• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trip report, for anyone in the vicinity.

Red Cross op shop in Bridge Rd Richmond, near Lennox St. I espied:

• NWT John Smedley sea island cotton polo, grey/red stripes, XL, $35
  • NWT John Smedley sea island cotton polo, grey/red stripes, S, $35 (same design as the first)
  • NWT John Smedley sea island cotton solid navy turtleneck, S, $35
  • NIB Barker loafers, black calf with croc accents, size UK6, $80
  • Cutler bespoke suit, solid navy shadow stripe, guess 42L or 44L, waist 37, $30

Sorely tempted by the XL polo, but too wide in the shoulders for me.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is it? How big etc? What sort of oil do you suspect? Bodily fluids? Cooking oil?

It might be set by dry cleaning - if its oil they should have been able to get it out.

I assume the trousers are wool?

Anyway get back and I'll give you some easy tricks

Thanks mate, no idea could be cooking oil or maybe petrol only things that are splashableb i dealt with that day.

Its a descent size, maybe 2 50c pieces.
MMh - a decent dry cleaner shoud ahve got them out. Hoep they havent set them.

Anyway - nothing to lose now and this method is very safe anyway.

For oils use dish-washing liquid.

That's DISH washing liquid NOT Clothes washing liquid. Dish-washing liquid is designed to get rid of grease.

Just rub the liquid into the stain, sometimes it works better if you add a bit of water 1:1 to the mix. You can also add some white vinegar 1:1:1.

I'd suggest rubbing it into both sides of the stain. Leave for a few minutes then rinse out in warm - not hot - water.

You may need to repeat s few times.

Pat the trousers dry with a towel and/or use a hair-dryer on low speed and COOL

Lets know how it goes

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
auburn is not that great. as aforementioned, high crime rate and depending where you are in auburn, it can be a bit rough. I would know, because I deal with a lot of the crimes in the area. lidcombe is more refined; the major benefit of lidcombe is that it is a major train line hub which will take you to the city in half an hour or less if you decide to travel around Sydney.
I would check out Berala - a lot more civil, quieter town feel, with a Woolworths, other groceries shops around and decent restaurants.

Last edited:

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Auburn stinks. Lots of crimes and overall just dirty. Lots of refugees from countries you and I would never visit.
There are different points of views - But I don't feel enthusiastic every morning going to work knowing big chunk of my hard earned cash is going to support these people and their families. And at the end of the day these people are always making it hard for the tax payers and their families. I hope my comments don't upset anyone.

I go to work every morning very enthusiastic about the contribution that refugees make to our society. Of course, I am lucky enough to have a partner who works with refugee communities every week so I hear all the great things that diversity and tolerance bring to our great country. I also hear of the tremendous challenges involved and of the times when things aren't going so well with some communities, especially when they try to find affordable goodyear welted shoes in bricks and mortar stores in capital cities.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I go to work every morning very enthusiastic about the contribution that refugees make to our society. Of course, I am lucky enough to have a partner who works with refugee communities every week so I hear all the great things that diversity and tolerance bring to our great country. I also hear of the tremendous challenges involved and of the times when things aren't going so well with some communities, especially when they try to find affordable goodyear welted shoes in bricks and mortar stores in capital cities.

I have heard US (refugees) citizens constantly bemoan this fact while weeping into their decaf soy milk lattes in Canberra.

I stayed in Dulwich Hill while in Sydney in January that is as far out West in Sydney as I would want to live, it does have cheap dry cleaners, craft beer on tap and a few hipsters. The big plus is the light rail.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Geez. Those Irish wouldn't be any better I suppose.

Don't get me started on the Irish.

Disclaimer Mrs GF is first generation Irish.

Last edited:

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auburn stinks. Lots of crimes and overall just dirty. Lots of refugees from countries you and I would never visit.
There are different points of views - But I don't feel enthusiastic every morning going to work knowing big chunk of my hard earned cash is going to support these people and their families. And at the end of the day these people are always making it hard for the tax payers and their families. I hope my comments don't upset anyone.
Yeah, nah.

Last edited:

Johknee

Reaction score
Bangladesh?

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was an expat Westerner living in Shanghai, I used to ponder upon how our community might appear in the eyes of locals:

- most of us didn't bother trying to learn the language properly;
- we congregated together in ghettos;
- many of us insisted on eating only our own rather disgusting ethnic food (steaks, burgers etc);
- the younger men would go out on the town in large groups, get drunk, often behave boorishly and occasionally violently;
- it was well known that most of us were "back home losers" sponging off China's vibrant economy;
- we stole their women...occasionally even ****** them;
- we loudly called for China to adopt our own legal and political systems;

...and so on.

Any self-respecting Chinese would have been quietly thinking "just go back home to where you came from, filthy foreigner".

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I bought a pair of zippered boots from Rocco when I was about 14.

I also commissioned a pair of bespoke winklepickers with side lace-ups from some guy in Smith St (or was it Brunswick St?) back in the 80s. Pretty sure it wasn't Rocco. Any of you other old-timers know who it might have been?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads