• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jimba

Reaction score
What is the best way to learn about higher-end fashion? I'm trying to rebuild my wardrobe from scratch and I'm wondering what the best way to go about it? Op shops? or something else?

boot_owl

Reaction score
What is the best way to learn about higher-end fashion? I'm trying to rebuild my wardrobe from scratch and I'm wondering what the best way to go about it? Op shops? or something else?
Op shops are a challenge if you don't really know your stuff. Do you have a particular look you're going for, or are you starting from complete zero?

Jimba

Reaction score
Op shops are a challenge if you don't really know your stuff. Do you have a particular look you're going for, or are you starting from complete zero?
I'm mainly trying to upgrade from rivers grade stuff. 90% of my jackets, flannel, and hoodies are rivers as are some of my jeans and shorts. and most casual t-shirts are ones that have a print on them from ones I collected from shows and got given over the years.

So to answer your question, basically yes I am starting from Zero.
As for looks, I'm mainly after the European look over the American look when it comes to casual wear and more British style when it comes to formalwear (suits and such)

boot_owl

Reaction score
I'm mainly trying to upgrade from rivers grade stuff. 90% of my jackets, flannel, and hoodies are rivers as are some of my jeans and shorts. and most casual t-shirts are ones that have a print on them from ones I collected from shows and got given over the years.

As for looks, I'm mainly after the European look over the American look when it comes to casual wear and more British style when it comes to formalwear (suits and such)
Firstly, congratulations on deciding to elevate your wardrobe game!

This is probably the most fun part of the journey, but also one of the most challenging. You’ll definitely try things you don’t like and make mistakes. Things that you want to wear won’t necessarily fit your lifestyle either!

From a learning perspective, there are lots of ways to go around it. I think Instagram and blogs are great places to start. Maybe permanentstyle for your tailoring? I’m not 100% sure what the European casual look is, but checking out bootmakers like Nicks and Whites (and the people that tag them on Instagram) can be a good source if you wanted to stick to flannels etc

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm also an Aussie.
I joined this forum as I thought it was time to time to update my wardrobe from the rivers and just jeans level I am currently wearing and now that I'm older (31) and have a proper job.

Were in Brisbane would I go to get good stuff and is used a good way to get high-quality stuff at affordable prices?
I am tall (6'4) and thin (60KG) so finding clothes can be tricky.
Try SuitSupply. Only AU store is in Sydney, but their online returns are easy. Will also take returns on custom made items, fwiw.

I am similar height, still quite slim. They carry extra slim fits down to 38L in most things. Have had very good success after years of shirts and jackets too short.

Uniqlo is a reasonable option for casual pants. Anything that comes in inch waist sizes (30/31/etc) will be 34" inseam by default.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a few pairs of shoes listed if anyone around these parts is a 10.5UK

BananaKing

Reaction score

Hey mate I’ve found Derek Guy really helpful for myself to think about how I think about my personal style in general and different settings.

This thread has a few good comments and then links to further reading from longer blogs he’s done.

OzWino

Reaction score
I was looking at some good boots from a UK maker recently. They were from C&J and had dainite soles.

Wondered, what do you fine gentlemen do when they need to be resoled? I'm sort of reticent to send back to the maker when the time comes, given cost and risk of loss during international shipping. But also not keen on some half-arsed 'shoe repairer' at the local shopping mall fumbling around with my boots.

What Australia based options are there to replace dainite soles?

eightace

Reaction score
I was looking at some good boots from a UK maker recently. They were from C&J and had dainite soles.

Wondered, what do you fine gentlemen do when they need to be resoled? I'm sort of reticent to send back to the maker when the time comes, given cost and risk of loss during international shipping. But also not keen on some half-arsed 'shoe repairer' at the local shopping mall fumbling around with my boots.

What Australia based options are there to replace dainite soles?
Kieran the Cobbler

Baxter & Black

I've used both. Both have done a sterling job.

OzWino

Reaction score
Most excellent, thanks.

I'm assuming that the old sole is removed and new sole is re-stiched through the existing holes. So quality of the work would be pretty important as it can be seen from above.

eightace

Reaction score
Most excellent, thanks.

I'm assuming that the old sole is removed and new sole is re-stiched through the existing holes. So quality of the work would be pretty important as it can be seen from above.
Best to ask them directly about details like this. But I've been very happy with everything they've done.

DL5392

Reaction score
Hey All, seeking opinion on alterations cost.

Just dropped off a sweatshirt to be shortened ~3-4cm, and a OCBD to be taken in.
Cost $100 for both items ($55 for OCBD taper). One of the alteration places in a mall in MelbourneCBD

Does that seem expensive? If so, please recommend a good alteration place in MelbourneCBD or surroundings. Cheers

Jimba

Reaction score
picked up my custom shirt from Mitchel Olgive today, it fits great. Richard and his team provide excellent service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads