• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, if all the details are as @Bravo Sierra wanted them, then all good.
As for what the TomDickHarrys on the street notice, I wouldn't doubt that all these details are indeed missed. I don't dress myself for the TomDickHarrys on the street, and I'm sure there are a few others here in the same boat.

On a partially related note, I had the opportunity to get my photo taken after picking up a new suit today and thought I'd make a cross post from the WAWYN casual thread. First time I've posted a fit pic on this thread. Now I just have to wait a month or two for the temperature to drop before bringing it out in the wild. View attachment 932123
Gloria in excelsis viridi!

updog

Reaction score
Good MTM:

saman-amel-jacket-copy-484x700.jpg

Bad bespoke:

BTailor-tweed-jacket-seoul-korea-467x700.jpg

Good bespoke:

sartoria-ciardi-grey-suit-467x700.jpg

The J

Reaction score
So to be clear you can't use Joe to access B&T from Australia anymore?

Joe stopped doing that, but recently brought the B&T MTM back again. I just emailed him a couple of weeks ago, he's doing it again now.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad bespoke:

BTailor-tweed-jacket-seoul-korea-467x700.jpg

Holy mackerel, I didn't realise that Simon Crompton had such massively sloping shoulders.

The suit in the final pic looks to have shoulders that are built up a bit more and I think that is one of the reasons that it looks better on him, in addition to the sleeves sitting much better.

updog

Reaction score
"Very lightly padded shoulders and light chest canvas, with a shirt-style (spalla camicia) sleeve head and only a little fullness (and therefore ripples) at the top."

updog

Reaction score
Could you post a photo of a coat that you think looks good on someone that has sloping shoulders?

nakky

Reaction score

I agree there are limitations with MTM. What you accept or not is up to you.

But as sartorial scholars say, know thy rules and break them. I doubt any tom dick or harry on the street would notice the points everyone has pointed out.

Everyone is dressing for others in some degree.

Sure rules are meant to be broken but that doesn't mean that it's always a good idea. Most of the classic menswear rules are founded in presenting the best masculine figure as possible (excluding the American sack suit).

First time I've posted a fit pic on this thread. View attachment 932123

Is that OTR or MTM? Shoulders are a bit big. Interesting colour which goes with your aesthetic

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The colour is, easily, the best part!

Epicure

Reaction score
I agree there are limitations with MTM. What you accept or not is up to you.

Everyone is dressing for others in some degree.

Sure rules are meant to be broken but that doesn't mean that it's always a good idea. Most of the classic menswear rules are founded in presenting the best masculine figure as possible (excluding the American sack suit).

Is that OTR or MTM? Shoulders are a bit big. Interesting colour which goes with your aesthetic
The suit is MTM. I definitely agree that the shoulders are large, and are accentuated by the fact that they're rising up a bit due to my slouched position and elevated arm. Also the corduroy is hefty, giving the appearance of more structure than there actually is. I may try to post more photos in time. I intentionally asked to have the shoulders extended about 2cm in total (1cm each side) in a effort to present additional breadth in that area to counteract my wide hips to some extent, following some advice that my last MTM from the same maker 'lacked shape' despite being a good fit. However, I'm not sure it had much of an effect. Tailoring can't make up for the fact that I have the sunken chest of my father and don't hit the gym either. I don't expect miracles either and am realistic of what is achievable. For me, this is an acceptable result for a suit I would not have been able to find RTW.

As for who we dress for agreed. Everyone dresses for others at least to some extent. Anyone who says it's entirely for themself is probably not being entirely honest. My point was simply to state that I'm not dressing for any/every TomDickHarry on the street.

Whether one should break the rules... well, I don't have time for an essay to present a series of case studies for an against, so I'll leave that for another time, perhaps.

Epicure

Reaction score
Gloria in excelsis viridi!
Yes, the green is appears a bit more vivid than I'd remembered from the swatch based on the swatch, but in the end I think that's a good thing, and it does change depending on the light. Effectively, I think this will wear in any circumstance I would wear a grey suit, outside of occasions that call for truly formal suit, business or otherwise. My new go-to grey suit, incognito. Of course, I'll be wearing the jacket with non-matching trousers too. I'm thinking both light grey flannel and navy flannel (which I need to acquire) will work very well, but for that matter, I think all my trousers in an appropriate weight should work with the jacket. Ultimately any shade of grey or any other neutral should pair acceptably. Time will tell what works best. And thanks, I appreciate the compliment!

ryanohare

Reaction score
Question:

If you could rid the the clothing world of one brand, what would it be?

I'd have to go for Aquila. Whilst I agree, there are more ostensibly awful and poorly-constructed offerings out there, I must admit to being utterly obsessed with hatred by those horrendous curly-pointy-toed, paper-thin-soled, scuffed, long-laced abominations of footwear.

Id say I conservatively spend 19% of my day roaming the streets of Melbourne on my coffee, lunch, ****-about breaks admiring either the suit, or the correct fit of a suit on some random passer-by, only to draw myself downward to see the next in a long line of Aquila's destroying the entire get-up. Oft-accompanied by a pair of edgy colourful patterny socks.

I've got to the stage where I'm close to stopping said human and pointing out the error of their (foot) ways. I know it'll make me look like a pretentious knob, but I'm not sure I can take it anymore.

So yeah, Aquila for me. That unGodly combination of perceived sartorial quality, overinflated pricing, and shitfulness. The Calibre of footwear.

What's yours?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member