• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

absolem

Reaction score
Could someone point me to a good source for a black grenadine or knit (with a point) tie under $75. Should I get one over the other?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My job has a strict tie policy, and most guys wear a suit with a tie.

Is it a bad idea to start wearing sports jackets (not something in crazy fabrics or colors, just standard navy or charcoal wool jackets with patch pockets) with wool trousers instead of a suit?

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An office whose strict tie policy manifest itself in suits with ties is a wholly different thing from a tie policy whose office culture is one where guys are wearing ties sans jackets.

At the latter, sport coats are a dramatic improvement. With the way you phrased it, navy sport coats may be fine. Charcoal sports coats are problematic for many reasons

herp

Reaction score
Is there any benefit in leaving a shoe tree inside a shoe for longer than 3-4 days, after having worn the shoe? I guess after that time all moist will have left the shoe, hence the shoe tree has no further positive effect?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lasted shoe tree will limit the natural distortion to the leather and shoe produced by walking. As for non-lasted trees, well they do help but not so much.

It's best to leave shoes always with trees in in my opinion.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any companies/tailors who people would recommend for replicating a suit?

No. I believe it's a fallacy that any suit can truly be 'copied' except by the original maker - since there are so many variables in fabric, pattern drafting, construction technique etc.

However, you can have a similar suit made by a bespoke tailor. I would suggest there is a general correlation between the amount you pay to the tailor, and your success rate. You will also help yourself if you select a tailor with a house style similar to the suit you are looking to replicate.

useless_username

Reaction score
Problem: Side vents on a jacket curl outward slightly and stick out when I button the jacket. There seems to be a slight amount of tension in the fabric, which causes the vents to stick out to the sides. Goes away if I wear the jacket unbuttoned. None of my other jackets have this vent problem.

Could excessive waist suppression be the cause? My instinct is that the jacket needs to be let out from the side seams, but I'm no tailor, so perhaps I'm wrong.

Can this be fixed? Any thoughts?

mactire

Reaction score
Problem: Side vents on a jacket curl outward slightly and stick out when I button the jacket. There seems to be a slight amount of tension in the fabric, which causes the vents to stick out to the sides. Goes away if I wear the jacket unbuttoned. None of my other jackets have this vent problem.

Could excessive waist suppression be the cause? My instinct is that the jacket needs to be let out from the side seams, but I'm no tailor, so perhaps I'm wrong.

Can this be fixed? Any thoughts?

If you take a look at recent pages on the cloth thread theres pics of a jacket with a similar issue and the suggestion there is that it be let out at the hips to allow the vents hang straight .

useless_username

Reaction score
If you take a look at recent pages on the cloth thread theres pics of a jacket with a similar issue and the suggestion there is that it be let out at the hips to allow the vents hang straight .

Thanks, I found the discussion. It seems my jacket has a less serious version of the same syndrome. Sounds like it's fixable.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got this scratch on my shoes a few minutes ago. Are they ruined? You an obviously see where the top (polished part) of the leather is peeled off.

IMG-3034.JPG

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would personally use some superglue very carefully to stick down as much of the lifted area as possible. I would then use a polish with a fairly high dye content to make good whatever surface damage remains

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads