• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RL concessions in the department stores in Kyoto are interesting and there was a Brooks Brothers store in Kyoto. Have you visited Brycelands?
The Japanese fashion scene is a thing to behold, for sure, both in Tokyo and Kyoto. Popped into Nishi Markets yesterday and almost pulled the trigger on a Type 1 Levi’s jacket (made in Japan), but reluctantly opted out, as I’m visiting Brycelands when we return to Tokyo on Thursday, and I don’t want to spend too much just yet.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Japanese fashion scene is a thing to behold, for sure, both in Tokyo and Kyoto. Popped into Nishi Markets yesterday and almost pulled the trigger on a Type 1 Levi’s jacket (made in Japan), but reluctantly opted out, as I’m visiting Brycelands when we return to Tokyo on Thursday, and I don’t want to spend too much just yet.
As an aside Ametora by W.David Marx is a very insightful read into how mens style/fashion evolved post war.

Don’t know if its your thing but read a very interesting piece about a Fender flagship store in Ginza.

We stayed a few blocks away from Nishi Markets I was preoccupied with the knives…was very impressed with Kyoto overall

OzWino

Reaction score
Contacts / pricing / more details?.. PM if you don't want to post publicly.
There is also "John K Tailoring" on Magill Rd. He says he is one of only two full proper tailors in Adelaide. I've only used them for alterations and repairs, which were very reasonable price. Been meaning to try a full suit at some point. But he says time is running out as he's about 70. They seem to have good access to UK and Italian fabrics.

alwaysnevernot

Reaction score
Ciao ragazzi

Hoping to sell three suits that I've long since outgrown. They only had a year of wear, all in excellent nick and dry cleaned. All MTM in VBC cloth in 2017 for myself, 184cm and 30-32 waist. Free to try on / pick up in Sydney or I can post - hoping to part with all three for 1k, but very negotiable, shoot me a message on gummy and let's chat:

Measurements below as per:

Jacket length (inc collar): 79cm
Centre back length: 76cm
Shoulder width: 47cm
Chest width: 52cm
Midsection width: 46cm
Hip width: 48cm
Sleeve length: 60cm
Sleeve bicep width: 18.5cm
Sleeve opening width: 14.5cm

Waist width: 42cm
Hip width: 56cm
Thigh width: 35cm
Knee width: 23.5cm
Leg opening width: 19cm
Front rise: 28cm
Back rise: 47cm
Inseam length: 81cm
Total length: 107cm

Attachments

• 0001 copy.jpg
    0001 copy.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 0002 copy.jpg
    0002 copy.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 0003 copy.jpg
    0003 copy.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 60
  • 0004 copy.jpg
    0004 copy.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 0005 copy.jpg
    0005 copy.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 0006 copy.jpg
    0006 copy.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 0007 copy.jpg
    0007 copy.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 0008 copy.jpg
    0008 copy.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 815
  • 0009 copy.jpg
    0009 copy.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 790

Markodevil

Reaction score
Does anyone know a place online or in Melbourne where you can pick up some nice henley tees other than Corlection?

The few they sell look good, but they have been out size S on the colours I want for a while now.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tokyo… Wow! What a rush! Food, style, sights and sounds… one of my new favourite places on Earth! Visited Brycelands in Shibuya and caught up with Ethan after more than a decade since his Herringbone days… He’s chill and cool as ever. The store has a sublime vintage vibe and if ever you’re there (for those who haven’t been), you need to pop in. Be advised though, that he’s mostly not around, and it was pure luck that he was when I got there. Ended up with a pair of Brycelands 133S denims (their new slightly slimmer cut) that look really good, and fit me superbly. Also bought a Brooks Brothers Made in Japan chambray shirt in Shinjuku, and put on a bit around the waistline, thanks to the amazing food, despite nearly ten days of constantly walking around Tokyo and Kyoto!

oz_boater

Reaction score
As an aside Ametora by W.David Marx is a very insightful read into how mens style/fashion evolved post war.
+1 to that, amazing changes in Japan from end-WWII to now.

Excuse my ignorance please, but what is "RL" as in "RL concession".

I will be in Tokyo next month and know next nothing about its menswear other than what I read in Ametora - and that book's basic lesson is "it changes".

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 to that, amazing changes in Japan from end-WWII to now.

Excuse my ignorance please, but what is "RL" as in "RL concession".

I will be in Tokyo next month and know next nothing about its menswear other than what I read in Ametora - and that book's basic lesson is "it changes".
Ralph Lauren…if your on Instagram do a search for Japanese men’s fashion

oz_boater

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren…if your on Instagram do a search for Japanese men’s fashion
Thanks Geoffrey

I am in the process of starting to travel extensively for pleasure and will be heading of to South Korean and Japan for a month end of Oct, then Europe for 7 weeks start of March 24.

Have pretty well settled what I will be taking - except my outer shell. Have a woolen great coat I had made in Thailand (of all places) and it is warm but heavy and not waterproof.

Right now I am seeking a waterproof coat / raincoat that looks great, is reasonably packable. That works as a coat but is also waterproof. Maybe a trenchcoat? Need to be long to keep trousers dry.

Does anyone have suggestions as to where to look in Sydney (or Seoul or Tokyo). Have 2 more weekend in Sydney before I set off.

Basic outfit for this trip is Oxford in Merino wool, Wool sports jacket, Chinos and Loakes Chatsworth boots. Just need that top layer for waterproofing / layering if cold.

Thanks for any tips

Maybe something like this?

Last edited:

oz_boater

Reaction score
For those in Sydney who need a good Cobbler, I have been greatly assisted by Ken Ho from Beecroft Cobbler, (02 9481 8303)

I purchased some Loakes Chatsworth boots which were way too small for me (the sales dude said they would "wear in" but instead they stripped the skin off my heels). (See: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/loake-appreciation-thread.354125/post-11533739)

Ken has patiently worked on them over a month, softening and stretching them over 3 fittings till they have become wearable. Still a way to go but am off to South Korea / Japan next week so out of time for the present.

Price so far - $30.

So if you are in Sydney and need a good, old school, cobbler who takes pride in his work - you could do worse than hop on the train to Beecroft.

fox81

Reaction score
Any recommendations for shirt laundering in Melbourne conservative business dress?
I used to use one in Docklands but now i am at the other end, cnr Lonsdale and Spring.

eightace

Reaction score
Hi gents,
Currently in London for a few days.
Does anyone have any recommendations for British-made RTW menswear?
Trousers are my priority, but any suggestions are most welcome.
Cheers,
Eightace

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gents,
Currently in London for a few days.
Does anyone have any recommendations for British-made RTW menswear?
Trousers are my priority, but any suggestions are most welcome.
Cheers,
Eightace
I believe Cordings and Oliver Brown still produce domestically manufactured RTW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads