• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ovlov

Reaction score
Thanks for both your responses. I've contacted a few MTM places and everyone I have spoken to will do it. However the idea is to save some money in the process and many of the prices quoted don't do that to the degree I'm after.

And yes, apologies, I meant <, I have updated in my post.

The plan is to use high end merchants: Loro Piana, Dormeuil, H&S, HFW, etc. (undetermined yet on an Italian or English cloth).

I'll check out TFC and Bijan (although that's probably out of the picture for the near future unless I decide to get one really high end suit made).

I really don't think this works out too well unless you are finding absolute bargains on the secondary market or looking to use something really interesting like the London Lounge stuff (which would probably be more expensive than most of the stuff a local tailor would source anyway).
If you are looking to get a good first commission I would suggest checking out The Finery Company's Zing Chen bespoke line. I still haven't receieved my first suit from them yet (my fault been ill and will need additional fittings), but I recall the base price offerings already included some very well regarded clothes (Minnis and Fosters I think) and a couple of the other high end books didn't involve that much of a markup.

fox81

Reaction score
If you are looking to get a good first commission I would suggest checking out The Finery Company's Zing Chen bespoke line. I still haven't receieved my first suit from them yet (my fault been ill and will need additional fittings), but I recall the base price offerings already included some very well regarded clothes (Minnis and Fosters I think) and a couple of the other high end books didn't involve that much of a markup.

what is the zing chen pricing like?

ovlov

Reaction score
Iirc the base price was $2500. Mine worked out to about $3600 for DB with extra trousers.

That said prices may have changed since I started my commission last February. :(
(Once again, delay not Joe's fault)

what is the zing chen pricing like?

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last time I checked, Bijan’s prices are now close to, if not, pushing 5 figures. When he makes the suit, the cloth is considered a gift so it’s the labour you’re paying for. As Nabilmust suggested, if it’s CMT you need 1.5x the required amount.

ovlov

Reaction score
The last time I checked, Bijan’s prices are now close to, if not, pushing 5 figures. When he makes the suit, the cloth is considered a gift so it’s the labour you’re paying for. As Nabilmust suggested, if it’s CMT you need 1.5x the required amount.

So what's with all these guys on the SF B&S hawking jacket and suit lengths of cloth? If one needs 1.5x as much material as required ? I personally have not bought anything for a CMT yet but I have been keeping an eye out since there is some really cool unique stuff popping up every now and then, as well as the occasional bargain.

mercury

Reaction score
CMT is frequently done with the HK BaoTou tailors by locals trying to cut costs by bypassing the middleman.
Those old dudes don't have fabrics books in their tiny workshops, and generally won't waste their time with customers going over cloth options, or style advice, as they aren't paid for that. They are just cutters. So bringing your own cloth is essential there. They'll cut your cloth, and ship it across the border into the mainland to be made up.

For those interested, there is a good thread on it here: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ilors-and-fabric-shops-for-cmt-thread.542082/

I've done CMT before in Sydney, but realised there's no real need, and would only do again if something vintage caught my eye, or a cool London Lounge cloth etc. For the time being, there's more than enough choice for me in the current cloth books.

fox81

Reaction score
the other reason to do CMT is where youre going to be in that location for a brief period and want to squeeze in a fitting in only a few days. if you go to the tailor, choose your fabric, have to wait a few days (at best) for the fabric to arrive before the tailor can make you a baste fitting garment, it doesnt work for quick visits. if you can give them the fabric on day one, youre in a much better position to get a fitting done.
sometimes the fabric you want might have to be ordered in from abroad, and that might take a few weeks.

eightace

Reaction score
Hi gents, a question for the Melbournites:

After stringing things out as long as possible, I've finally bitten the bullet, and I'm getting married soon.

So, can anyone recommend a marriage celebrant in Melbourne? A personal recommendation might make the selection process a bit easier.

Thanks in advance.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During my recent sojourn in Sydney i noticed a profusion of men wearing clear acetate spectacle frames. Mind you not a lot of variation in the frame styles people were wearing. They were predominately prescription spectacles with only a small percentage of sunglasses.

As a cultural trend watcher it struck me as interesting both in terms of style and fashion trends. Now back in Canberra I’ve only seen one wearer and that was a geek in the Apple store.

Guess life does move slowly in the provinces.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During my recent sojourn in Sydney i noticed a profusion of men wearing clear acetate spectacle frames. Mind you not a lot of variation in the frame styles people were wearing. They were predominately prescription spectacles with only a small percentage of sunglasses.

As a cultural trend watcher it struck me as interesting both in terms of style and fashion trends. Now back in Canberra I’ve only seen one wearer and that was a geek in the Apple store.

Guess life does move slowly in the provinces.

It's definitely a thing. Have seen them at work even.

smeggett

Reaction score
Hi gents, a question for the Melbournites:

After stringing things out as long as possible, I've finally bitten the bullet, and I'm getting married soon.

So, can anyone recommend a marriage celebrant in Melbourne? A personal recommendation might make the selection process a bit easier.

Thanks in advance.
I'll stick in a plug for my cousin (who married myself and the wife a few years back).

Seems to be well rated regardless, so have a look at Celebrant Kate (https://www.celebrantkate.com.au/)

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definitely a thing. Have seen them at work even.
At bent spoke tonight saw another geek dude wearing them must be a breakout moment happening.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At bent spoke tonight saw another geek dude wearing them must be a breakout moment happening.

Ja Ja Ja

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 3.27.45 pm.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads