• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Coxsackie head off to Dotonbori in Osaka, plenty of street options to choose from. Also Hinoya an altar to all things denim is close by.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And while we're on the subject of music: Melbourne residents might be interested in the 3MBS Beethoven Marathon on Sunday 23rd February. My orchestra (Corpus Medicorum) is finishing up the marathon with a performance of the Fifth. Dadada dum.....dadada dum...... That one.
Fifth is for pussies, go straight to the ninth or do not pass go.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doubtless you also eschew Vacheron Constantin because they're not Patek Philippe.
I love the smell of Shostakovich in the morning.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fact I always do drop in to Dotonbori when I'm there. There's a great yakitori place right down beside the canal. They all yell out a greeting when you walk in. And they serve Kirin draught in a chilled glass with ice all over the outside. Priceless!

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• JaOwIRVPSOaOETh5x%ePqw.jpg
    JaOwIRVPSOaOETh5x%ePqw.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 24
  • UF3OsgPZSuCTNdAebtsETw.jpg
    UF3OsgPZSuCTNdAebtsETw.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 157
  • u3mj3kw7RTi9LVsuF2RKxQ.jpg
    u3mj3kw7RTi9LVsuF2RKxQ.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 147

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm now going to stay in Osaka/Kyoto for a few days after my week's skiing in Nozawa Onsen. Any recommendations for food while in Osaka are gratefully accepted, and yes, I hear what you are all saying about kaiseki - maybe it will just be lost on me. Like taking someone who never listens to classical music to a concert of the late Beethoven string quartets.
No requests for Kyoto recommendations despite your search for kaiseki? Well I will offer one anyway, if you are near Arashiyama, go try Shoraian. Also, Rum & Whisky has a broad selection of rare rums and rhums; I know we are spoilt in Sydney with Plantation but still worth a detour if that is your thing.

I think the late quartets would absolutely make an impression (shock?) on your non-classical listener :p

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will see if I can get a booking at Shoraian.

I suspect that the late Beethoven quartets probably just sound like a jumble of unrelated melodies and weird discontinuities to an unfamiliar ear. They require dozens of listens before they really start to make sense. From then on, their magnificence unfurls further and further with increasing familiarity.

I remember listening to the "Heilige Dankgesang" while alone and fairly drunk at the age of 24. I was in tears by the end. That was the first time I was awakened to the power of this set of masterpieces. 35 years on, I still hear something new every time I listen to them. (And I still occasionally shed a tear.)

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
35 years on, I still hear something new every time I listen to them. (And I still occasionally shed a tear.)
+1

But that is to be fair still true of almost all his works, including the earlier ones. I rediscovered op.10 no. 3 this month (the 7th sonata). I never noticed before that the beginning of the second movement was later copied by Brahms in his horn trio 70 years later (in the Adagio).

Lm90

Reaction score
Hey, has anyone had a negative experience with TFC/Joe Ha? Such as not receiving the product you wanted, details you agreed to were not delivered, denying mistakes, difficulty with communication?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will see if I can get a booking at Shoraian.

I suspect that the late Beethoven quartets probably just sound like a jumble of unrelated melodies and weird discontinuities to an unfamiliar ear. They require dozens of listens before they really start to make sense. From then on, their magnificence unfurls further and further with increasing familiarity.

I remember listening to the "Heilige Dankgesang" while alone and fairly drunk at the age of 24. I was in tears by the end. That was the first time I was awakened to the power of this set of masterpieces. 35 years on, I still hear something new every time I listen to them. (And I still occasionally shed a tear.)
Shostakovich 8th String Quartet For the Victims of Fascism and War. Even more relevant today. The Emerson Sting Quartets performance of the Bartok String Quartets at the STH in the early 90’s was a marathon event, quite an amazing night.

fox81

Reaction score
Hey, has anyone had a negative experience with TFC/Joe Ha? Such as not receiving the product you wanted, details you agreed to were not delivered, denying mistakes, difficulty with communication?

melb based so have never dealt with him, but doesnt sound great. what was your experience?

Memo

Reaction score
In Sydney for a couple of days: anywhere new/interesting to shop, eat or drink?
I like the brekkie/brunch at the Paramount Coffee Project (Surry Hills). Felix (around Martin Place) is an excellent choice for French. Vapiano (King Street) is a great Italian joint - pretty casual, and you can go to the Irish pub next door for a pint after meal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads