• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Penny is more versatile - it stands out less, and is a touch more formal.

Article 26

Reaction score
Suede loafers - Tassel and Penny, which one's more versatile?
Firstly it depends on the particular models you are considering. That said, I disagree with Simon - if you are comparing the classical penny loafer with the first tassel Loafer then the tassel has the edge.
The penny is ultra casual and probably shouldn’t be elevated to wearable with a suit. It suits denim and chinos, I feel. The tassel was introduced to be a dressier alternative to the penny - and it is - but is also a really good casual shoe. I find I’m able to wear tassels with chinos, linens, flannels and trousers / suits.
The later bastardisation of the both styles (the elongated styles or “too” clean styles) can be more narrowly pigeon-holed, in the classic styles you have greater versatility. I recommend a classic tassel. If you like a more casual looking tassel then buy cordovan as when it ripples it takes on a whole new charm.

The J

Reaction score
Thanks for the great replies - At this stage I am comparing the C&J Cavendish to the Alden LHS/C&J Boston. Was thinking to wear them with casual linen suit in summer and also through fall and spring, but was thinking about wearing them with shorts too - but probably get an espadrille to cover that.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suede loafers - Tassel and Penny, which one's more versatile?
Non-tassel is likely more versatile, but suede loafers are suede loafers. They're a perfectly valid type of shoe, but the suede part does somewhat limit their versatility.

Still, if you want a pair of shoes a level above sneakers or Top-Siders (yet below the level of formality which would permit them to go well with business suits), the suede penny loafer is a decent choice.

Your idea of wearing them with a linen suit strikes me as valid. Wearing them with shorts seems a bit much, however.

Kevin24

Reaction score
I've recently moved to the UK and had to leave my year round button down sport shirts/business casual shirts at home due to luggage space issues.

I was looking at Charles Tyrwhitt and saw they had some very attractive prices on sport shirts. Now quality wise I know CT has been headed gradually downhill for a while. However, I haven't gotten anything from there in a while. Have they become total crap or are they they still somewhat redeemable?

mactire

Reaction score
As you can see, this lovely tee has a bleach mark on the collar. Is it salvageable or is it a lost cause?

I'm willing to pay a decent amount to ensure it lives on, I just don't know if this type of thing is "fixable".

Although I do question the willingness to spend money on a tshirt, I appreciate the pull of a loved item of clothing for whatever reason.

In short the answer is it is salvageable, you can wash it and wear it as is, and likely it will fade over time to a uniform shade. You could also over-dye it if you wanted to, you'll find guides for natural dyes as well as dylon or tie-dye methods online.

Apart from that, stop putting chlorine bleach in your washing machine, its harmful to your clothing and poisonous.

The J

Reaction score
Non-tassel is likely more versatile, but suede loafers are suede loafers. They're a perfectly valid type of shoe, but the suede part does somewhat limit their versatility.

Still, if you want a pair of shoes a level above sneakers or Top-Siders (yet below the level of formality which would permit them to go well with business suits), the suede penny loafer is a decent choice.

Your idea of wearing them with a linen suit strikes me as valid. Wearing them with shorts seems a bit much, however.

Fair point. Might leave the shorts to top-siders and espadrilles. Thanks for answering, I just thought the Tassel suede looks a touch better to wear with odd jackets and trousers than pennys, but pennys does well in any other areas, i.e. occasions without jackets, high rise denim etc.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've recently moved to the UK and had to leave my year round button down sport shirts/business casual shirts at home due to luggage space issues.

I was looking at Charles Tyrwhitt and saw they had some very attractive prices on sport shirts. Now quality wise I know CT has been headed gradually downhill for a while. However, I haven't gotten anything from there in a while. Have they become total crap or are they they still somewhat redeemable?

I wouldn't bother with CT if I were you.

joe907

Reaction score
I get my shirts from Luxire, which works well except for the buttons. The shirts are professionally laundered and I do not have time to begin ironing them every week or the inclination to spend a bunch on hand-pressing. The buttons end up cracking frequently, especially on the cuff. This is true even with their new buttons that they said are more resistant. A shirt by Fray with MOP buttons can go to the same laundromat without trouble, so I know there are MOP buttons out there that can resist industrial cleaning. My question is: what are the most crack-resistant MOP buttons I can try to replace buttons on some of my older Luxire shirts?

partenopean

Reaction score
can anyone help me identify the source of this photo? Obviously something to do with Life, but it's not a cover.
Google searching by image leads only to pinterest pages where this image is pinned.
199961_1343461906.jpg

At least, can someone identify for me what material this coat is made of? It is synthetic? Is it a raincoat?!? German?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I get my shirts from Luxire, which works well except for the buttons. The shirts are professionally laundered and I do not have time to begin ironing them every week or the inclination to spend a bunch on hand-pressing. The buttons end up cracking frequently, especially on the cuff. This is true even with their new buttons that they said are more resistant. A shirt by Fray with MOP buttons can go to the same laundromat without trouble, so I know there are MOP buttons out there that can resist industrial cleaning. My question is: what are the most crack-resistant MOP buttons I can try to replace buttons on some of my older Luxire shirts?
It depends on the depth of the button. cheap shell buttons are 2mm or thinner. These are more prone to breakage. The super thick buttons that are 3.5mm or thicker are prone to chips. I use 2.5-3mm buttons. I seem to get less breakage. Mop is stronger then trocas, and river shell.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
can anyone help me identify the source of this photo? Obviously something to do with Life, but it's not a cover.
Google searching by image leads only to pinterest pages where this image is pinned.
Yes it is a raincoat. It reminds me of a German military raincoat that my father had. It is a rubber of some sort. Possibly neoprene.

199961_1343461906.jpg

At least, can someone identify for me what material this coat is made of? It is synthetic? Is it a raincoat?!? German?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads