• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

SawdustCaesar

Reaction score
I have been fully seduced by a certain kind of polo shirt collar. While I have seen these marvelous polos a handful of times now I have never been able to get a maker.

I can’t dig up a photo as an example, but maybe you guys might be able to figure out what I’m talking about.

The collar in question is naturally flowing and rolling, with a “high gorge”. There is a spread to it as well, but the collar points are still sizable. Kind of like what you get in a one piece collar from Zegna or similar.

If there is a specific vernacular for this thing, please let me know. I am also trying to figure out where I might start looking.

Best

Capriari of Italy do a shirt style called the Amalfi.

It might be the type of collar you're thinking of...

I'm not sure if they do a polo shirt with the same collar, but it could be worth a look.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of dress shoes that seems to be the right size but the last has too much volume. Can anyone recommend a thick insole that would make the overall feeling more snug?

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are narrow shoe tree heels more prone to damaging shoes?

I find when I put these woodlore ones in my shoes, the heel of my shoe stretches to more of a point, as opposed to filling the entire heel as my other ones do. I wonder if that may distort the shape of the shoe heel.

BB0DDC97-04C9-414A-864C-9E22FAEF9E7F.jpeg

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some thicker/warmer dress socks for winter to go along with my more formal boots, any ideas?

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Hi guys - looking to buy a pair of shoes to complete a tuxedo; would like a pair of velvet or patent leather loafers.

(1) Is velvet fine? I like the look better than patent leather. Was thinking of something like the below, but open to suggestions for patent leather too. I just don't want laced.

(2) Any recommendations at the USD300 mark? Not seeing many good options on sale at the moment.

Thanks!

F-20029148-20029148-BLACK-HRPRODUCT.jpg

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Velvet Albert slippers are OK, not exactly versatile though. The ones you've posted are a bit gauche IMO; black tie should be as minimalist as possible.

You could try searching for a Belgian loafer if you'd definitely like a loafer style. There's a few on The Rake etc.

frackas

Reaction score

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Hi guys - been on the lookout for a couple of light turtleneck sweaters (wool or knitted cotton) that can complement my blazers on more casual days.
Looking at options under USD120 or so. Besides Club Monaco and COS - any other recommendations? Uniqlo and Grana don't sell turtlenecks this season (in HK) unfortunately. Thanks.

Epicure

Reaction score
Would anyone with personal experience have some leads on acquiring a quality silk scarf that wears comfortably against the skin?

My other more specific requirements are:
- ideally, an asking price of no more than $250
- online vendor
- printed paisley with the colourway predominantly brown, accented with cream/ecru; other colours in the mix are permissible as long as they're included in a minor way, and are relatively muted among the browns
- preferably, the ends are not tasseled as I want to wear the scarf mainly tucked inside the front of my shirts (I concede these could be cut off if they were a bother to feel against the skin)

Thanks in advance.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of blazer with flap pockets. I feel like I cannot buy one because it looks like an orphan jacket. How can I find a blazer/sports jackets that do not look like an orphan jacket?

Last edited:

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pocket style is not a differentiator of suit versus blazer - it’s the fabric that differentiates.

However, I think what you may be seeking is a jacket with patch pockets.

ovlov

Reaction score
Pocket style is not a differentiator of suit versus blazer - it’s the fabric that differentiates.

However, I think what you may be seeking is a jacket with patch pockets.
I've been having trouble figuring this out too. Im currently planning on commissioning a new suit, but want it to be versatile enough that i can wear the jacket as a SC as well. Is it just an issue that wosrteds dont work for sport coats but anything else could be fine? Atm I'm thinking of a irish linen with patch pockets. Would that be ok or too casual to work as a suit? Would switching patch for flap help at all?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been having trouble figuring this out too. Im currently planning on commissioning a new suit, but want it to be versatile enough that i can wear the jacket as a SC as well. Is it just an issue that wosrteds dont work for sport coats but anything else could be fine? Atm I'm thinking of a irish linen with patch pockets. Would that be ok or too casual to work as a suit? Would switching patch for flap help at all?

Linen suits are summer wear, and inherently more casual. So I don’t see an issue with patch pockets.

But I also wouldn’t wear a patch-pocket linen suit as a substitute for a ‘suit’. It’s more a twist on a situation where you would otherwise wear a sportcoat / odd jacket.

Flap pockets move it back into slightly more formal territory - therefore if matched with a plain shirt and tie it can just about be acceptable in a more conservative office environment, but have no doubt that you will (speaking from experience) stand out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads