• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And you've already received a ton of great advice. The Alden long wing in #8 shell, or a nice Alden style boot would be perfect for what you want.

They're shoes. This is either a terrible case of paralysis by analysis, or you're just bs'ing. Again, they're shoes. Buy some you like the look of and see if they fit. There's no perfect shoe for wear with your blazer, jeans, and t shirt.

kopo

Reaction score
Recently got this pair of Monte Rosso Lazios. Can these shoes be shined like AE Park Avenues? Trying to avoid buying patent leather shoes for my tux. The leather seems a little too soft perhaps?

Last edited:

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the USA, off of style forum, I agree 100%. Every time I see someone wearing monks in a professional setting they're dressed in some "look at me" combination of colors and fits. You really run the risk of being "that guy" when you wear monks.

There are too many answers from too many people who should still be asking.

@estranged:
I generally want to be "that guy" so tread cautiously if you agree with the opinion stated above.

Last edited:

justonemore

Reaction score

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. By 'versatile' I did not mean in a way that it would work with many different suits and formal outfits, but that I could dress it down if needed. I am not worried that something won't work with a suit, but I want shoes which can work in business casual environment, and also work on a date in the evening with some dark jeans or other solid pants and a polo for instance.

Thank sir for your advises, I just don't like doing quick purchases. Month ago I bought shoes which I know regret, and it's wasted money. Also bought shorts and jeans which I regret. I just want to make a really good purchases.

I think my problem is that I am in 'Classic menswear' forum, and I am leaning partially towards younger audience as I am just 26. So yes, on paper oxfords with jeans are not good, but in real life maybe it can look great? Polo/t-shirt with blazer is also bad on paper, but maybe if I see someone doing that I will think that it looks great. 

I mean most people don't know the 'rules', right? They know that something looks good or bad. If I don't know the 'rules' and someone if wearing DM with jeans I would think he looks much better than someone wearing sneakers, but it's not according to the dress code, etc. Just what I am thinking, perhaps I am wrong.

I've never worn shoes on paper but I can tell you that none of the oxfords in my closet have ever appeared to me in person to go well with jeans or "khakis". For those outfits I go with the tassels I recommended earlier. The suede DM can work casually...but once again is not ideal with either end of the spectrum as to formal & informal. They will work with suits in a casual atmosphere...they are not great with jeans...but better than an Oxford.

The burgundy tassels will go nicely with anything up to suits...and I'll pair them with certain suits for certain casual events...but again...very sporty and not ideal for your dressier events..

If I had to go with one... and wore suits 1 day a year (to the office picnic perhaps)...it would be the tassel loafers....

The would never pair the derbies shown earlier with a suit...I would also find them off with jeans..that's me...to me most derbies are trouser/SC shoes...

As to age....I have 15 years on you...so sure..generational style differences might....but let's not pretend that we're all 80 year old bank execs on this side of the forum either.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the most normal Boglioli unstructured jacket cut? I'm seeing some "regular" jackets listed with sub-29 length measurements and don't want to get a bum freezer.

Last edited:

acinod

Reaction score
Modern shell tanning isn't what it used to be, due to EPA regulations. Do a search for "shell water welt".

I'd take grained calf over modern shell in the rain.

I was worried grained calf might not be formal enough for a suit.

Ultimately, I ended up getting a pair of RM William Craftsman boots with the dynamic flex sole as my go-to rain shoes.

vighmate

Reaction score
Dear Styleforum Members,

I am a first poster here. Recently I ordered my first bespoke suit from my tailor and after my third visit I have made some photos (see the images below). When I tried on the suit it felt good but now looking at the photos I am not convinced that the jacket is long enough. The length of the sleeves is more or less OK (however I wouldn't mind to have an extra 0.5 cm) but the jacket itself could be a tad longer (about 1.5-2 cm). Is it just me or am I right? (The sleeves will be slimmer than in the pictures). I am not sure whether it is possible or not to make the jacket a little bit longer in this stage.
I would be obliged if you could give me some suggestions and your opinion about the fit.
Cheers.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really hard to tell in those pictures, at least on my phone. It APPEARS to have a shoulder divot indicative of a jacket that doesn't match the slope of your shoulder.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the shoulder assessment. Jacket length is fine to me for a European cut. I suggest lengthening the sleeves to cover 1/2 of your watch. That will make jacket look a tad longer.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, as always, white and pale blue are probably the most versatile. I also have pale blue striped, indigo blue herringbone, and salmon. For casual wear, I like linen shirts with end-on-end weaves (colored warp thread, white weft thread) because of how it brings out the texture.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What's the most normal Boglioli unstructured jacket cut? I'm seeing some "regular" jackets listed with sub-29 length measurements and don't want to get a bum freezer.

I have at least 6 Boglioli jackets, and I am hesitant to make bold claims. I am a IT 52, and I have one K that is probably closer to a 51, and another that is like a 53.

Boglioli works well for me because I am a bit long armed and athletic built for my height - if I need a 50 at 6ft, the length would start to be an issue.

If you are short armed and or real lean, arm and or coat length will likely be an issue

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have at least 6 Boglioli jackets, and I am hesitant to make bold claims. I am a IT 52, and I have one K that is probably closer to a 51, and another that is like a 53.

Boglioli works well for me because I am a bit long armed and athletic built for my height - if I need a 50 at 6ft, the length would start to be an issue.

If you are short armed and or real lean, arm and or coat length will likely be an issue

I wear 52 as well, but I'm closer to 5'10", broad shouldered, and have long arms. (Need at least 18.5" shoulder measurement, and wear 34/35 sleeve length.)

Hopefully it will work for me. I just don't want a super fashiony short jacket.

Kevin24

Reaction score
Quick question,

I was wondering how the quality of Hugo Boss's odd trousers are?

Specfically their summer cotton ones?

I know to stay away from their suits/sport coats but I've heard their trousers actually aren't too bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads