• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

chippneckwear

Reaction score
I'm trying to tie a four in hand knot. If I end up getting a nice thick knot the tie is way too short on me.

But if the tie ends up being long and the right length the knot is too tiny as it uses up the thin part of the tie.

Any solutions to this?

1. Buy a tie with a wider neck.
2. Tie a windsor or 1/2 winsdor knot.

Paul Winston
Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com
212 687-0850

BobStrauss

Reaction score
Is the SS Napoli in plain navy a good budget-conscious suit for a wedding, or are there better options?

I have a giant head and wide shoulders, FWIW. Do you think the wider lapels on that suit would look better than other suits with more narrow lapels?

EUtroll

Reaction score
Is the SS Napoli in plain navy a good budget-conscious suit for a wedding, or are there better options?

I have a giant head and wide shoulders, FWIW. Do you think the wider lapels on that suit would look better than other suits with more narrow lapels?

It's a very good option for the price and suits wide shoulders. To me, the lapel width looks very classic. Get it, SuSu has a great return policy if it wouldn't fit!

estranged

Reaction score
Just bought Fratelli Rossetti suede shoes, which are extremely comfortable, but the suede is kind of thin so i am curious if I should use shoe trees in them? I am afraid that shoe tree will stretch out shoe too much. I have Meermins calf skin oxfords and they are literally 3 times more sturdy than than these.

Or perhaps I should I put some newspaper inside?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just bought Fratelli Rossetti suede shoes, which are extremely comfortable, but the suede is kind of thin so i am curious if I should use shoe trees in them? I am afraid that shoe tree will stretch out shoe too much.

t's unlikely - not absolutely impossible, but pretty unlikely - that shoe trees will harm your shoes. The primary exception would be if you somehow managed to jam a much too large tree into your shoe. For example, if you wear a size 7 shoe, and (don't ask me how) forced an XL shoe tree into it.

If the suede were so thin and fragile that a shoe tree could damage it, I'd suggest the shoes would be too fragile to wear as shoes. They'd be more akin to delicate pieces of art which resemble footwear. :)

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Buy a tie with a wider neck.
2. Tie a windsor or 1/2 winsdor knot.

Paul Winston
Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com
212 687-0850

Just to clarify the tie is Drake's and the regular width (not slim width). It should tie a beautiful knot. It is obviously something I am doing wrong. If I get a nice thick knot the tie is so short that the extra fabric behind the tie hangs below the tie length.

facet

Reaction score

Just to clarify the tie is Drake's and the regular width (not slim width). It should tie a beautiful knot. It is obviously something I am doing wrong. If I get a nice thick knot the tie is so short that the extra fabric behind the tie hangs below the tie length.

Maybe do a double four in hand? I thought FIHs were inherently slim nots to begin with?

flvinny521

Reaction score
Is lowering the belt line on trousers the same thing as reducing the back rise? I've seen this referenced multiple times in regards to cleaning up pants that bunch up on the back of peoples' legs, and I have that issue often as well. It is partly resolved in suits by wearing suspenders, but for casual pants, I need some other way to fix it.

rigon28

Reaction score
Any shoe recommendation for a blackjack dealer? I stand for one hour in one spot then take a 20min break. Then stand again for an hour. So 6 hours standing total in an 8 hour shift. Shoes must be black, would allen edmonds park avenue be a viable option?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any shoe recommendation for a blackjack dealer? I stand for one hour in one spot then take a 20min break. Then stand again for an hour. So 6 hours standing total in an 8 hour shift. Shoes must be black, would allen edmonds park avenue be a viable option?

You may want to be in some gel insoles to be more comfortable.

estranged

Reaction score
Is it possible to tell how these Fratelli Rosetti shoes are constructed? Salesman told me it's blake stitched, but i don't see ANY stitches anywhere. I removed the padding inside the shoes and I can't see stitching over there, also not on the sole (as you can see on the picture). He also said that the outside stitching is made purely for looks.

DMVawter

Reaction score
Unrelated question: I was in Kilgour a few years ago and in the front window was an outfit featuring a dress shirt with collars that had been snipped at the tips, forming a right angle rather than a point. It was so odd I couldn't take my eyes off of it. Anyone familiar with this style and know what it is called?

styleforumfan

Reaction score
I have a pair of pinstripe dress pants with leg openings that are a bit too wide for my taste. Is it possible to get them tapered at a tailor or they are not going to come out right with the pinstripes? Thanks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads