• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

sbostan

Reaction score
Hi. I have been going through the forum for the past few months and finally decided to sign up! I am looking to buy rlbl Anthony and have tried 2 different suits in 42r but found there to be slight difference in shoulder measurement. These were used suits from different seasons_ so is it likely they have been altered or is there a (in)consistency in sizing through the seasons? One was 19.25inch and the other 19.

Thanks

Last edited:

estranged

Reaction score
Trying to choose most versatile shoe out of these, what do you think (i would like it to lean more to the casual side):

It's so hard because I equally like all of them. I'd say I love the looks of burgundi semi-brogue most, brown calf double monks would come close second, but what are the most versatile?

estranged

Reaction score
For casual versatile go with the leather monk. This will go with suits and business casual.
I am not really worried about suits, because I almost never wear them (and I have brown cap toe oxfords in case I do wear a suit). I was thinking something like business casual and less formal outfit. For example going to a date in the summer evening, etc. I know there are much more casual options, like boots or loafters, but I just really dig the looks of these kind of shoes I shown.

How would the 1st shoe (burgundi brogue) compare to the double monk you advised in terms of versatility?

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to get the ladies to notice, go with the double monk. Actually either leather or suede but leather is more versatile. Monks are really best for casual

The brogues are nice but in my opinion too business oriented for dates and fun.

Btw, did you see the latest Entourage movie. If not google. Ari and others rocked the double monks hard and they looked good if you like that style

Last edited:

Malthus

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know a good resource where I can start reading about clothing fabrics and what suits which season? Happy to buy a book as well.

Thanks,

Malthus.

acinod

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some dress shoes to wear on rainy days? I only have leather soled shoes and looking to buy something different for the rain.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For casual versatile go with the leather monk. This will go with suits and business casual.

I completely disagree. Monkstraps are probably the least versatile among the shoes shown. They are relative oddballs and are definitely outside the norm in terms of what is primarily seen on the street today. If that's what you are going for then that's fine, but they are definitely not versatile. Lurk moar.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I completely disagree. Monkstraps are probably the least versatile among the shoes shown. They are relative oddballs and are definitely outside the norm in terms of what is primarily seen on the street today. If that's what you are going for then that's fine, but they are definitely not versatile. Lurk moar.

In the USA, off of style forum, I agree 100%. Every time I see someone wearing monks in a professional setting they're dressed in some "look at me" combination of colors and fits. You really run the risk of being "that guy" when you wear monks.

There are too many answers from too many people who should still be asking.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone recommend some dress shoes to wear on rainy days? I only have leather soled shoes and looking to buy something different for the rain.

What shoes are you used to? If you buy from the middle quality bench made range of options, Allen Edmonds is now offering a large number of rubber soles options. If you're more a JL or G&G kind of guy, you'll probably need to spec a rubber sole on a MTM order (Vass would be a good option).

acinod

Reaction score
What shoes are you used to? If you buy from the middle quality bench made range of options, Allen Edmonds is now offering a large number of rubber soles options. If you're more a JL or G&G kind of guy, you'll probably need to spec a rubber sole on a MTM order (Vass would be a good option).

I'm still starting off my shoe wardrobe, just been rotating between my Loake Strands and Loake Aldwych for work. I've worn them a once or twice on a rainy day already but it doesn't feel right since the leather sole gets soaked.

Being in Australia, I prefer not to get Allen Edmonds because I feel I can get something better for the shipping costs. Also I feel the styles can be a bit clunky sometimes (definitely prefer a sleeker fit). G&G is definitely out of my budget for now as they are a large step up from my Loake's. $500 is probably the max I would go.

I have a pair of suede chukkas with a dainite sole, do you think I can get away with wearing them with a suit in the rain while I decide on a more appropriate pair of shoes?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out C&J, they do a few models on rubber. I don't think I've ever seen a C&J balmoral on rubber though.

I've worn shell chukkas with a suit, and I think it was appropriate. I think it would totally depend on the suit and the shoe, in your case. Ultimately, compromise is often necessary. It's not like someone will punch you in the face for wearing suede chukkas with a "smart" suit.

On edit; what about overshoes? Swims is a good brand.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads