• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about this guy:

My head to shoulder proportions are about the same as his.

Every time I see Suits I think what a shame he's not wearing a four in hand. The monochrome Tom Ford look is great otherwise.

I also don't think I've dealt with a lawyer in a Windsor yet, but I have predominantly lived in Commonwealth countries with a British tradition of education.

kylesuperstar

Reaction score
Every time I see Suits I think what a shame he's not wearing a four in hand. The monochrome Tom Ford look is great otherwise.

I also don't think I've dealt with a lawyer in a Windsor yet, but I have predominantly lived in Commonwealth countries with a British tradition of education.
Oops, sorry. I didn't mean the Suits guy. I meant the guy who made the YouTube video.

facet

Reaction score
Yeah, the answer is the same for both guys: a four in hand is totally fine for either of them. A half Windsor would likely be fine (and I was having a little fun with my comparisons as they’re from a movie); I just don’t want you pulling a Shannon Sharpe with a full.

DM_090513_NFL_HOGEonTAYLOR.jpg

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks black to me too unless I put it next to a black suit. I'm wearing black shoes, hoping that people would see the difference between black and navy.
no one will care enough to look at your suit and your shoes and determine that you are indeed not wearing a black suit

i had a midnight blue suit
it looks black to everyone ... except if i put it next to something actually black
there was no getting around it
it will just look like a black suit 99% of the time

kylesuperstar

Reaction score
no one will care enough to look at your suit and your shoes and determine that you are indeed not wearing a black suit

i had a midnight blue suit
it looks black to everyone ... except if i put it next to something actually black
there was no getting around it
it will just look like a black suit 99% of the time
I read that for some occasions people suggestion that it's best not to wear a black suit, but a charcoal and navy suit is more appropriate. What is the point of this suggestion if navy ends up looking black anyways?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why do my suit pants pocket always rip at the bottom opening? It's usually the right had pocket too. I read online it's because of stress from putting/removing hands from pockets (I'm right handed). Any thoughts on this?

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read that for some occasions people suggestion that it's best not to wear a black suit, but a charcoal and navy suit is more appropriate. What is the point of this suggestion if navy ends up looking black anyways?
not all navy end up looking black
i specifically mentioned my "midnight blue" suit

my go-to navy suit will never be mistaken for black
so i suggest you pick out a shade of blue that is not too dark

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do my suit pants pocket always rip at the bottom opening? It's usually the right had pocket too. I read online it's because of stress from putting/removing hands from pockets (I'm right handed). Any thoughts on this?
Buy a new suit.

Make it a point never to put your right hand in the pants pocket.

If the pocket doesn't rip at the bottom opening, that's evidence that what you've read may be correct. If the pocket still rips at the bottom opening, that's evidence that what you've read may be incorrect.

Repeat with as many new suits as it takes to constitute a statistically significant universe.

:)

(It would likely make more sense to assign the actual testing to a grad student.)

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It's almost certainly from putting hands/keys/phone/whatever in your pocket. It's a weak point as far as construction goes and stress on it weakens enough to rip. It probably doesn't even take as much wear/stress as we'd think before it goes. The outer edge of pockets also sees wear quite easily and will fray without too much effort, especially on fine fabrics.

Next time you buy a new suit and have it altered, see whether the tailor can reinforce that area or add a few extra preventative stitches.

kylesuperstar

Reaction score

Ah I see. When I think of "navy" I think of the darkest shade of navy, which I thought was "true" navy and what people usually mean or think of when they say "navy.
So when I read these suggestions on "don't wear black, wear navy," it confused me.

kylesuperstar

Reaction score

https://georgehahn.com/whether-its-your-only-suit-or-the-first-of-many-go-navy/
This link for example is one of the ones I read. The author suggests a dark navy suit, but not a black suit. But when I look at his pictures of his navy suit, it looks black thereby confusing me as to why he is recommending dark navy, but is opposed to black.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
https://georgehahn.com/whether-its-your-only-suit-or-the-first-of-many-go-navy/
This link for example is one of the ones I read. The author suggests a dark navy suit, but not a black suit. But when I look at his pictures of his navy suit, it looks black thereby confusing me as to why he is recommending dark navy, but is opposed to black.
first of all, don't listen to anyone and everyone you find on the internet (including myself)

the guy is wearing his navy suit jacket with jeans.... i'd automatically delete his page from my browser history or something and move on

also, you might want to get a new computer monitor because his suit doesn't look black to me on my monitor

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear your dark navy during the day on well lit days and it will look navy. I seem to be in the minority but find that many "navy" suits today are mid-blue rather than navy.

I have a black-navy merino herringbone suit that looks quite dark at night, but takes on an appropriately matt and navy-like navy on a sunny Australian afternoon, even indoors. For some reason I think it goes great with a mid-brown grenadine tie and other muted or textured autumn colours.

bobdobalina

Reaction score
Isaia smoking jacket, $380. Allegedly $3000 at full price. Should I buy it and what does one wear with a smoking jacket?

MVIMG_20180103_120315.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads