• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Northern NSW. Travel to Sydney for work & Brisbane occasionally to see ageing relatives.
At this point I'm open to anywhere in Australia. Feels like the last few decent places I knew of didn't survive COVID & either no one wants to ship here, or shipping is more expensive than the furniture.
Eclipse furniture https://www.eclipsefurniture.com.au/
I have strawberry mountain ash table seat eight comfortably and a Tallboy of six drawers which are twenty years old and have aged beautifully.

The table alone is an excellent raconteur.

Highly recommend.

BananaKing

Reaction score
Somewhat shocked to find an actual high-ish rise (sitting between hip crests and umbilicus) and relaxed fit trousers from suitsupply. Even has single reverse pleat and side adjusters. And price is verrrryyy reasonable at $250.

mistermike

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a cobbler who can do flush metal toe taps on a pair of C&J? Ideally in Brisbane but I am happy to post elsewhere if needed. I used to go to Baxter & Black in Sydney but recall reading that Nathan had stepped out of the business.

eightace

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a cobbler who can do flush metal toe taps on a pair of C&J? Ideally in Brisbane but I am happy to post elsewhere if needed. I used to go to Baxter & Black in Sydney but recall reading that Nathan had stepped out of the business.
Kieran the Cobbler

I've had flush metal toe-taps, new soles, topies, new heels, everything - all expertly done, and Kieran is great to deal with.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the quality of MJ Bale knitwear these days? I have a couple of the 'Collection' pieces that are at least 10 years old, from back when they were made in Italy.

I suspect everything is now Chinese-made, but still from good quality Australian wool.

I'm keen to pick up a few things without spending too much money, so it might be an option, assuming they'll last...

left_straussian

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the quality of MJ Bale knitwear these days? I have a couple of the 'Collection' pieces that are at least 10 years old, from back when they were made in Italy.

I suspect everything is now Chinese-made, but still from good quality Australian wool.

I'm keen to pick up a few things without spending too much money, so it might be an option, assuming they'll last...
I have some knitwear that I bought right before Covid and its decent quality - though I would still wait for a sale personally. If you are a bit more money conscious, some of Uniqlo's higher end alternatives (merino, cashmere etc) are decent and typically cheaper.

Their website claims that the suits are 'Grown in Australia, woven in Italy, and Made in Japan' but I don't know if that extends to the knitwear range.

Unrelated, does anyone know a decent alterations tailor in Melbourne? I have some older jackets that need the sleeves taken up (at the shoulder) and my local guy flat out refused to try it.

Funposter

Reaction score

I have a couple of the 95% cotton 5% cashmere pieces. They're made in China, quality is fine. The Delon Crew Knit I picked up on sale, and so it was only $117 or so - well worth the price. I paid the full $200 for a cable crew sweater too, and as with anything from MJ Bale, that was obviously a mistake, but I didn't know any better at the time. Double check the sizing for all items in-store, because the crew knit in Medium was a perfect fit while the Medium cable knit is realistically almost a size too large.

Their website claims that the suits are 'Grown in Australia, woven in Italy, and Made in Japan' but I don't know if that extends to the knitwear range.
That only applies to particular suits in the $1,495 price range, and I believe the MTO suits are also made in Japan.

Honestly, the entire direction of the company seems to be on a downward trend, which I'm sure has been observed by many people (probably in this thread) for a while now. Very marketing-heavy and lots of bollocks about being carbon neutral, but little substance about fit, materials, and where items are actually made. The uniform fit for all jackets and trousers continues to be disappointing.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Markodevil

Reaction score
I have an old MJ Bale jacket that I want to get the sleeves shortened, unfortunately I will need to get it taken up at the shoulders due to the working buttons on the cuffs. Does anyone know of an alterations place in Melbourne (or surrounding suburbs) that can do this well? And if so, how much would they charge?

deadbilly

Reaction score
I have an old MJ Bale jacket that I want to get the sleeves shortened, unfortunately I will need to get it taken up at the shoulders due to the working buttons on the cuffs. Does anyone know of an alterations place in Melbourne (or surrounding suburbs) that can do this well? And if so, how much would they charge?
There are 2 recommendations a few posts up. But I'd love to hear of one not in the Melbourne Central Business District...not even for shoulder work, just to let all the seam allowance out (they seem to have shrunk).
Anton at M & E at the paramount centre on Bourke Street.

Jose Zarpan in the Nicholas building on Swanston St

sensuki

Reaction score
There are 2 recommendations a few posts up. But I'd love to hear of one not in the Melbourne Central Business District...not even for shoulder work, just to let all the seam allowance out (they seem to have shrunk).

Where abouts do you live? I have one other recommendation in St Kilda West

deadbilly

Reaction score
Where abouts do you live? I have one other recommendation in St Kilda West
Thanks, mid northern suburbs, St Kilda West is probably a little hard to get to, anywhere else north of the river, 30 kms from GPO (west, east, north) would be ideal. Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads