• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Good job - they are fantastic.

I've got to get mine resoled, because I have worn them so much. I wonder if I should send them to Baxter & Black, or to Kieran the Cobbler? Or any other suggestions?
agree with @eightace examples have been presented of both on the thread. I’ve only had experience with B&B and was impressed with the result.

Decreased

Reaction score
If MJ Bale fit you well then check out their sale section online:

Or head into one of their outlets if one in your city and have a look as well.

Thanks, everything in that price range in my size is patterned or stretch, but I’ll just keep looking there for updates

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Suggestion for decent grey wool trousers in Aus around $150.
MJ bale fit me well, but have not got many plain options under $200, Spier and Mackay are an option but with 40 shipping small orders make no sense. Have I just not bought clothes since Covid and grown out of touch with current prices and supply issues?

The racks of doom at the majors where everything is polyester give me nightmares from my first job 15 years ago. Please don’t make me go back.

Sometimes you can snag a bargain with Virtual Clothes Horse:

Very responsive if you want something measured.

BananaKing

Reaction score
Yeah they’re probably the ones I just sold. Great shoes, just a tad too narrow for me. Enjoy!

awesome thanks mate. They fit well and I’ll be using them and keeping them. If you don’t mind me asking, Where do you get them initially and get the rubber sole done? The rubber sold is nice clean work.

Davewillbox

Reaction score
awesome thanks mate. They fit well and I’ll be using them and keeping them. If you don’t mind me asking, Where do you get them initially and get the rubber sole done? The rubber sold is nice clean work.
Ha they’re actually the only pair my wife has ever commented on me selling as a negative.
I initially ordered these from on States off ebay. The soles were installed by Evans down in Melbourne. From memory it set me back about $220 or so. Needed some extra pairs with rubber soles to suit our wet summers.

BananaKing

Reaction score
Ha they’re actually the only pair my wife has ever commented on me selling as a negative.
I initially ordered these from on States off ebay. The soles were installed by Evans down in Melbourne. From memory it set me back about $220 or so. Needed some extra pairs with rubber soles to suit our wet summers.
Haha. And similarly it was telling my wife didn’t comment very much on the new acquisition. Definitely nice shoes and I actually like the vibram danite equivalent - seems a little softer than danite but still hard wearing.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF is this CT shirts I do like their OCBD as a casual winter shirt now has a logo of a bird embroidered on the chest. Mother of God FFS…:censored:

PS and happy Fathers Day to all who it applies too.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF is this CT shirts I do like their OCBD as a casual winter shirt now has a logo of a bird embroidered on the chest.

Yes, Charles Tyrwhitt sent me their latest catalogue, as I ordered some corduroy trousers from them last year. I was both surprised and disappointed to see that they've started putting a logo on their shirts.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Charles Tyrwhitt sent me their latest catalogue, as I ordered some corduroy trousers from them last year. I was both surprised and disappointed to see that they've started putting a logo on their shirts.

Heading down a very disappointing path. Also noticed everything in the catalogue is 'non iron'.

em36

Reaction score
The Lindner socks are indestructible either in wool or cotton. One small thing is these shrink, so go for over the calf/knee if you want to have mid-calf after the first dry. Never had a pair wear out, and our two daughters have worn a red heavy wool sock for skiing/winter between them since 2012, and these are like new.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Festival of the Boot continues Wallabies 30 V Springboks 17??

Duchamp_MD

Reaction score
I would like to recommend Christie's RAAF A-2 leather jacket to those of us who wants a good quality trim-fitting leather jacket, http://www.christies.net.au/list.mibiznez?id=325&name=NO PATCH. I purchased one in 40R today from the Pitt St store. It's currently on sale for $235, probably the best value leather jacket out there, comes in sizes from 36 to 48, Short, Regular and Long. I bought the same jacket a couple of years back in 38R, but has put a bit of weight around my gut and passed that onto my wife; I also have a Contact Gear A-2 jacket in S, from the military shop, https://www.militaryshop.com.au/features/a2.html, its goat skin shell is a lot more stiff and dry compare to Christie's, and the hides have a lot more loose grain and insect bites. Its fit follows the modernized US specs of fuller roomy fit. Its S feels roomier than my Christie's 40R.

Christie's jacket is built to spec label 30-1415, the original spec from 1931 that was used in WWII, it is a shirt-like jacket. It should be worn zipped up, its original purpose was a windbreaker, so no layering on top of a shirt. Speaking from my own experience, if you choose a looser fit, the armhole gets quite big with overhanging epaulets, not to mention the excess leather on the chest. If the jacket fits close to your body you may have the most ease in movement, just like how a suit jacket should fit.

"The basic components of the leather shell of an A-2 jacket consist of one piece of leather for the back, one piece for each of the left and right front panels, and two pieces for each sleeve running the length of the sleeve. Wartime commercial versions (i.e., not government contract) and many post-war replicas sometimes use additional pieces for the back and sleeves."

"One characteristic that A-2 pockets definitely did not have was the side-entry or "hand-warmer" secondary pockets. This is strictly a commercial embellishment."

Having 3 large pieces of leather for the body, and 2 long pieces for each sleeve, meaning there will be some loose grain hide being utilized to keep the cost down, unless you want to pay around $2000 for a jacket.

Looking at the photos below, you can see the variances in the colours of the cotton lining and goat skin from different production batches.

View attachment 995305

View attachment 995306

View attachment 995307
Hi,
Thanks for the post. I’m thinking of buying the Christie’s A2 jacket. Would you know if it has any inside pockets say to put a wallet? Also you mentioned you had 2x Christie’s jackets with a slight difference in the leather colour. Is the quality of the leather the same between the 2 Christie’s jackets?
Cheers Duchamp.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member