• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to get rid of a bad odour from pre owned suit jacket and pants? I've tried dry cleaning and it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. Have considered washing but fear it may ruin the suit and pants as it specifies dry clean only

Air it in indirect sun, stash some coffee beans in the cupboard.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Moved to Sydney from Toronto about a year ago. I needed my AE Shell McNeils resoled before i left but never got around to it...needless to say i need to get them resoled ASAP. Anyone have any recommendations for a cobbler in sydney or Australia i can ship my shoes to for something proper? 

I've used Brice's shoe repair on Castlereigh before for some heel work on my Alden Shell PCTs but I'm not sure if i should go elsewhere for a resole. Heard good things about Roberts shoe repair in Redfern but I'd like to get some SF recommendations before i commit 

EDIT: I've seen Coombs at the strand is recommended highly and Brice's is often mentioned, anyone ever have any experience with the quality of their resoles? I'm not sure if i should just retire these until I'm back in NA to send them to AE for their full restoration service or not? 

I hear mixed reports re Coombs. Maybe Brices is a better idea.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

SBS NEWS ONLINE

Isn't it time we stopped perspiring for the sake of sartorial convention?
26 FEB 2015 - 11:52 AM UPDATED 28 FEB 2015 - 12:29 PM

It's time we made business suits a joke Australia.

Suits, as we know them, were created in Britain in the Victorian era.

The average yearly temperature in this country is about 10°C - 15°C. Here, a necktie, a tucked-in shirt, thick black trousers and jacket will help you keep warm throughout the year.

I moved from Sydney to London six months ago. Wearing suits here makes sense. They layer well in the very cold months and keep you at a comfortable temperature in the just plain cold ones. This knowledge drove home a point - wearing a suit in the Australian climate is completely illogical. It's a piece of attire designed to keep you even warmer when the mercury hits the 30°C - 40°C.

Australians don’t just live in a furnace, they wear one around too. We wear suits because we’ve always worn them. Refusing to change for the sake of tradition is one of the biggest mistakes a business can make in the information age.

Take California, for example: Renowned for warm temperatures, a lack of rain and forward-thinking people. Home to the Silicon Vally, where the likes of Google, Facebook and Apple hold offices. A place with the famous saying, 'the only people wearing suits, sell suits'. These are the people that question the status quo. The people who stop to think. They are the influences we should be looking to.

Not just because relaxing dress codes is proven to make employees happier, but because, unlike the British they know what it is to live in a truly hot climate. I'm not saying every company should go to the extreme lengths of some. Thongs (flip flops, jandals), singlets and shorts probably don't belong in most workplaces, but smart casual allows people to retain a professional image while also being comfortable.

Not adapting can sometimes have dire consequences. Not adapting company attire to local climate isn't going to 'Blockbuster Video' a business. However, just because the benefits of a change may be relativity small, doesn't mean it's not worth making. Our past is full of mistakes we can correct.

So let's fix this one too. It's time we made business suits a joke Australia.

Curtis Campion is an Australian professional living and working in London.

Muppet.

He needs to wear a linen suit in Sydney in summer. Problem solved without loss of sartorial standards.

Do we want to look like Silicon Valley?

The IT tech-head types at work are bad enough.

Last edited:

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/campaig...tm_campaign=sscampaign&utm_content=&utm_term=

Suit supply's latest campaign is pretty funny.

SOMETIMES IT SEEMS LIKE IT'S A WOMAN'S WORLD THESE DAYS, AND WE JUST LIVE IN IT. THE MODERN WOMAN IS A CONFIDENT TOWER OF POWER, WHO KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT SHE WANTS. SHE'S BEAUTIFUL. SHE'S BRILLIANT. SHE'S A BONA FIDE TITAN. IT'S HARD NOT TO FEEL...WELL, DWARFED.
SO WHAT'S A GUY TO DO? YOU'RE A MODERN GENTLEMAN, BUT THE TABLES HAVE TURNED. YOU HAVE A CERTAIN WAY WITH THE LADIES...THAT IS, UNTIL THEY HAVE THEIR WAY WITH YOU.
YOU'RE A PLAYBOY, BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE PLAYBOY BECOMES THE PLAYTHING?
WELL, THE WATER'S WARM, THE WOMEN ARE BEAUTIFUL, AND THE SKY IS DRENCHED BY THE SUN. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL, YOU'VE GOT YOUR BEST SUIT OF ARMOR ON YOUR BACK. SUDDENLY, IT'S OBVIOUS. THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO. SIMPLY SIT BACK, AND ENJOY THE RIDE.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep can't work out if this one will be more controversial or less than the past ones.

Toy boys, females in control...with the guys bouncing off their breasts haha.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at least it's amusing, compared to the boring and repetitive likes of herringbone and R&B

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at least it's amusing, compared to the boring and repetitive likes of herringbone and R&B

Agreed. Herringbone and R&B look like clones which, of course, is not surprising given that they're both owned by Van Laack but it's a pity that VL has merged them to such an extent that they're pretty much indistinguishable from each other, and they're both uninspiring, too. They're even using the same terms to describe colours now - "bandeira stripe" and so on (whatever the heck "bandeira" is - it seems to be a bright green).

Someone posted a while back that Suit Supply is apparently planning to open a store in Sydney in the next year or two and I assume that if they do so, that they will then aim to roll out stores in other cities.

If that's the case, then I think that Van Laack should be very, very worried.

ApplesHK

Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At last, a great, cheap suit. Just $160 - as good as a Hugo Boss suit costing $800. This free ad....I mean this is an app review from MacWorld. This guy even owns his own sheep so cuts out the middle man. Wonder how many thousands of sheep he has purchased? Suspect many about to be fleeced; suit buyers that is.

That's hilarious.

“We have sheep in Italy that we own,” Rahman said, “so we get to cut out the middleman.” Combatant Gentlemen’s sheep are on the same farm as Tom Ford’s sheep..."

So they own Italian sheep on the same farm as Tom Ford's sheep? I'm sure that there's a joke in there somewhere.

I always thought that the vast majority of sheep in Italy are used for milk production (so as to make cheese), rather than grown for wool. There was I thinking that most high-end woollen fabric used by Italian houses such as Zegna (which makes Tom Ford suits) was woven from the fleece of merino sheep from places like Australia, where the wool is extremely fine, but apparently I was wrong.

“Whatever we recommend is going to look good,” Rahman said, “based on pure science – color theory – and based on other people in this matrix that have looked at similar products.”

It doesn't explain what happens if the other people "in this matrix" have awful taste...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads