• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're better with the Italian makers then.

Barba (black label), Finamore (black label), Truzzi etc.

Kelvin0683

Reaction score
Where can I get solid dress shirts with cutaway/spread collars and french cuffs for around $80-$100? I currently own Brooks Brothers and I looked at Kamakura but they don't have my size. Thanks all.

pyrocryptic

Reaction score
You might say the shirt sleeves could be too big and are getting caught against the suit sleeves. What brand shirts do you wear?
I haven’t really worn an actual suit with a dress shirt yet. I never wear dress shirts, but since I’m going to be wearing a suit soon, I need to get a dress shirt. I’m thinking of looking into brooks brothers Milano. I just purchased an Alfani dress shirt but it’s baggy and I’m concerned it would affect how my suit looks.

alexei

Reaction score
I've been away from this forum for several years. I want to buy some new slimmer fitting flannel dress pants. I was buying Howard Yount pants. I still like the stuff from there, but they don't have much stock anymore (size 32" waist). What pants in the price range of $150-$200 are recommended these days?

facet

Reaction score
Where can I get solid dress shirts with cutaway/spread collars and french cuffs for around $80-$100? I currently own Brooks Brothers and I looked at Kamakura but they don't have my size. Thanks all.
Maybe check out spier and Mackay? I don’t remember the cost for mtm off hand but it’s a pretty good deal from what I remember reading in the affiliate thread.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been away from this forum for several years. I want to buy some new slimmer fitting flannel dress pants. I was buying Howard Yount pants. I still like the stuff from there, but they don't have much stock anymore (size 32" waist). What pants in the price range of $150-$200 are recommended these days?

Check out Mr. Porter's (https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/sale/clothing/trousers?sortBy=discount) current sale offerings. They have pants from Incotex, Canali, etc. I also like my flannel trousers from SuitSupply, whom is also, by they way, currently having a sale: https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/outlet, code is FINALSALE.

DeNomad

Reaction score
I was trying to find a guide to the different types of leather on SF but didn't find anything. Does anyone know of a good intro for footwear newbies? In particular I am wondering as to what leather is most appropriate for foul weather footwear, something that can take a bit of rough treatment and still look nice - water, some snow etc. Ideally able to buff out some marks without to much effort and age well. Roughout leather, waxed roughout, grained leather? Recommendations would be welcome.

fox mike

Reaction score
Guys, I need your help
Does anyone know the name of this guy??
This pic is from Pitti Uomo 93

PITTIJAN18-58.jpg

LLEE

Reaction score
Advice on thick, warm dress socks? Wearing a smart casual shoe with most of the good cold weather socks I have looks pretty silly, but I have relentlessly cold feet to the point I avoid wearing anything but a nice lined boot most of the winter (long tune up here).
Any suggestions for products that don't necessarily look like a boot sock, but provide some comfort would be very much appreciated.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Advice on thick, warm dress socks? Wearing a smart casual shoe with most of the good cold weather socks I have looks pretty silly, but I have relentlessly cold feet to the point I avoid wearing anything but a nice lined boot most of the winter (long tune up here).
Any suggestions for products that don't necessarily look like a boot sock, but provide some comfort would be very much appreciated.
Darn tough is warm and made in vermont.

Quarrel

Reaction score
Looking for recomendations for quality, classic denim for middle-aged guy. I've bought a lot of jeans in the last couple of years, hoping to find something that I can tuck a shirt into and wear to work. I'm 5'11" and 190 and everything seems too tight, or the rise is too low, etc. I used to wear Bonobos, but the straight fit is now too tight in the legs and the leg opening is too small.

I think that skinny jeans look ridiculous on me and on older guys generally. For my sort of general purpose jeans I wear Jean Shop straight rocker jeans and find that they fit well, but they are a bit hard to dress up.

I'd love to find a nice jean that fits and works for a normal guy -- advice/suggestions appreciated.

Quarrel

Reaction score
Well, not to sound unfriendly or anything, but shouldn't this really be posted in Streetwear and Denim, as opposed to Classic Menswear?
Sorry -- haven't been on the site for awhile and saw the forum title said: "Post all Quick Questions Here" and thought I'd ask away.

That said, wouldn't a decent pair of jeans that can be dressed up a bit be a part of a "classic menswear" wardrobe?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads