• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

justonemore

Reaction score
The suede monks are your most versatile. The 2 oxfords (as I've mentioned the past several weeks) are not casual in any sense of the word. Others may not like double monks but they are far from rare outsider shoes that will get you ostracized as others try to say. Have doubts? Every company makes at least one DM model all the time. Lobb is famous for their DMs. I myself am out of this conversation as of now. You want oxfords with jeans, go for it...but after 2 months of back and forth you'd think you might have found something by now with all the advice the SF community has given you.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I didn't realize this was the same guy. I'll restate - leather soles with jeans looks weird. A blucher boot might be passable, but it won't look great with a suit.

On edit: a long wing blucher is another possibility.

Last edited:

acinod

Reaction score
Check out C&J, they do a few models on rubber. I don't think I've ever seen a C&J balmoral on rubber though.

I've worn shell chukkas with a suit, and I think it was appropriate. I think it would totally depend on the suit and the shoe, in your case. Ultimately, compromise is often necessary. It's not like someone will punch you in the face for wearing suede chukkas with a "smart" suit.

On edit; what about overshoes? Swims is a good brand.

Thanks I'll check C&J out. I was considering shell as well but was worried they might be annoying to care for if they get wet. Would shell be better than calf in the rain?

On a budget, I'm guessing any pair with a rubber sole from Meermin might also work? Those dress boots look quite nice; I've never owned dress boots before.
https://meermin.es/catalogo.php?x=0&y=0&s=rubber

Although winter here might end before I receive anything from Meermin...

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modern shell tanning isn't what it used to be, due to EPA regulations. Do a search for "shell water welt".

I'd take grained calf over modern shell in the rain.

justonemore

Reaction score

Post count appears to mean nothing as to knowledge. You're at 6'000 posts and still advising that oxfords are versatile casual shoes. I've been in the game the last decade, have 50 pairs of shoes in my collection, and have posted thousands upon thousands of times (yet only 300 or so posts on this particular forum).... you are certainly entitled to your opinion...but many posts does not an expert make...and no mattee how many pists someone has, oxfords are not casual shoes that will go from jeans up to business casual up to casual suits

Last edited:

justonemore

Reaction score

The first style is infinitely more versatile than the monk.

I completely disagree. Monkstraps are probably the least versatile among the shoes shown. They are relative oddballs and are definitely outside the norm in terms of what is primarily seen on the street today. If that's what you are going for then that's fine, but they are definitely not versatile. Lurk moar.

think we need a 1000 post minimum for anyone wanting to give advice...

I think those 3 posts all offer a starting point as to what I am arguing as to someone looking for a wide range shoe... or was your account hacked?

Last edited:

estranged

Reaction score
The first style is infinitely more versatile than the monk.
Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. By 'versatile' I did not mean in a way that it would work with many different suits and formal outfits, but that I could dress it down if needed. I am not worried that something won't work with a suit, but I want shoes which can work in business casual environment, and also work on a date in the evening with some dark jeans or other solid pants and a polo for instance.

The suede monks are your most versatile. The 2 oxfords (as I've mentioned the past several weeks) are not casual in any sense of the word. Others may not like double monks but they are far from rare outsider shoes that will get you ostracized as others try to say. Have doubts? Every company makes at least one DM model all the time. Lobb is famous for their DMs. I myself am out of this conversation as of now. You want oxfords with jeans, go for it...but after 2 months of back and forth you'd think you might have found something by now with all the advice the SF community has given you.
Thank sir for your advises, I just don't like doing quick purchases. Month ago I bought shoes which I know regret, and it's wasted money. Also bought shorts and jeans which I regret. I just want to make a really good purchases.

I think my problem is that I am in 'Classic menswear' forum, and I am leaning partially towards younger audience as I am just 26. So yes, on paper oxfords with jeans are not good, but in real life maybe it can look great? Polo/t-shirt with blazer is also bad on paper, but maybe if I see someone doing that I will think that it looks great.

I mean most people don't know the 'rules', right? They know that something looks good or bad. If I don't know the 'rules' and someone if wearing DM with jeans I would think he looks much better than someone wearing sneakers, but it's not according to the dress code, etc. Just what I am thinking, perhaps I am wrong.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. By 'versatile' I did not mean in a way that it would work with many different suits and formal outfits, but that I could dress it down if needed. I am not worried that something won't work with a suit, but I want shoes which can work in business casual environment, and also work on a date in the evening with some dark jeans or other solid pants and a polo for instance.

If this is what you want then both the oxfords and the DMs are less than ideal. I'd suggest something like this. I love derbies with some broguing with a pair of jeans, or trousers and a sport coat. This leaves you with a sober and not-too-flashy shoe that solves the oxford formality problem. Derby brogues in a dark color are an amazingly versatile shoe and a casual one at that.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank sir for your advises, I just don't like doing quick purchases. Month ago I bought shoes which I know regret, and it's wasted money. Also bought shorts and jeans which I regret. I just want to make a really good purchases.

I think my problem is that I am in 'Classic menswear' forum, and I am leaning partially towards younger audience as I am just 26. So yes, on paper oxfords with jeans are not good, but in real life maybe it can look great? Polo/t-shirt with blazer is also bad on paper, but maybe if I see someone doing that I will think that it looks great. 

I mean most people don't know the 'rules', right? They know that something looks good or bad. If I don't know the 'rules' and someone if wearing DM with jeans I would think he looks much better than someone wearing sneakers, but it's not according to the dress code, etc. Just what I am thinking, perhaps I am wrong.

You're asking the wrong questions. Shoes are 98% about fit.

You want shoes not to wear with a suit? Any of the suggestions have been fine.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think there is something you need to understand. People were responding to your versatility question. Whether or not DMs look "good" in any given context is another thing entirely. There is nothing wrong with DMs, they are just another type of shoe. It's not like they can never look good. But that is up to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics