• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RGLZ

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I'm back in Melbourne for the first time in a while ahead of maybe relocating back semi-permanently.

I am wondering if there's anywhere new worth checking out - clothes and shoes, but also restaurants/bars/other cool things.

On an vaguely related note, I saw an ad on Instagram for a new store in Oxford St in Sydney which looks promising. Cannot for the life of me remember the name but they had a small stock of Carminas, some good quality knitwear, and looked like they are building into suiting. Has anyone been?

Cheers,
Eden
Anymore details of this store?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double Monk's Collingwood store has a crudely handwritten note on the window saying that they are now appointment only. This seems to be a coronavirus thing that they have made permanent.

I discovered this yesterday when a friend and I walked by after lunch: I wanted to pick up some Saphir products and he wanted to look at jackets.

There was no one in the store other than two staff chatting. They saw but didn't acknowledge us outside. I contemplated knocking on the door but really couldn't be bothered: I really shouldn't have to beg to be allowed to spend my money.

We tried our luck at Pickings and Parry. They didn't have the products I wanted but my friend walked out with an $800 Barbour coat.

I think that DM are trying to cultivate a sort of exclusive club where a handful of customers are made to feel important and cool so that they will keep paying DM's markups.

FWIW, Evans Leather in the arcade off Elizabeth Street has a decent Saphir selection...

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anymore details of this store?

sensuki

Reaction score
I think that DM are trying to cultivate a sort of exclusive club where a handful of customers are made to feel important and cool so that they will keep paying DM's markups.

I went there a while ago impromptu and just called when outside and they said yeah come in, I dunno

I've bought one pair of shoes from there before like 6 years ago, and some minor accessories (saphir, brushes, socks).

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went there a while ago impromptu and just called when outside and they said yeah come in, I dunno

I've bought one pair of shoes from there before like 6 years ago, and some minor accessories (saphir, brushes, socks).

Similar experience recently. There were people in the shop so I pushed on the door, which was locked (!) and one of the guys peered through and I said I wanted to buy some polish so he let me in. The owner was there and gave me a smile, but it was an odd vibe.

Timmers

Reaction score
Any recommendations for reasonably priced cream/off-white socks? To be worn with loafers. Cheers!

Reaction score
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but I was wondering where are good stores in either NSW, Vic or SA for:
  1. Quality men's suits?
  2. Knitwear?
The context is that I will be travelling between those locations this year for work

DL5392

Reaction score
What's everyone go to jacket/coat for winter?
I am in Melb and looking to pickup a Private White Peacoat in the near future, but just concerned the peacoat would be overkill for melb's winter. What are your thoughts?

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's everyone go to jacket/coat for winter?
I am in Melb and looking to pickup a Private White Peacoat in the near future, but just concerned the peacoat would be overkill for melb's winter. What are your thoughts?

Peacoat would be fine. Could wear it without a jumper so no problem overheating, and add a knit on the few really cold days or at night.

eightace

Reaction score
At a celebration dinner last night:

PXL_20220506_120445230.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220506_120521767.PORTRAIT.jpg

Shirt: Luxius
Tie: Henry Carter
Jacket: Chester Barrie
PS: Shibumi-Firenze
Trousers: Paul Stuart
Shoes: Tricker's

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all… looking for slim-fitting v-neck sweaters that fit well under a suit jacket / sport coat without causing a bulge or breaking the wallet. Other than Suit Supply, which fits me well, what else should I be looking at?

P.S. Just bought a yellow one off Charles Tyrwhitt and waiting for it to arrive. Will I be disappointed?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went into DJ’s to try on a CR Puffer Vest..perfect for winter morning dog walking and gym.. try on Large WTF try XL your kidding me XXL for get it. I mean seriously :brick::brick: this is just absurd. I know the quality have gone to **** but seriously..FUBAR

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went into DJ’s to try on a CR Puffer Vest..perfect for winter morning dog walking and gym.. try on Large WTF try XL your kidding me XXL for get it. I mean seriously :brick::brick: this is just absurd. I know the quality have gone to **** but seriously..FUBAR

Not sure I understand. What does the quality have to do eh the best not fitting you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads