes (again, as long as the graph check pattern is small) or even with spotted/dotted ties.

However, in my opinion, they look particularly good with neat print silk ties.

Essentially, anything that would go with a small, gingham check shirt will also go with a graph (or grid) check shirt.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score

So I ring back hours later and speak to another Aus Post Customer Service member who basically told me that the contractor was at fault here not Australia Post and they advised me to contact the sender. Speaking with him I realised that this Kafkaesque moment was being extended so I could star in a remake of my favourite Serbian film How My Life Was Systematically Destroyed by Idiots. :brick:

I won't have this unfair criticism of public servants.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
I went with one of the TM lewin umbrellas and just in time too, started raining on day back from store. They are indeed made by Fox, but I suspect by fox's shenzhen division... Better quality then a chemist umbrella but probably not amazingly so.

NathanBB

Reaction score
After a couple of incidents of a similar nature it was explained very clearly that as Asspost now employs contractors to physically deliver the mail it is not their responsibility. At best you can make a complaint against the individual contractor who delivered the item, but i suspect sod all happens.
As a consequence we direct as much mail as possible through our PO Box.
Considering we have figured out we have lost a whole lot of stuff I have struck Asspost off of our christmas list.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads