• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

__PG__

Reaction score
Those of us who subscribe to The Monthly were treated to a great article on Robert Saville, the only professional tailor between Canberra and Melbourne who worked in the same Albury shop for 57 years.

The article is a tribute to a great man and a great art.

This is a gift link, free to the first lucky clicker! https://www.themonthly.com.au/share/213266/V9wvJknu

There were other (paywalled) articles published after he died in 2015 - https://www.bordermail.com.au/story/3535529/a-man-very-well-suited-to-his-career/

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those of us who subscribe to The Monthly were treated to a great article on Robert Saville, the only professional tailor between Canberra and Melbourne who worked in the same Albury shop for 57 years.

This is a gift link, free to the first lucky clicker! https://www.themonthly.com.au/share/213266/V9wvJknu

There were other (paywalled) articles published after he died in 2015 - https://www.bordermail.com.au/story/3535529/a-man-very-well-suited-to-his-career/
Thanks great article I used to visit Albury a fair bit in the early 00’s. Never knew about him but I always knew Albury was a more civilised cosmopolitan town than Wagga.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a source for good quality office-appropriate chinos?

I have a couple of pairs of Incotex bought on sale but their prices are getting ever more farcical. Even some old Herringbone made in Italy which must be 15 years old.

I tried Modern Classic’s house label (made by LBM) but they are quite skinny and bunch a bit in the crotch (elastane blend).

ideally something I can try on in a shop, but mail order with easy returns would work too.

Johknee

Reaction score
Hi all,

Selling a brand new Kamakura shirt. Arrived today and it doesn't fit. I'd prefer to sell locally rather than send it back to Japan.

Also interested in quality chinos. Recently purchased country road chinos, but I'm unconvinced they will last.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone run across this startup shoe brand?:

I came across them by accident on Insta, and they look pretty nice in terms of styling. The manufacture is Spanish (Meermin?) but hard to tell about the leather quality...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any Melbourne based horologists on this thread these days?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly random one but is anyone in Melbourne a slim 37cm neck/36" chest (or even 34") and want some FREE CLOTHES?

I am spring cleaning my closet and there's some nice stuff - knitwear, shirts, probably trousers even - that just don't fit me. Some is near new, some is not, but I don't want anything for it, other than for it to go to a good home!

wackowanderer

Reaction score
Slightly random one but is anyone in Melbourne a slim 37cm neck/36" chest (or even 34") and want some FREE CLOTHES?

I am spring cleaning my closet and there's some nice stuff - knitwear, shirts, probably trousers even - that just don't fit me. Some is near new, some is not, but I don't want anything for it, other than for it to go to a good home!
I'd be interested -- just messaged you

sensuki

Reaction score

I have a couple of pairs of Incotex bought on sale but their prices are getting ever more farcical. Even some old Herringbone made in Italy which must be 15 years old.

I tried Modern Classic’s house label (made by LBM) but they are quite skinny and bunch a bit in the crotch (elastane blend).

ideally something I can try on in a shop, but mail order with easy returns would work too.

Informale?

sensuki

Reaction score

I'm guessing that was me, thankyou!

CJWright

Reaction score

Jack Donnelly - made in USA, cut like they should be, flat front, higher waisted. 3 cuts from slim to wide. Well worth it. I think they’re doing a BF deal.

CJWright

Reaction score
Hey chaps, I‘m Nick and have recently moved to Sydney from London. I’m loving it here but my goodness the affordable tailoring options are limited! So much so I just ordered a new suit and a couple of trou from Spier & Mackay… however, I now need a good tailor to make a few adjustments to the jacket and trousers.

Any recommendations for a good but reasonably priced tailor?I’m living in Manly so anything local would be perfect but if not somewhere from Circular Quay up to Martin Place / Wynyard would ok too.
You could look at Institchu, depending on your budget I’d recommend P Johnson - they have a shop at Chifley Tower, about 5 mins from Circular Quay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads