• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a good tailor in the northern California area?
Willing to go to the SF/Bay area for a good one

burnham

Reaction score
Where can I get a cardigan like this for 80-200 usd? I'd buy the cordings if it wasn't for their sizes. I will probably need a xsmall/small.

Thanks in advance

bobdobalina

Reaction score
Does this blue striped tie work with this very dark blue jacket?

MVIMG_20171230_201244.jpg

kylesuperstar

Reaction score
I have a navy suit. The darkest shade of navy, I believe. It probably looks almost black to the untrained eye, and I don't want that. I want to make it stand out in a way that people can tell I am wearing a "navy" suit and not a black suit. I plan on wearing black dress shoes, black belt, white dress shirt, and a blue tie. The shade of blue is like this tie: https://tcprd-tdcdn.netdna-ssl.com/classic-blue-microfiber-classic-blue-tie-239973-540-800-0.jpg

Would this make the navy stand out?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a navy suit. The darkest shade of navy, I believe. It probably looks almost black to the untrained eye, and I don't want that. I want to make it stand out in a way that people can tell I am wearing a "navy" suit and not a black suit.

Please understand that I really, truly don't mean to be nasty or unhelpful, but you own a suit in "the darkest shade of navy." So it is going to look black or almost black to many people. Maybe not if you're standing next to someone in a black suit, in good light, but mostly it's going to look black. That's just the reality of it. (Same thing with wearing a really dark charcoal suit, btw.)

If it bothers you, then next time buy a suit which isn't quite so dark a navy.

Or just decide that it doesn't bother you. Which, frankly, is what I'd do.

I plan on wearing black dress shoes, black belt, white dress shirt, and a blue tie.

Classic choices. Not the only possible choices, of course. But they're tried and true and should work perfectly well.

The shade of blue is like this tie

Ouch.

Not a great color. (Not a great-looking tie, in general. But the color...)

If you insist on wearing a tie which will make it easier to see that your suit isn't black, you could wear a black tie. One will see that the tie isn't the same color as the suit, hence the suit isn't black.

Although I'm not a big fan of wearing a black tie with a nearly black suit (and that's putting it mildly). Still, it's an option, I suppose.

Me? I'd probably wear a nice, navy tie.

Although you could simply forget about the whole "See, my suit isn't black" thing, and wear a burgundy tie, a gold pindot tie, an emerald paisley tie, or any of a thousand other types of ties.

kylesuperstar

Reaction score
Please understand that I really, truly don't mean to be nasty or unhelpful, but you own a suit in "the darkest shade of navy." So it is going to look black or almost black to many people. Maybe not if you're standing next to someone in a black suit, in good light, but mostly it's going to look black. That's just the reality of it. (Same thing with wearing a really dark charcoal suit, btw.)

If it bothers you, then next time buy a suit which isn't quite so dark a navy.

Or just decide that it doesn't bother you. Which, frankly, is what I'd do.

Classic choices. Not the only possible choices, of course. But they're tried and true and should work perfectly well.

Ouch.

Not a great color. (Not a great-looking tie, in general. But the color...)

If you insist on wearing a tie which will make it easier to see that your suit isn't black, you could wear a black tie. One will see that the tie isn't the same color as the suit, hence the suit isn't black.

Although I'm not a big fan of wearing a black tie with a nearly black suit (and that's putting it mildly). Still, it's an option, I suppose.

Me? I'd probably wear a nice, navy tie.

Although you could simply forget about the whole "See, my suit isn't black" thing, and wear a burgundy tie, a gold pindot tie, an emerald paisley tie, or any of a thousand other types of ties.
It looks black to me too unless I put it next to a black suit. I'm wearing black shoes, hoping that people would see the difference between black and navy.

What is wrong with the linked shade of blue for the tie btw? I really like blue, but I'm open to other colors. I'm trying to dress conservatively and achieve the "professional" and "innocent" look.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with the linked shade of blue for the tie btw?
Too light, for one thing. A dark navy suit is a serious suit, and you say you're looking to dress conservatively and achieve a professional look, but that tie's not even remotely a "serious" shade of blue. It's like sending someone a ransom note in bubblegum pink ink, where you dot the i in "kill" with a heart. Just not a good match.

Color aside, a bit of texture might not hurt in your choice of a tie. And maybe silk, not microfiber. But it's the shade of blue which is the big problem.

Fortunately, matching a tie to a navy suit is second only to matching a tie to a grey suit, in terms of ease and breadth of choice. I'd likely pull out one of my burgundy ties, but there are tons of other choices which could also work perfectly well.

Heck, I wore a solid eggplant color tie last night. I could see that working just fine with a very dark navy suit.

kylesuperstar

Reaction score
Too light, for one thing. A dark navy suit is a serious suit, and you say you're looking to dress conservatively and achieve a professional look, but that tie's not even remotely a "serious" shade of blue. It's like sending someone a ransom note in bubblegum pink ink, where you dot the i in "kill" with a heart. Just not a good match.

Color aside, a bit of texture might not hurt in your choice of a tie. And maybe silk, not microfiber. But it's the shade of blue which is the big problem.

Fortunately, matching a tie to a navy suit is second only to matching a tie to a grey suit, in terms of ease and breadth of choice. I'd likely pull out one of my burgundy ties, but there are tons of other choices which could also work perfectly well.

Heck, I wore a solid eggplant color tie last night. I could see that working just fine with a very dark navy suit.
Ah I see. My mom bought me like 30 pairs of ties in the past decade, but the blue one was the only clip on ties. I don't know how to tie a tie yet. Wouldn't "textured" be less conservative than solid?

I would look like this with the previously proposed colors: http://assets.nydailynews.com/polop...jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/afp-ph2mx.jpg

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to tie a tie yet.
Then your first task - before figuring out which tie goes best with your suit - is to learn to tie a necktie.

Go to youtube. I'm assuming there are approximately 5000 videos on how to tie a tie.

Specifically, learn to tie a four-in-hand. Then, if you're feeling really adventurous, master the half Windsor.

Then gather up all your clip on ties, and donate them to Good Will. And never, ever buy (or have your mother buy you) another clip on tie for any reason. No, not even a bow tie. (If you can tie your shoes, you can tie a bow tie. If you can't tie your shoes, I'm sure there are youtube videos to walk you through that, too.)

kylesuperstar

Reaction score
Then your first task - before figuring out which tie goes best with your suit - is to learn to tie a necktie.

Go to youtube. I'm assuming there are approximately 5000 videos on how to tie a tie.

Specifically, learn to tie a four-in-hand. Then, if you're feeling really adventurous, master the half Windsor.

Then gather up all your clip on ties, and donate them to Good Will. And never, ever buy (or have your mother buy you) another clip on tie for any reason. No, not even a bow tie. (If you can tie your shoes, you can tie a bow tie. If you can't tie your shoes, I'm sure there are youtube videos to walk you through that, too.)
I've watched a lot of YouTube videos in the past, and I don't know what it is about YouTube videos, but I always end up getting lost. So I asked my dad to show me how a few weeks ago and I was able to tie a somewhat decent one afterwards (don't know the name of the knot). I have a relatively larger/large head, would the full Windsor knot be better?

facet

Reaction score
I've watched a lot of YouTube videos in the past, and I don't know what it is about YouTube videos, but I always end up getting lost. So I asked my dad to show me how a few weeks ago and I was able to tie a somewhat decent one afterwards (don't know the name of the knot). I have a relatively larger/large head, would the full Windsor knot be better?
No, just go with the four in hand. It’s easier to do and a full Windsor, unless your head is like an orange on a toothpick, or has its own weather system, or is like Sputnik (spherical, but quite pointy at parts), will likely be too large.

kylesuperstar

Reaction score
No, just go with the four in hand. It’s easier to do and a full Windsor, unless your head is like an orange on a toothpick, or has its own weather system, or is like Sputnik (spherical, but quite pointy at parts), will likely be too large.
What about this guy:

My head to shoulder proportions are about the same as his.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads