• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly nothing too heavy. I was thinking more something like this

EDIT - hmm sorry the link didn't work. here's another one
pdv2483_1_orig.jpg

That doesn't look too heavy does it?
Looks very Rhodes & Beckett sale to me.

ovlov

Reaction score
Looks very Rhodes & Beckett sale to me.
Hey! That's a bit harsh now isn't it.

On a different note. Does anyone know a decent shoe polishing service in Sydney? None left here in Adelaide. I have a pair of Tan DMs that I've completely ruined somehow (whitish sheen over the who shoe and antiquing reduced to intermittent dark splotches) and I think need to be stripped back and repolished and antiqued from scratch. Must be beyond my skills since I did such a terrible job with them in the first place :(

Epicure

Reaction score
Hey! That's a bit harsh now isn't it.

On a different note. Does anyone know a decent shoe polishing service in Sydney? None left here in Adelaide. I have a pair of Tan DMs that I've completely ruined somehow (whitish sheen over the who shoe and antiquing reduced to intermittent dark splotches) and I think need to be stripped back and repolished and antiqued from scratch. Must be beyond my skills since I did such a terrible job with them in the first place :(
What's been the usual routine? Did you not buy these shoes recently? I seem to recall you made a post about the purchase not too long ago? You might want to post pics, if you want to try again yourself? There's also a dedicated shoe care thread that shouldn't be hard to come across if you do a search. I'm sure that you'd get at least several helpful replies there. Even if you do ultimately get someone else to do the job, what's stopping you from 'ruining' them again if you don't brush up (at least a little) on the knowledge and skill required for proper shoe care? Of course, you may plan to spend the coin to have someone do it for you each and every time your shoes need polishing/routine maintenance, but that seems more bother than it's worth. Once you've built up a few layers of polish, regular polishing to maintain the overall effect really isn't onerous or that time consuming, assuming you don't really ding up and scratch your shoes all the time.

ovlov

Reaction score
What's been the usual routine? Did you not buy these shoes recently? I seem to recall you made a post about the purchase not too long ago? You might want to post pics, if you want to try again yourself? There's also a dedicated shoe care thread that shouldn't be hard to come across if you do a search. I'm sure that you'd get at least several helpful replies there. Even if you do ultimately get someone else to do the job, what's stopping you from 'ruining' them again if you don't brush up (at least a little) on the knowledge and skill required for proper shoe care? Of course, you may plan to spend the coin to have someone do it for you each and every time your shoes need polishing/routine maintenance, but that seems more bother than it's worth. Once you've built up a few layers of polish, regular polishing to maintain the overall effect really isn't onerous or that time consuming, assuming you don't really ding up and scratch your shoes all the time.

No these are a pair of Cleverlys i bought about 4 years ago. I havent had any trouble maintaining my other shoes. I think the problem here lay with my overuse of clear polish at a time i couldnt get the right colour for them. I've tried stripping them back and repolishing with something darker but they still look awful. I could try again but thought it might be better to leave them with an expert and hope i can maintain them properly once they have been brough back to original condition.

Epicure

Reaction score
No these are a pair of Cleverlys i bought about 4 years ago. I havent had any trouble maintaining my other shoes. I think the problem here lay with my overuse of clear polish at a time i couldnt get the right colour for them. I've tried stripping them back and repolishing with something darker but they still look awful. I could try again but thought it might be better to leave them with an expert and hope i can maintain them properly once they have been brough back to original condition.
OK, no worries then. I'm sure some of the Sydney members will be able to point you in the right direction.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ovlov I had a pair of AE Macneil Oxblood which needed to be equalised in terms of their colouring. B&B Newton did a great job and reasonably priced.

Otherwise inquire at Double Monk?

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drakes winter sale selected items down 50%.

theowbert

Reaction score

Baxter and Black is the go to in Sydney. He's not cheap but the work is pretty impressive and he seems to have a loyal following. I saw someones G&G shoes on his shelf when I was last there. The shelf also had some Edward Greens and other notable shoe brands.

ovlov

Reaction score
@ovlov I had a pair of AE Macneil Oxblood which needed to be equalised in terms of their colouring. B&B Newton did a great job and reasonably priced.

Otherwise inquire at Double Monk?

Thanks for the recs everyone. I waw kind of hoping there would be somewhere good in the conservative business dress/surry hills area. Ill see if i can make it out to Newton though .

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NethTanyang