• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Atlanta SF'ers...where to shop?

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Are these three still the ones to see? I will have an afternoon free in Atlanta on Wednesday and was hoping to stop in a few places.

I haven't been to Miller Brothers, but I would probably skip H. Stockton. Unless you love small Southern prep brands, most of the stuff there isn't terribly exciting (Samuelsohn, Bills Khakis, Barbour, Alden shoes, etc.)

Definitely check out Sid's (and stop by Star Provisions on your way out of the plaza).

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
you have no idea. its awful in nashville....and atl is MUCH worse than here.

I'm packing linen
laugh.gif

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhaller
Beyond the typical mall retailers (N. Marcus, Nordstrom, and Saks) there are:

Sid Mashburn
Miller Brothers
H. Stockton
- these are more or less in the Buckehead area

Don't forget Guffey's of Atlanta.

Sid Mashburn's e-commerce web site is up and running now too [http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop.html] -- a bit of a prelude to the visit, as it were...

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
I haven't been to Miller Brothers, but I would probably skip H. Stockton. Unless you love small Southern prep brands, most of the stuff there isn't terribly exciting (Samuelsohn, Bills Khakis, Barbour, Alden shoes, etc.)

Definitely check out Sid's (and stop by Star Provisions on your way out of the plaza).

+1.

You will be very sympatico with Sid's well-curated selection.

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knucklehead
MARTA is a joke.

Absolutely nothing wrong with MARTA. When I lived there and every time I'm in Atlanta, I use MARTA. No worries!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Just saw that the heat index is 110 degrees! Maybe I should take shorts???
smile.gif

Nothing holds up to Atlanta's heat and humidity like super light weight wools. Almost all my summer trousers are lighter colors of these. Yeah, I know the 150's and 160s yarns make a garment that doesn't hold up so well. But personally I'm willing to throw them out after a few years if they get me through the summers feeling relatively cool and looking CCWP. (If you're a southener you'll know what that means.)

Linen turns into a wadded up mess in no time with the humidity. And for some reason I see VERY LITTLE seersucker in the circles I travel in. Which is really too bad because it's the most practical of all fabrics for our summer climate. I swear a person could make a fortune if they actively marketed searsucker in navy, grays, browns and beiges for the southern business market.

You would be perfectly acceptable in a polo shirt, khaki shorts and loafers in any shopping environment in Atlanta - even the most exclusive - that's just the way we roll here when the real heat kicks in. Although I personally would never wear shorts.

The only store in Atlanta that I can reccommend outside of the usuals you can find in any city (Saks, Nordstroms, The Brethren, etc.) is the same as everyone else has already mentioned - Sid's.

You'll find that the Men's furnishings department at Nordstroms has no more than two pocket squares and the least inspiring selection of ties you can imagine. Saks is a bit better. BB is pretty extensive for what it is. I haven't been to Neiman's in years - perhaps someone can fill in that void for you - I just don't know.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Do indeed go to Star Provisions either before or after Sids - food is great there.

All in all Atlanta is a great place to live but not such a great place to shop.
laugh.gif

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bafield
Calling all Atlanta SF'ers, I've just been awarded a contract in Atlanta and I'll be there for a year starting March 1st. I haven't been to Atlanta since 2001 and I have no idea where to shop. Please send me your top 5 list!!!

Also, on a side note, any suggestions for mid to upscale apartments would be appreciated. I want to be located in Mid-Town or Buckhead and prefer something near a Marta station.

Cheers,

B

Midtown has changed a lot since you've last been here. Condo highrises, some ok dining, and even a tiny little bit of pedestrian traffic day and night have filled the Peachtree St blocks south of 14th st. Buckhead is currently a bit in the doldrums in terms of life after work - as several square blocks were leveled for redevolpment right before the economy tanked and thus they still sit empty.

You might like the new area around Atlantic Station if you like newly constructed areas (to shiny clean for my taste - but to each his own.)

I'd look for a condo for rent in Midtown if I were looking to rent in Atlanta right now. There are Marta Stations at 10th Street and right behind the Art Museum. +1 on Marta to the airport -1 for any other purpose.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
he doesnt actually do the tailoring anymore...

Mario is still in the shop everyday - although I don't think he picks up the needle as often as he once did. He has three people working with him that I see regularly when I go in.

He's still the best in Atlanta as far as I can tell.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Ooh, you might also want to check out Bennie's Shoes. Great place!

Great place for what, AE seconds? Bennie's hasn't been worth the trip in a few years now. I think they got burned last time around buying some really fugly Paul Stuart/Grenson overstock, thinking they'd sell by virtue of being Grenson, but the styles were so ugly they stuck around their shop for well over a year. Not sure if they ever did sell them! In any case, I haven't seen anything worth buying there in 2 or 3 years.

Originally Posted by Gdot
Mario is still in the shop everyday - although I don't think he picks up the needle as often as he once did. He has three people working with him that I see regularly when I go in.

He's still the best in Atlanta as far as I can tell.

If Mario does the work, yes. If his apprentices/flunkies do the work, be sure to inspect/fit, as I had several problems with tailoring that Mario promptly fixed after agreeing they were not good. Mario's a master, but as others have mentioned, not sure how much of the actual work he does anymore.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd just go to Sid's store and call it a day, no other store is worth visiting in this heat, it is pretty ******* miserable out there
ffffuuuu.gif

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Great place for what, AE seconds? Bennie's hasn't been worth the trip in a few years now. I think they got burned last time around buying some really fugly Paul Stuart/Grenson overstock, thinking they'd sell by virtue of being Grenson, but the styles were so ugly they stuck around their shop for well over a year. Not sure if they ever did sell them! In any case, I haven't seen anything worth buying there in 2 or 3 years.

+1

I was in Bennies the week before last picking up my non style forum approved shoo care products (no they don't carry Saphir). I was shocked at how bad the shoe selection was - totally shocked. Another long term Atlanta stalwart of upper end dressing has apparently bitten the dust.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

Originally Posted by Gdot
+1

I was in Bennies the week before last picking up my non style forum approved shoo care products (no they don't carry Saphir). I was shocked at how bad the shoe selection was - totally shocked. Another long term Atlanta stalwart of upper end dressing has apparently bitten the dust.

I'm small-time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads